Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Which front mech for a 456?
  • benz
    Free Member

Intend running a twin plus ti bash on a square taper m440 crankset I have lying around. 22/32 rings…

Always get confused about these – know I need top pull, but top or bottom swing…??

Shimano number appreciated. Anything from Deore level up….

Speaking of Deore, I’m actually going to run it 2 x 7 (found a new 7 speed XT in a dusty box in the garage) plus an A1 Deore DX 7 speed rear mech too – early 90’s vintage. Why not use them with spacer on rear hub…saves a bit of cash

I’m assuming the old Deore DX will shift perfectly well in comparison to the Acera which is the current rear mech on the doner bike?

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

The swing notation just determines how compact the shape is.
    I had a bottom swing to start with but swapped over to a top-swing as I preferred how it looked & worked.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I run an old 8speed LX ‘conventional’ front mech on my 456, the ones that mount further down dont last long IME and best avoided unless your frame forces you into them.

Nothing wrong with 7speed if you have compatible bits, but why bother? 9speed deore stuff will be cheep enough, and 8speed stuff can be found for peanuts.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

the SLX double mech works very well with a double and bash (as you’d expect)

A triple mech is also okay but doesn’t looks as good IMO.

If the frame is smallish (16″ or less) then a bottom swing (i.e. high band) mech puts the cable at a fair angle as it leaves the last frame boss, so shifting is ‘stickier’ than it should be. With bigger frames and/or a top swing (low band) mech this problem doesn’t occur.

benz
    Free Member

Reggie…so are we talking about one of these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=28028

If not, I’d appreciate a link 😉

reggiegasket
    Free Member

yep

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Which front mech for a 456?’ is closed to new replies.