Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Which Gorebikewear Jacket for Winter?
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

im after a jacket, not a thick super cold jacket like the endura stealth…

one of the gore ones that is thinnish material, either the active shell, or goretex active shell…it has to be mtb specific cut and has to be either of the above materials (i have a softshell stealth)

there are that many gore ones to choose from and id prefer to stick with gore as the quality is always brilliant, as is the customer service

unfortunately cannot afford the fusion goretex one, but anything 100-150 would be just about ok….

TheFlyingOx

I’ve got a Gore Cosmo+ and it’s magic. Proper warm with just a baselayer underneath, waterproof off the hanger but needs washing with the waterproofing stuff every now and again to maintain it.

Edit – just read the active shell requirement. I’ve also got the Fusion Cross AS one. That one is totally waterproof, but not particularly warm on its own.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Royals.? Some great deals on there at the moment. Just brought a Gorebikewear tool III for 67 english pounds and it’s spot on. Delivered next day and cheap as chips.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

The Flying Ox – Member

I’ve got a Gore Cosmo+ and it’s magic. Proper warm with just a baselayer underneath, waterproof off the hanger but needs washing with the waterproofing stuff every now and again to maintain it.

Edit – just read the active shell requirement. I’ve also got the Fusion Cross AS one. That one is totally waterproof, but not particularly warm on its own.

ahhhh the fusion cross AS one, thats the one ive been drawn towards to be honest, would wear it with a baselayer underneath then if needed when it hits 0degrees and beyond stick the stealth on….

what is the fit like of this fusion cross one? how thin is the material?

cheers for the link to royles ill check it out

shredder
    Free Member

Had the fusion as cross the one with the sleeve type armour. Fit wise quite slim but found it rode up at the b back. The material is thin kept the chill off and wore a base under but still not warm. Sold it and picked a Tool III up from Royales as above bit thicker n warmer and a better fit for me.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers shredder – hmmmmm were you wearing it in hardcore winter? i expect with it being mega light it wouldnt be amazingly warm in 0degrees etc, but for sort of now around 5-10 degrees it would be suitable with a baselayer? its more to keep the wind chill off me to be honest on descents as i get quite warm anyways and i like the idea of the lightweight to it easy to put away in the bag…

my stealth is just too hot even at the moment for long days out, tis great come the depths of winter though…

i think id be a medium, as ive tried the small stuff before and its always tiny and short at the front..

doof_doof
    Free Member

My Gore Contest is great, much prefer it over my Phantom.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

doof doof – is it the active shell one or the softshell contest??

ive looked at the contest 2.0 active shell but it seems very roady cut? do you use it for mtb?

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve got a Phantom and a Contest 2.0 AS.

They’re both medium sized, but not overtly roadie cut – I’m a medium in normal clothes too.

Cracking jackets, the Phantom is the most versatile with it’s removeable sleeves IMHO

anc
    Free Member

OW, if it helps I have the Cosmo(same material as tool) and a balance AS jacket for the mtb and Xenon AS for the road. AS is better for those wetter normal british winter type days as it has better shower resistance than the softshell material. Its also lighter and drys much quicker whilst riding and is easiler to pack away if it fairs up. The Cosmo is warmer so it is used more in the proper frozen winter stuff when you never take your jacket off. As I said in your previous thread on this, take into account the different fit types gore do there jackets in. My Cosmo and my Balance are ‘comfort’ fit and They fit best in the Small. I’m 5’11 with 38″ chest. Whereas in the Xenon I’m very definately a medium as it is their ‘slim’ fit. The Tool is a ‘straight’ fit. So if it were me i’d edge towards medium as best fit.

doof_doof
    Free Member

My Contest is a soft shell. It’s not a roadie cut, but it isn’t as baggy as the Phantom. I use mine on both mtb and road. I’ve commuted for a couple of winters with it (base layer underneath) and it’s been brilliant. It takes torrential rain to start getting wet though it, so it has made my eVent jacket almost redundant.

Paceman
    Free Member

Endura Stealth works for me all Winter, just opening the vents when it’s milder.

My mate’s got a Gore Phantom jacket, converts into a gilet which is a nice touch, that might be what you’re after.

shredder
    Free Member

No wore the fusion in the lower temps we have at the mo so not deepest darkest winter. Only had s thin merino base under but not warm could have gone for a thicker base but still don’t think it would have worked for me

alfabus
    Free Member

Phantom +1

converts into a short sleeve jersey (not a gilet). It is brilliant.

Dave

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers for the info anc…i ordered a small contest 2.0 and it didnt fit, it was tiny at the front half way up my chest 😆 im a 36 inch slim build so i cant really see other than small boys whom those jackets would fit in small….

i have reordered a contest 2.0 active shell in medium, but then read after it was a roadie jacket 😆

it seems to have what im after, exactly as stated above, good for those dampish, windy, wet wintery days….its more after a windstopper hence this and not something totally waterproof….and when mega cold the stealth will take over if needed…

if the contest 2.0 isnt to strange fit wise for mtb then hopefully that will suffice

kaiser
    Free Member

always found the stealth to be cold as soon as you stop ..don’t know why ..maybe it traps the sweat more .

matthewlhome
    Free Member

i use the phantom from about now through to march / april. In milder weather just next to skin and in real cold with a merino base. It is one of the best pieces of bike clothing i have owned.

I must add though that i do run quite warm when riding, and if i stop for too long it doesnt really offer much warmth.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Which Gorebikewear Jacket for Winter?’ is closed to new replies.