Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • which GPS
  • 3bikeman
    Free Member

looking at a new GPS to replace my Garmin Legend [9 years old!]

Which one for MTB and some walking? SatMap 10, Memory Map or the new Garmin 800[not bothered with heart rate, cadence etc]

Trail mag etc say Satmap
    There are good reports on the new Garmin 800
    Memory map looks ok
    price is similar – garmin most expensive dependent on package
    Any comments helpful to help me spend my hard earned cash

OmarLittle
    Free Member

I’m considering getting a Garmin 800 but first of all waiting to hear how people get on with the OS mapping

foxyrider
    Free Member

I just got a new 800 and its fab – I do however have a garmin 705 with HRM to sell – in good condition going to a good home 😉 The Topo GB looks nice on it as well 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    grantway
    Free Member

The one on your Mobile?

easygirl

ive had the satmap and the memory map explorer
    i like the satmap much more than memory map
    the os is much smoother and has more functionality
    the screen cover on the satmap scratched easily, but is replaceable, and it gets water under it if very wet, but again is removable
    i did not like the memory map unit at all, very basic os, screen too small

imnotverygood

Just sold my Satmap & got an Edge 800. No contest as far as I am concerned although my Satmap was the earlier (not plus) version.

For me the Satmap is heavy, you can really feel it when it is mounted on the bars
    Lets water in between the screen protector & the main body of the unit,
    Not great battery life,
    The button menu access isn’t great,
    & most importantly is hard to use on the move: The lack of turn by turn directions is a serious difficulty for me. The line of route marker obscures the detail of the map so that when you get a difficult section you can’t see what is going on. I found it was great as a map – to show you where you are- but to tell you where you want to go? I find the Edge is far easier to use. Although the Satmap screen is bigger, it still isn’t big enough to be useful if you want to get an overall of what is around you. I think you realistically need a screen the size of an I-pad to get what you get with a paper map.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Those with the 800 .I read this on wiggle reviews

…there are currently some issues that make this a poor choice over the 705:
    The display is lower contrast and much harder to read than the 705. One partial solution is to use less data fields but that kind of defeats the object? Another would be to turn off the smooth font and perhaps that can be achieved in a firmware upgrade.

The alerts are SO quiet that they are easy to miss and the loud CHEEP alert has been replaced with a tiny beep. Navigation alerts are also too quiet. This makes the 800 quite difficult to use out on the bike when wind/road noise is rushing through your ears.
    Only two data fields are available on the navigation map. This isn’t enough – I use four on the 705…

Garmin needs to step in and address these issues before this device can be recommended… right now it’s a seriously flawed device in terms of it’s usefulness out on the bike…”

Do you agree?

CraigW
    Free Member

I’d go for a Garmin Dakota or Oregon if you’re going to be using it for walking as well.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Erm no trickydisco as I don’t use this unit for direct navigation – I usually upload a course and navigate it that way and I have the sound off so for me its not! I expect if this is a serious issue Firmware updates will cure it but the 705 WAS plagued with faults for at least 1.5 years!!

I expect a few glitches but so far is much smoother than the when the 705 came out!!!

singletracksurfer

got the sat map with full uk mapping and its great. agree that its not the greatest for showing you where to go but nice big clear screen, easy to use and battery lasts a very long day in the saddle but you need a charger or spare aa batteries. replaceable screen is very handy too 😆

£399 with full uk map here http://www.roughrideguide.co.uk/mtb-gadgets.html

foxyrider
    Free Member

The battery on the 705 lasted 16 hours – Edge 800 15 hours and you can get an external battery pack for it for longer periods (35 hours) 🙂

imnotverygood

Only two data fields are available on the navigation map. This isn’t enough – I use four on the 705…

This isn’t a problem for me. Any more data fields and the map would be obscured. If you want more info, it is very easy to change to a data page with a flick of a finger.

Contrast/brightness could be better, but I would still say the pages are pretty readable.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘which GPS’ is closed to new replies.