Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Which GPS?
  • richmog08

I really want something that i can download routes on to, and that points me in the right direction when i’m riding. I’ve been looking at the Garmin 800, but don’t know if it’s too over complicated. What do you guys suggest has the minimum that i need including maps, to give me what i want?

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Hi mate, try to download Viewranger App or Outdoor Navigation seems enough i think (still have to be tried and tested) ..then you dont need to shell out lots of cash … Im on the hunt for GPS/Map as well.. Something that i know that when i feel i am lost, i just need to click a button and points me where i park my car kinda stuff.

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

Wiggle have edge 500’s for £118.99, use code 20-EXTRA = £95.18

mangatank
    Free Member

800. Or better, 810 ( only available from Garmin). Extremely impressive. Anything else is something pretending to be one.

I upgraded from the brilliant 305, but I was sceptical about the touch screen. In fact it’s a breeze to operate with a pair of winter gloves on. You pay a hefty price, but it’ll see you through years and years.

yoshimi

I picked up a Bryton Rider 50 with full UK 1:50k OS mapping for about £165 a month ago from Bikechase – I really rate it so far

Conan257
    Free Member

20-extra not working for me when trying to get a Dakota 10…

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

It’s expired, sorry folks 🙁

Mintman
    Free Member

+1 Bryton

Good price, not as slick as Garmin units but does the job at a price I was willing to pay.

richmog08

Thanks guys, i’ve got a lot to think about. I’m not put off by the price of the 800/810, just not sure i’ll exploit it. I’ll have a look at the Garmin 500 and check the Bryton’s out.

richmog08

Just another thing, i can download the Outdoor Navigation app to my Windows phone. Does anyone know if it runs online or off?

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Can run offline, tried it in a car this morning

richmog08

Thanks.

kamenev
    Free Member

I use a Garmin Etrex 20 which cost around £130. I download maps from talktoaster which seem fit for purpose. I have planned a route using wheres the path which creates a GPX and then put it on the Etrex. The garmin etrex is bigger than a bike specific gps but has can also be used for other obvious purposes. You can purchase a handlebar mount to.

hilton83
    Free Member

Im currently looking at the edge 800/810 and the e-trex 30, can i get 1:25000 maps on garmin? Or can anyone recommend me a “bundle” there seem to be so many options

mangatank
    Free Member

Im currently looking at the edge 800/810 and the e-trex 30, can i get 1:25000 maps on garmin? Or can anyone recommend me a “bundle” there seem to be so many options

Garmin give access to 1:25000 maps that can be customised to specific areas. I think 600 km2 of 1:25000 is £20. Better though, the 800/810 allow you to upload any map so long as you have the correct coordinates and you downloaded the maps ‘legally’. You can also layer the maps and switch between OS maps and aerial images.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Which GPS?’ is closed to new replies.