• This topic has 83 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by wors.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)
  • Which full suspension bike?
  • boltonjon

160mm is a lot of bike to lug around when your not in the Alps

I had a week in Morzzine in the summer on a 140mm bike and could keep up with pals on 160mm bikes 95% of the time

I’d thoroughly recommend testing both before stumping up your £2.5K

lancslad
    Free Member

If I’m getting a 140mm full sus is there any point me keeping the blue pig.

chakaping
    Free Member

A 140mm or 150mm bike that can take a beefy fork could be what you need.

Perhaps a Nerve AL+, with a spare Lyrik, Fox 36 or Marz 55.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I was thinking of a 160mm+ travel for the alps and antur stiniog and just using my blue pig at the trail centres.

That’s what I’d have thought too. 140mm FS won’t be that dissimilar in capability to what you’ve got. Try a few 160mm-180mm bikes and see what you think.
    Got any mates’ bikes that you can borrow for a day?

lancslad
    Free Member

I haven’t any mates with FS of 160mm+ anyone know anywhere in the nw you can hire or try out 160mm+ fs

wors

If I’m getting a 140mm full sus is there any point me keeping the blue pig.

I didn’t see any point, i now have the frame hung in my garage for sentimental reasons, sniff.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Check with all the major shops for any demo days.
    I did a demo with Blazing Saddles in Hebden Bridge last year.
    Bike Treks? Liesure Lakes?

eightyeight
    Free Member

A new low, quoting your own post….but looks like no one read it so here goes:

OP – if you’re NW based (which based on your riding areas it looks like you are), call up Leisure Lakes and get a couple of bike booked on their demo day this Sunday at Marple.

I’ve booekd a Yet sb-66c I can’t afford but they’ve got a lot of others (Santa Cruz, Scott, Specialized etc)

lancslad
    Free Member

Sorry eightyeight, where can I find out more info on the demo day

Furious

eightyeight – Member
    A new low, quoting your own post….but looks like no one read it so here goes:

OP – if you’re NW based (which based on your riding areas it looks like you are), call up Leisure Lakes and get a couple of bike booked on their demo day this Sunday at Marple.
    I’ve booekd a Yet sb-66c I can’t afford but they’ve got a lot of others (Santa Cruz, Scott, Specialized etc)

Although it’s the North West Mountain Bike Centre isn’t it? I’m booked on a Tallboy LTc on the same day at the same place.

lancslad – Member
    Sorry eightyeight, where can I find out more info on the demo day

Google North West Mountain Bike Centre and give them a call, they’re a really friendly bunch and their demo days are usually a good craic

lancslad
    Free Member

Can’t make it Sunday, I’ve had a look it would have been a good day

superfli
    Free Member

I would factor in how much maintenance and reliability of the frame as well as how it rides.
    I got feed up with all teh bearing changes on my old Stumpy (12-18mth bearing changes) and bought a single pivot SC Heckler. Keep it simples 🙂

eightyeight
    Free Member

Furious – quite right, apologies it is NWBC

I’ll be there on the aforementioned Yeti, along with the Mrs (she’ll be the one that looks like she’s been dragged there), and two other mates. Say hello if you spot us

dan45a
    Free Member

lancslad – sort of going back on my first post…If you can have the 2 bikes perhaps getting 160mm full sus (spicy/enduro type) will have you well covered for more techy UK trails plus easly handle bike holdiays and uplifts.

He’s my 2 which has me well covered…almost… always room for more 😉

For trail centre bashing and loner rides I use my asr5…
    Yeti ASR5 Carbon by dan45a, on Flickr

For the alps and uplift days I use this…rarely feels out of its depth, I used to use a full on DH bike but found I can do more with the alpine in more places.

IMG_0356 by dan45a, on Flickr

boltonjon

What happened to the Mojo dan45a ?

lancslad
    Free Member

Very nice bikes mate

lancslad
    Free Member

Been looking all day at bikes and really like the yeti sb66 jut don’t think I will be able to afford one

Bregante

I’d echo neninja’s comment and look at the Helius CC’s being sold on here at the minute. That red one that Steve b77 is selling is lovely. They’re such a versatile bike. I love mine and with the remainder of a 5 year transferrable warranty it’s a no brainer.

Untitled by redmancunian69, on Flickr

ianpv
    Free Member

If you’re looking second hand, consider a patriot 66. You can run it with a 190mm shock (with the long shock shuttle) for 140mm rear travel and it is like an orange 5, or anything up to a 215mm shock which will give 178mm rear travel. So you can have a 140mm trail bike, then bang a longer coil shock on for alpine or uplift stuff. I love mine. Only disadvantage is the 27.2mm post for dropper options.

They seem to go for buttons, too, for what you get. Probably pick one up for 350-400 quid.

ianpv
    Free Member

Here’s what I mean about versatility – a big (110km!), clipped in alpine xc day around verbier (with a mate on a trek fuel – not really fair) – patriot with short shock and 150mm Z1.

IMG_0660 by Soph and Ian, on Flickr
    But the next day was a lift day around champery, same bike but with flats, a 66 and DHX5 coil.

IMG_0703_crop by Soph and Ian, on Flickr

creedy
    Free Member

Phil I’m up end of April. I might have time for you to have a go on my stumpy(bike). But I’ve hit most things capably on the same fork you’ve got on your pig. Like someone said previous 160 is a lot to drag round. Have a look in leisure lakes in town as well they have a 650b cube in there that looks sweet! But def just keep trying them out. Took me six months to pick mine!

lancslad
    Free Member

Cheers creedy mate, just fancy a full sus but don’t really want to get rid of the pig it’s a lot of fun.

creedy
    Free Member

Yes and I still want a go on that pig down the hope line at gisburn 🙂 honestly though there are so many bikes out there. Even when you get one you’ll love it but at the back of your mind you’ll be thinking you should have got a more expensive one, one with a bigger fork, one with a different colour, one with different brakes etc etc. you’ll sit on one and know straight away. Then the question is where can I get it cheapest, second hand, finance warranty etc etc. it’s the joy of this sport we love. Don’t even get me started on tyres and rims!!

lancslad
    Free Member

I bet Laura loves you. Lol

creedy
    Free Member

Just keeps threatening to send all the little boxes that turn up back! I did say I’d give up rugby and just bike but well my team needs me 🙂

creedy
    Free Member

I blame Andy anyway!!

lancslad
    Free Member

Lol I don’t play as much golf and don’t go to football so I think I’ve given enough up. Plus I go with our John and Gareth sometimes and jo’s brother matt as well so it’s family time I say. Like you and andy. Plus Lois is obsessed with reading my magazines telling daddy to get a full sus either a lapierre or Santa Cruz she says

Holyzeus
    Free Member

I would seriously look at the Helius CC

A very versatile bike – adjustable rear travel – 88-129mm (this can vary according to which shock is fitted). It will happily take a 100-140mm fork.
    Mines a 2009 frame and the rear travel is 98-138mm

neninja
    Free Member

Mines a 2009 frame and the rear travel is 98-138mm

You’re right – mines the same. Just having a senior moment and getting all the numbers muddled up.

98-108-120-138mm on the 4 settings.

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Keep the hardtail if you’re going to get a 140-160mm bike, because (I hope, and I doubt I’m in the minority for saying this) a bike of that travel and nature is WELL over kill if you ride mainly trail centres. If I go to a trail centre, myself and anyone I am with are on 100mm hardtails, and it’s enough, having said that maybe a 120mm 29er full Sus would be quick.

I can’t help thinking that if you bought a 140-160 26er.. it would be great for the alps yes, but as your main and most costly bike, would you not rather have a bike that is fun and fast every weekend?

Get something like a 120 if you ride trail centres, even if you don’t like 29ers, get a 26er. Ride it all the time, have fun, be fast, then once a year a so if you go to the alps hire a big bike out there.

creedy
    Free Member

I think you’ll be riding gisburn,lee quarry and whinlatter most lancs. 140 ideal to get most out of them. I do think your riding style changes to suit the bike as well. But as an all rounder I’m happy with the 140 set up and as I’ve said to you before the only time I wanted more was the downhilling at cwmcarn. But it still managed and was still great fun. I have the brain on the back of mine so it locks the back up for climbing and a lot of others have similar rear designs to help the climb and stop bob at the back. What do you really want? I bet you’ve already decided but just want to make sure. :). Like I said took me 6 months and still went for the first one I wanted!!

lancslad
    Free Member

If money was not object it would be a Santa Cruz nomad or yeti sb66.

creedy
    Free Member

Yep yeti for me too.

creedy
    Free Member

Yep yeti for me too.

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

Cotic Rocket, just because I want one 🙁

lancslad
    Free Member

The other big question do I keep the pig? sell the pig? To finance the full sus

lancslad
    Free Member

Starting to get my list a bit shorter just need to demo some and like I said don’t know what to do about the pig

creedy
    Free Member

Do what I did say your selling the pig but not until your sure you won’t need it. Then somehow keep forgetting or the time isn’t right or you need it for commuting blah blah. But if you really need the money or space then the decision made 🙂

Candodavid
    Free Member

Rode a tallboy Ltc on my regular trails this morning, awesome bike, paying my deposit later for mine

wobbliscott
    Free Member

This is my new ride:

image by wobbliscott, on Flickr

Who said 140mm all mountain 29ers don’t look right?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Which full suspension bike?’ is closed to new replies.