Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Which garmins do segments?
  • DT78
    Free Member

I’ve got a 1000 and really like the ability to create segments from strava on it and know when a segment starts and finishes real time. The 1000 is too nice a shiny to take off road and I still use my old 800 for mtb, but it doesn’t seem to have the segment folder the 1000 does. Do any of the other garmins have them? Like the 510?

CraigW
    Free Member

Yes, the Edge 510 and 810 now have segments. It was added with the latest firmware version.
    See this from DC Rainmaker: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/12/5108101000-dynamics-segments.html

riddoch

My 800 has stated popping up with segment markers if you enable them on the route you create.

Sandwich

My 500 gives segment notification when navigating a route on it.

njee20
    Free Member

Just use the 1000 off road. Get a silicone case if you’re worried about it. Spending £200 on an inferior device seems daft to me.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I’ve just bought an 810. Haven’t had chance to use the segment feature yet. Am I right in tbj ting that it’ll only work with Garmin Segments and not Strava ones? Unless strava ones are loaded as a course instead?

njee20
    Free Member

this lets you turn Strava segments into Garmin ones. Still a manual exercise, so a bit of a faff, but works very well.

DT78
    Free Member

I don’t really need a 1000 for riding local trails, I’d rather use a smaller cheaper unit if I can. It’s more the screen I’m worried about when it gets cakes in mud, my 800 touch screen with a screen saver didn’t work well in the wet with gloves.

I’ll check my 800 again, but sure it doesnt have a segments folder on there and I think the firmware is the latest.

And yep I use the tool njjee linked to get strava segments on there. It’s great for longer segments where you aren’t quite sure of the start and finish so you can pace your efforts properly. I’ve found a few times it takes a long time trying to get your own time and has either frozen or ive got impatient, seems to be fine for the kom time. Works quite well for ‘real world’ intervals as there is now segments everywhere….

What about the 200? Literally all I want is a couple of bits of info – HR, segment ability and virtual partner.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Garmin 200 doesn’t have Ant+ so can’t use HRM

njee20
    Free Member

I don’t really need a 1000 for riding local trails, I’d rather use a smaller cheaper unit if I can. It’s more the screen I’m worried about when it gets cakes in mud, my 800 touch screen with a screen saver didn’t work well in the wet with gloves.

My 1000 is absolutely fine thus far, from friends who have both they’ve said the touch screen is better than the 800. The buttons went quite gritty after Sherwood at the weekend, I washed it under the tap and it was perfect.

Just can’t quite get my head around spending £200 to save yourself money… I’d always be annoyed as well knowing that I had a better piece of kit back home that would have worked better.

DT78
    Free Member

IT wouldn’t cost me £200, I’d buy second hand and part the 800. Better depends on what you want to use it for. Loads of people have winter road bikes and summer nice one or a xc race hardtail and a hack bike for quick spins and stopping at the pub. Use the one that matches requirements for the ride rather than always ride the best one.

The 1000 is great I’m just worried about trashing it.

Sounds like unless I can get the 810s firmware on the 800 the best bet is the 510.

jkomo

How do you do it on the 1000?

njee20
    Free Member

How do you do it on the 1000?

Garmin segments can be automatically synced, or you can use the tool I linked to to turn Strava segments into Garmin segments and manually put them on the device. There’s no way (yet) to have Strava segments pushed to the Garmin, which would probably be the best.

That said it can’t handle overlapping segments – it only reports on the one you cross first, not entirely surprising I guess.

weatheredwannabe
    Free Member

I believe the 810 and 1000 can only hold a max of 30 segments anyway.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Which garmins do segments?’ is closed to new replies.