Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Which frame for a hardtail build ?
  • julzm
    Free Member

So I’ve been collecting parts for a hardtail build this winter. So far, I have:

Bars
    Stem
    Wheels (possibly, OH doesn’t like his hopetech enduros 650b so will be nicking them when he replaces them )
    Gear group set (xt)
    Brakes will be xt too, likely, but not purchased yet.
    I have saddles lying around and will source a seatpost when I have the frame.

Need to get a frame and forks. I was thinking something like RS revs.

However, I’m completely stumped on the frame. The bike will be used for winter hacking, some bike path riding, etc.

Being a female, I have long legs, short body syndrome (5’8″ with 33″ inside leg) so need something with a fairly short top tube so I’m not over stretching on the reach.

Any ideas?

Looking at alu rather than carbon.

deviant
    Free Member

OH doesn’t like his hopetech enduros 650b so will be nicking them when he replaces them )

Dartmoor Hornet takes 650b wheels and is Alu….so is the Santa Cruz Chameleon.

Hornet is £185 as opposed to Chameleon’s £599 if that influences your decision?

Being a female, I have long legs, short body syndrome (5’8″ with 33″ inside leg)

…tell us more about this though!

benpinnick

You might like a bird zero with a 35mm stem.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Ritchey P650. mmmmm

dunmail
    Free Member

Wheels (possibly,

I’d say that wheels are pretty essential – could be wrong on this. 😆

julzm
    Free Member

@deviant…… Chameleon is the one that I’m trying to talk myself into. Like it a lot.

Although….that bird zero is a bit different.

Any other suggestions??

julzm
    Free Member

@dunmail…., all it takes is some casting of doubts into his malleable mind and they’re all mine 😆

thegiantbiker
    Free Member

I can highly recommend the Hornet. Not sure what a Chameleon does that makes it worth so much more. Maybe it pedals for you or something?

Seriously though, frame quality on the Hornet seems very high so far and it rides really well too. Mine’s got a 150mm fork on it and it still handles climbs well but properly flies downhill.

Up to you, but basically buy the Hornet.

julzm
    Free Member

Hornet looks sweet…..how tough are they? I’ve a habit of doing stupid things to my bike. I dented the rear triangle of my first ever full susser on its first day out. Recently had to have my rear triangle replaced under warranty on my bronson c. First ride out, came off and scratched it to bits. You see the pattern?

darrenspink
    Free Member

Steel out of the question?

deviant
    Free Member

julzm – Member

@deviant
    …… Chameleon is the one that I’m trying to talk myself into. Like it a lot.

Probably best you dont watch this then:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tKv48-aeBU[/video]

thegiantbiker
    Free Member

The Hornet feels really strong to me when I’m riding it. Also, looking at the thing, the seatstays and chainstays are pretty huge. I’m not the lightest guy, and I was confident hitting drops and descending flat out after a few rides. I guess you only know how tough it really is when you manage to break it. But I don’t see it happening soon.

This assumes you’re not a super-rad huck god, riding off cliffs and stuff though, so no guarantees.

takisawa2

Soul 27.5.

matther01
    Free Member

Stanton were doing small 16″ slackline 631 in black for a reduced price. Great geo, granted a bit heavy…but really comfy.

I’m 5’7″-5’8″ and have a 16″ ti slackline and its spot on…albeit I have a 32″ leg!

chakaping
    Free Member

Worth a look at the Saracen Zen 650b if you can find one frame only, or complete bike secondhand?

I had the 26in version and it was a really high quality 6061 frame, with top tubes a whole size too short. So I had to ride a large rather than my normal medium.

Just a thought anyway. I’d also be tempted by the Soul 650b myself.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Which frame for a hardtail build ?’ is closed to new replies.