• This topic has 48 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by andeh.
Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Which GPS do I want?
  • wheelie

Ram.Stands a bit higher than the Garmin but GPS is held very securely in a cradle.

CraigW
    Free Member

Anyone know of a good mount for the Etrex 20?

The standard Garmin mount (as used by the Etrex 10/20/30, Dakota, Oregon etc) works fine. And not too bulky on the handlebars. I think it is worth getting a genuine Garmin one, some of the cheap copies are not as good.
    Plus attach a lanyard around the bars just in case.

BadlyWiredDog

Spent a fair bit of time comparing a Satmap with a Garmin GpsMao64s for walking/running duties (as I wanted proper buttons for use with winter gloves). Went with the garmin in the end, but both pretty amazing bits of kit. Garmin screen seemed a little easier to read in bright sunlight, but main attraction was familiarity as we already have garmin bike (edge) and running (forerunner) devices and know our way around garmin connect.

I’ve used both Garmins – mainly outdoors ones – and the Satmap, both the 10 and the 12 and while the Garmins tend to be good on the hardware side of things, I still find the interface really non-intuitive, though you get used to it. The screen on the Active 12 is great, really clear, and the interface is good too, just very logical and easy to use.

It’s not 100% waterproof in the sense of being submersible for minutes – not ideal for kayaking say – but it is pretty much splash proof and I’ve never had issue with it on the bike. You can buy a fully waterproof cover if you choose. The screen protector scuffs up really easily – it’s a clip-on polycarbonate thing, and water gets under it and dries out leaving scummy deposits, but you can discard it and fit a stick-on protector to the actual LED screen or on top of the polycarbonate clip-on shield.

You also need to use Satmap’s own software to upload and download GPX files, but it’s not a big deal to be honest. Ultimately I suppose I just find the Satmap a nicer experience all round, but plenty of people use Garmins quite happily.

craig24
    Free Member

Does anyone know of a decent bike mount for the Etrex 20? Its a great GPS for the bike but the only mount I’ve tried –

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-Motorcycle-Handlebar-Mount-for-Garmin-GPS-eTrex-Dakota-10-20-30-New-/261497169530?hash=item3ce272267a:g:eE0AAOSwrklVJ2Oj

Its terrible, however tight I make it, it either spins round the bar or the Etrex ejects itself.

scotroutes

I use that mount for an Oregon and it’s quite a bit chunkier than an Etrex.

1/ cut a bit of inner tube as a wee shim and use that between the bar and mount/zipties. That will give them a bit extra grip.

2/ if your bars taper at all then you’ll find (any) mount will slip down. Wrap some insulating tape round the bar a few times at the thinner end of the taper before fixing the mount. That should stop it migrating.

3/ If your stem is long enough or you don’t have any spacers above it you may find the mount attaches there pretty well. That works on my tourer.

There’s nothing specific about the Garmin mount doing this. I’ve experienced the same issues with lights, bell and other bike computers.

crazy-legs

Either I’ve screwed up big time or I’ve got a duff model (Edge Touring Plus), it will not keep the same settings no matter how much I alter it at the start of every ride – by the time I turn it back on again it’s all changed.

Main one is auto-recalculation which I want either prompted or off altogether. Well now it’s stuck at “on”.

I took it out earlier to give it a clear view of the sky and tried a couple of “turn off, turn back on” but no, it’s still stuck with it. Factory reset time next then if that doesn’t fix it, it’s going back to CRC and I’ll stick with my dumber but better Edge 500. Or come back to this thread, look through the other recommendations and get something else!

scotroutes

Sorry James, I’ve no experience of the Touring models and I’d not like to extrapolate from my Edge/Dakota/Oregon.

craig24
    Free Member

Cheers Scot I’ll give your suggestions a whirl.

andeh

Had a fondle of the Active 12 today in Cotswolds. I was impressed, particularly by the quality of the screen, which seemed really clear and with a comparatively high resolution. I thought the buttons might be a bit more fiddly but it didn’t seem to be an issue. Essentially though I just confused myself a bit more, they both have positives and negatives, though I doubt I’d ever think “damn, I wish I got the other one”.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Which GPS do I want?’ is closed to new replies.