Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Which frame is best to build on?
  • granadachica
    Free Member

Hi,

I don´t have the greatest of choices as am financially strapped right now. I have a Giant Yukon XC 2007 and a Claud Butler Stoneriver. Neither have excellent parts on and I want to invest slowly in upgrading them to make them more trail worthy. I do some quite technical trails and am confused about which cycle I should bring back to life.

Wozza
    Free Member

Based on nothing more than Googleing the two frames, i’d go with the Giant, it’s top tube looks like it slopes a little more.

There’s a Santa Cruz Chameleon next door in the classifieds for £110 if you can stretch to that?

speaker2animals

I would imagine the Giant tbh. But then again, what year is the Butler? Do both have disk brake tabs, if not maybe go for the one that does. Strip them down and check the weights, go for the lightest? Are both 1.125″ headset, if one is only a 1″ I wouldn’t bother cos of getting a decent fork on it. Odd size seat tube Internal diameter? Worth checking. I know in the past some cheaper bikes had sub 27.2mm ID set tubes. This can make getting a decent seat pin difficult (you can always shim up, you can’t shim down).

cynic-al
    Free Member

What s2a said – Giant definitely have a rep for good frames/bikes, CB for cheap frames with better bits on them.

granadachica
    Free Member

Thanks guys. The Claude must be at least nine years old. Here is one the same

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mens-Claud-butler-Stone-River-Mountain-Bike-bargain-/230607019380#ht_500wt_949

I actually checked day before yesterday and found that it does have disc brake tabs. Both have the same suntour fork on so expect they have the same headset size. Do you mean the seat post can be smaller on some or larger? Sorry have no clue

Here is the Giant

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66287751@N05/6035922014/

The Giant has disc brakes (hayes that are a useless and the gears seem to be a bit dodgy though it has 24 to the Clauds 21 speed)

flow
    Free Member
    granadachica
    Free Member

Flow, they look Goood.. what I could do is up the spec on the Giant whilst riding it.. then I will have the bits to put on a 456. Gives me more time to get the better fork etc for the cash. That was kind of the plan anyway but have never seen them before…. have bookmarked it..thanks

RustyMac

From your pictures i would definately keep the giant frame, it looks a much better frame than the CB.

I am suprised you don’t rate the disks on the giant. In general cable pull disks are better than V brakes. My girlfriend has Hayes Mx4 cable pull disks on her bike and they work pretty well.

Wheel wise i would keep the ones that are on the giant for 2 reasons they are disk equiped for upgrading later and with the 24 speed (8 speed rear) you would be able to upgrade to 9 speed at a later date.

Forks, yes both are made by SR Suntour but the ones on the Giant look more modern. They will probably have different internal, ride both bikes and see which feel better. A little chain oil on the stantions of the current giant forks should help them feel a little smoother.

Basically what i am suggesting is try to sell the CB and then spend what ever you have set aside and proceeds to primarilly get the giant up and running (some new or new to you shifters and mechs) then upgrade as and when you can.

granadachica
    Free Member

Thanks Rusty Mac. The only reason I don´t like the brakes is that they are constantly needing adjustment. If not they dont work too well. I was thinking about upgrading to avid bb7´s? Yes, in comparison to v brakes they are great! Yes the forks are a bit more modern and have lock out etc, but the bike is pretty heavy.. I have been trying to get her up the trail and am struggling! Thought that looking into replacing the wheels and fork would help with that and then I could put them on a better frame later. Am keeping the CB for my partner who is not into riding as much, but the CB is better than a carrefour special..I think. 😉

RustyMac

Main weight will be in the fork, try and look for an air sprung fork for an upgrade.

Do you have to remove the wheels often on the bike as that can throw the disk brakes off, otherwise when the ones on my girlfriends bike are set they are set. I you want any advise on how to get them set up drop me an email my address is on my profile. I am no expert but should be able to give you a few pointers to help make them easier to live with in the interim period.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Which frame is best to build on?’ is closed to new replies.