Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Which Genesis bike?
  • franksinatra

Waiting for Bike to Work voucher to come through but now having second thoughts about which bike to go for.

First choice was iO ID, looks ideal for quick and dirty blasts around local hills, love the alfine hub and just limited maintenance but slight concern about limited range of gears and more concerned about the 100mm fork.

Now thinking about the Altitude 10 instead. Better (travel) fork but standard gearing, I really facied the alfine.

They both look great bikes, now I'm really stuck in between them.

Now my head is hurting, can anybody help?!!!

Mister-P
    Free Member

The Altitude is within the £1k budget, the ID is not.

franksinatra

Shop are happy for me to top up

james-o
    Free Member

the 100mm fork on the iO ID is linked to the hub – it's not intended for big drop / harder hitting stuff that a 130mm fork may hint at, it's more of an XC bike where 100mm is fine. also the iO ID geometry is best at 100mm for general trail use, Altitude angles are adjusted to take 100-130mm.

franksinatra

Thanks James

Makes me think that the 10 can do everything that the iO ID can do, plux a bit extra, the iO Id may be a bit more limited to traditional xc. How do their weights compare?

I know that this has done the rounds a couple of times, but sizing..
    I'm 32 inch inside leg, 5'11", would that point towards the 19in frame.

franksinatra

excuse me for bumping!

james-o
    Free Member

well they're both XC bikes in my book, xc/trail etc. the frames are both the same DT / gusset design so will take the same impacts etc, it's just that the Alfine hub isn't expected to take the knocks like a std hub can. having said that though, we've had none back, even from the Hub and Bothy bikes who hire them out.

weights are very similar, within a few oz. at your height, 19" for xc or 17.5 if you wanted more of a chuckable fit.

franksinatra

still can't make my mind up….!

mboy
    Free Member

The Altitude is an excellent bike, that totally revamped my enthusiasm for hardtails. I've had mine about 18 months now, it handles so sweetly, and will really surprise you what it can do. And the 10 has a pretty decent fork and kit for the money when you take into account the frame is well worthy of future upgrades.

The io id, though I've only ridden one up and down the street, I have owned an Alfine hub for about 6 months and ridden it through all sorts. I can't recommend it highly enough! I'm not as keen on the io frame as I am the Altitude, but it certainly seems a quality bit of kit.

You won't go wrong with either at all, you just have to decide whether you want a bike with more modern geometry but conventional derailleur gears, or a more traditional geometry frame but with the bonus of the Shimano Alfine hub gear…

FWIW, the only time I've found myself lacking in gears on the Alfine was on a VERY steep welsh mountainside, when I could have done with one lower cog. I run 34/22 on my 29er (about the equivalent of 34/20, or possibly 32/18 on a 26" bike) and find the gearing spot on for just about everything. Yes, you will spin out on the road going downhill if you've got quick tyres on, but so what… I ride mountain bikes to take them offroad!

Oh, and at 5ft 11 (same height as me incidentally) you could go either 17.5 or 19 on the size happily I'd say. I'm slightly longer in the leg, and shorter in the body than average, and went for the 17.5 Altitude and don't regret it. There's only 15mm in the top tube between both though, so it's pretty close.

rossrobot
    Free Member

Two friends of mine have the Altitude 10 (2009) and both really rate it.

franksinatra

so they are both great bikes, one with a better fork and one with a better (hub) gear

I think I am leaning towards the Altitude now.

Decision might just come down to colour!

IdleJon

I love my Altitude 20.

That's all really..

franksinatra

I guess not being able to decide between two great bikes is a nice problem to have. 🙄

Prophet2
    Free Member

I'm getting the Altitude 10 via the cycle2work scheme. Took one out from The Hub last month for a spin and really loved it. Shifts pretty well on the way down and climbs nicely too. A welcome change from the full-susser that I've been riding over the past couple of years.

franksinatra

Took one out from The Hub last month

Did you try an iO ID as well?

AlasdairMc

I've got an Altitude 10 and love it. Pretty fast but comfy, my only issue has been the seat clamp being rubbish, but then that's probably the same on the io

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Which Genesis bike?’ is closed to new replies.