Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Which GPS?
  • stevede
    Free Member

Afternoon all,
    i’m contemplating buying a gps unit and totally clueless on what i’m looking for really. I’m after a unit that will allow me to download routes to follow when i ride solo in new places – travel quite a bit with work which means lots of potential for new riding but no confidence in my nav skills. I’m also doing JOGLE with one other rider in august so would be handy for that too. My main requirement is to be able to follow routes that i’ve downloaded onto the unit (gpx files i think?). Distance covered would also be handy but have no requirements for heart rate,altitiude,average speed etc
    Help 😳 Please!

Cheers in advance,
    Steve

Edit – i don’t have or intend to purchase any kind of iphone type device so apps for that although probably brilliant won’t fit the bill for me.

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Its got to be a Garmin edge for you then 705 or 800

snaps
    Free Member

Garmin Oregon has been faultless for me for the last 18 months

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    clubber
    Free Member

Bigface0_0 – Member
    Its got to be a Garmin edge for you then 705 or 800

No need for a 705 if you don’t want hr etc. The 605 does that.

But unless you really need mapping a basic Garmin Etrex H will do the job perfectly well.

DavidB
    Free Member

605 seconded from an Edge 705 and 800 owner here. 605 can be had for a good price now and works with Openstreetmap

stevede
    Free Member

Cheers everyone for suggestions, had a quick look and i think the 605 looks about right.
    Quick question – excuse my ignorance and total lack of technical know how, how would i go about finding other peoples routes and putting them on my own unit?
    Cheers,
    Steve

Trimix
    Free Member

Ive got the Oregon which has on it as a base map the whole of the UK as an OS map at 1:50,000 scale.

So its like an electronic map with all the GPS you will need.

You can import GPX files into it and follow them, or export your own route for someone else to use. Check the web for GPX files – loads of sites do them. With the Garmin its pretty easy to plug it into you PC an import/export the routes.

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

http://www.gpsies.com

Find you route and export to gps.. job done ENJOY

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Satmap with 1:50k UK OS Map bundle if you travel a lot, 1:25k is better but 1:50k is ok.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

How well does the Oregon work on an MTB? i was looking at the edge 800 but thinking the Oregon might actually be a better bet due to its bigger screen. Also like the AA batteries. what do you lose though? does it still work with a HR monitor and use it as a bike computer?

JustGoRide
    Free Member

The Edge 605 should do the trick, but don’t expect too much detail out of the base maps. If you just want follow the line navigation you could just go with a 205 or 305? I also have both the 705 and 800 but unless you want all the training features they will be overkill for your needs.

As for routes, check out http://www.justgoride.co.uk 😉

stevede
    Free Member

Thought i’d add to my oiginal thread rather than start yet another gps thread. I’m pretty much decided on the garmin edge 605 now but still need to clear up a few things if anyone can help me out before i buy next week.
    Firstly i’ve read that the base maps that come with it are pretty poor so would it work downloading an openstreetmap onto a micro sd card and plugging it in?
    If so which one would people recommend as i don’t know what i’m looking for at all. My offroad navigation will be via routes downloaded from gpsies or justgoride so just follow the line and turn when beeped at so don’t really need OS standard mapping for that.
    I am hoping to be able to use it on my JOGLE road ride in the summer as well though and was wondering if the openstreet map would be any good for that as well or would i need a seperate map for that?
    I’m not wanting to spend money on more maps on top of £200 ish on a gps unit so free maps are preferred!

Please help a confused technophobe if you can!
    Cheers in advance,
    Steve

Milkie
    Free Member

I haven’t used the OpenStreetMaps, but have heard they are good for road use.

You cannot get OS quality maps for the Edge 605/705, I wish we could! The closest you’ll get is this:
    Garmin UK TOPO Maps
    That’s what I use when off-road, and the detail is pretty poor, no contour lines and only a few rivers/streams.

If you wanted to navigate via the GPS rather than following a pre loaded route, I would suggest a Garmin with OS maps like the 800. I have the 705 and its fine for following pre loaded routes, although you don’t always get the turn by turn directions, it depends if the person has put them on the GPS route, else you’ll have to add them in with Garmins supplied software.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Check out the Garmin Dakotas. Does what you want, cheap(ish) and the touch screen is good.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

touchscreen not such a good idea for mountain biking – muddy gloves plus trying to select controls whilst the bike is moving – hard enough with a touch screen gps in the car.

satmap has nice big buttons…

andytherocketeer

Assuming the 605 works the same way as other Garmins (eg eTrex), installing an openstreetmap is pretty easy…

1. grab the necessary gmapsupp.img file from one of many sites, for the area you want.
    2. copy it on to the microsd card in a folder named GARMIN
    3. stick the card in the GPS

I tried a few before, but think it’s the velomap.org ones I have at the moment:
    http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/Download

That should work on a all mapping etrex, dakota, oregon, etc. that have a microSD slot, and possibly the mapping edges too.

Detail will vary on location. Around here they have pretty much every trail you can find. Elsewhere might be roads only. Full UK map might be pretty sizeable though!

clubber
    Free Member

That’s what I use when off-road, and the detail is pretty poor, no contour lines and only a few rivers/streams.

There are contour lines on mine – you have to get the ‘map detail’ setting right to show them (either ‘normal’ or ‘more’ IIRC). The detail isn’t great though – streams, paths, etc are hit and miss though for road use it’s fine.

OSM would be fine for JOGLE.

stevede
    Free Member

The dakota 10 looks decent value if it does everything i need.

I’ll go over my requirements for confirmation:

1 – navigate other peoples routes by downloading them onto the unit and getting a follow the line style navigation for first rides off road in new areas.
    2 – navigate JOGLE by road either with a route made up by myself or a downloaded one.
    3 – don’t mind if maps are overly detailed as long as i can be guided by them without getting too lost!
    4 – preferably budget of no more than £200 including any maps,batteries etc that i’d need to buy
    5 – links to good deals,good maps,route sites etc would be brilliant.

I am able to nav with map and compass just about but for ease i’d rather use a gps for exploring new areas when restricted by time with the confidence of achieving the ride without getting lost.

Don’t want much do i? 😆

Cheers again,
    Steve

allmountainventure
    Free Member

TurnerGuy – Member
    touchscreen not such a good idea for mountain biking – muddy gloves plus trying to select controls whilst the bike is moving – hard enough with a touch screen gps in the car.

Dont get much mud here to be fair.

Dakota 20
    You can customize the display and pretty much eliminate the need to push buttons on the fly, you can also change the size of and have fewer larger buttons for the ones you use on trail. and it also uses that swipe screen that some of the apple devices use..

Quick tap on the screen and you’re there. Easier than my old GPS that had buttons.

Advantage of the touch screen is exactly that, you can change it around to how it suits your need.

Definitely check it out. I use mine all the time and its great…

Also well priced.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

stevede

Not sure about the 10 because I have the dakota 20.

What might be best is email Garmin with those same questions.

They are really good and will get back to you and suggest which models fit the bill.

http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/home/support/supportcontact

Check Europe consumer tab, UK is right down the bottom.

Also ask them if it works with garmin connect

stevede
    Free Member

Cheers allmountainventure, i’ve found this dakota 20 within budget – http://www.pentagongps.co.uk/garmin-dakota-20-i11852.html?gclid=COb53PGW56cCFcod4QodgSxjbg
    as a dakota 20 owner would this meet all my requirements?

stevede
    Free Member

Bump for the evening crowd,
    my head hurts on this subject and would love to make a final decision,
    Cheers for all the help so far.

uplink
    Free Member

The Dakota 20 is ideal IMO
    I use the 50k OS maps for touring and have never had any trouble using it on the go
    There’s loads of maps easily available either legit or otherwise

The Dakota 10 doesn’t have the capability of of a Micro SD card so you’d be stuck with the 850mb internal memory – I think the the UK OS map is 2gb

One tip: put a lanyard on the unit & tie it to the stem, so that if it gets knocked out of the bracket, it doesn’t hit the floor

Pentagon are good to deal with, I’ve had a couple of different things from them

stevede
    Free Member

Cheers for that uplink, i think i’m going to go for the Dakota 20 then from pentagon. I’ll see how the map on it is and get a micro sd card and load some free maps onto that for JOGLE if need be.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Which GPS?’ is closed to new replies.