Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Which forks for a Maverick ML75 (sorry!)
  • chillidave
    Free Member

I'm very tempted to build up a ML75 given they seem quite a good deal these days. I've narrowed forks down to either a dt swiss exc at 130mm or a fox float rl at either the 120 or 140mm lengths. Is the 140 too long?

I know Maverick say 150mm is fine but that with their own forks which I think are short axle to crown.

Any experiences much appreciated.

vondally
    Free Member

I ran pikes at 140mm on mine followed by 150mm fighters, got Ducs on my ML8 and they are far better than the nay sayers give them crdit for. I liked adjustable forks for mixing and matching

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Isn't it sacrilige(sic?) to run one without maverick forks? Like a pace running anything other than pace forks (apart from less than 3 year old ones).

vondally
    Free Member

the ducs do match the rear suspension well but…………i think for me foxs/pike/pacess slighlty stiffer and more small bump sensitive
    In all honesty no compliants at all with any

Trailseeker
    Free Member

SC32's? I've just picked a brand new set from a guy with a few of them for sale for £200 & they are very plush & lighter than the DUC.

badlydrawnbiker
    Free Member

Duc32, as Swift sez – anything else probably contravenes some law or other!

vinnyeh

7/5 is designed for SC's, is'nt it? Float 140's on mine fwiw though.

chillidave
    Free Member

Cheers guys, I'm afraid I'm not tempted toward the Maverick forks, I owned a set of SC32, it's not that they were bad but I couldn't get on with the twisty nature of them. So it's more about if a fox 120 or 140 is more suitable.

Vinneyeh how does it handle going up with the 140s?

Swiftacular
    Free Member

All this really reminds me how much I want a maverick. Anyone got one, and what cool name do you have?

vondally
    Free Member

my frame is Bingo

xavier was the one before….now passed on

Jamesy
    Free Member

why the hell do u say sorry in your title ? ain't that what a mountain bike forums for asking questions about bikes ha ha

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Too right jamesy, but gven the attitude of some on here I can understand the apprehension.

chillidave
    Free Member

'sorry' guys 😉 I had a feeling 'what fork for' was just a level above 'what tyre for'. I appreciate the advice, I'm definitely edging closer to the Maverick.

barney
    Free Member

So far on my Maverick I've ridden DUCs (the steering was too floppy by half), SC32s (OK, but not all that on this frame), Rebas (fantastic but too little travel) and U-turn Revelations (just right).

Avoid the Mav forks on it, in my opinion. The DUCs never felt right at all – seriously avoid them. I'd go for something with 130mm ish of travel – any more than that and you'll have to ride off the front of it the whole time – which is fun, but not ideal for climbs.

mboy
    Free Member

On an ML7/5 I'd run a 120-130mm travel fork out of choice. Anything longer will make the front end feel quite slack unless you run a lot of sag. Besides, it was designed to be run with a fork of approximately 5" of travel anyway.

You could get away with a DUC32 by running it with quite a bit of extra oil in the air spring, so that the spring rate ramps up drastically, so that you would effectively be using as much as 50-55mm of travel as sag (so it would ride at the same height as most 130mm forks), whereas you would normally be running approx 35-40mm of sag. A 140mm Fox will have the same axle to crown height as the 150mm DUC32 though, so I'd steer clear of a 140mm fox personally, unless it could be spaced down to 125/130mm of travel internally like the Rockshox Revelations can.

Anyway, got a Durance myself… It's called "Medusa", and has a DUC32 fitted. The Durance was designed to be used with the DUC from the off, so the BB is slightly lower, and the head angle tweaked to make the bike feel more stable with the longer fork fitted. And it ROCKS! I had an ML7 before, and the Durance geometry is a good step in the right direction, as I felt a bit too much "on" the bike with the ML7, whereas with the Durance I feel much more "in" it, and it handles much better as a result.

walleater

Really ugly ones.

vinnyeh

mboy may well be (probably is) right. I dithered about forks, in the end stuck on the Floats in the knowledge they could be spaced down to 120.
    I've not had XXX for long (too embarrassed by the name- a welder that can't spell, d'oh!) and she's only had runs on the South Downs and bits of the North Downs, and none of the riding has been what I'd call technical so can't comment too much on the handling with the forks, although the bike does seem to find good traction on one particularly dry loose and gravelly climb where the hardtail (and I) really struggle.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Come on, how bad can it be? Name….

vondally
    Free Member

Intresting about the DUCs, they are odd there are times when i agree when the steering is floppy, e.g high speed left hand turns but other times when they are great trails with lots of roots and dips, they are almost untoiceable….maybe i am concentrating more but the forks feel good…………..agree with the 130mm mark it is better to climb with, saying that I was happy in glentress on the climbs with 140mm pikes

BUT

the ML8 is a better climber 😀

sofaking
    Free Member

my ML8 is called Wesley 😕

vinnyeh

I'm with Grezelda (sic) 😳

Sven

Trailseeker, would you mind sharing where you got SC32s from at that price? Thanks, Sven

Garry_Lager

I'd look at adapting a lefty if it was a durance. It might make your eyes water to look at it, but it could be a hell of a combination to ride.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

You can get lefty's for standard headtubes now. Still would be wrong on a mav though.

BadlyWiredDog

You could get away with a DUC32 by running it with quite a bit of extra oil in the air spring, so that the spring rate ramps up drastically, so that you would effectively be using as much as 50-55mm of travel as sag (so it would ride at the same height as most 130mm forks), whereas you would normally be running approx 35-40mm of sag. A 140mm Fox will have the same axle to crown height as the 150mm DUC32 though, so I'd steer clear of a 140mm fox personally, unless it could be spaced down to 125/130mm of travel internally like the Rockshox Revelations can.

You don't need to go through all that palaver with a DUC32 – you can simply use a spacer to reduce the travel and ride height. I run and ML7 as a race bike – 'Ego', he's called, amusingly – and run DUC32s spaced down to 135mm of travel. At 150mm they were too tall for the frame and screwed up the geometry, 15mm less and they're about right for me.

I also had issues with the medium ML7 trying to fit set of Revelations, the fork adjusters fouled the downtube on full lock. Don't know if that's the case with the 7.5, but it's worth being aware that it may be an issue. Tim at Sideways is ace for Maverick advice / parts etc btw.

mboy
    Free Member

What BadlyWiredDog says… V good idea actually!

Oh, and for some cool names, see the MTBR thread that I started a while back enticing owners to list their bikes names up there…

Feel free to post yours on there if you haven't already!

Trailseeker
    Free Member

Sven – give me your email address & I'll foward the details

Sven

That would be great, here is the address:
    svenDOTkoehlerATgmxDOTnet
    thanks

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I run DUC32s on my ML75 (Baldrick!!) and it is fine.

Am looking to change it for an ML8 if anyone is interested. Has done less than 500miles so is like new!

Woody
    Free Member

xavier was the one before….now passed on

Jeeeezus – I've got a bike called Xavier !!!! 😯 😆

martinxyz
    Free Member

Pike top caps catche the downtube.possibly only the u-turn side though.I fitted a spacer under the crown and seem to remember the bike feeling best at around 125-130mm.

a well centred ht2 alloy spacer can do the trick under the crown race if you cant get a hold of a +5mm race to fit your existing headset.theres more than enough of the correct diameter of steerer to hold the race even after fitting a 2.5mm spacer so dont worry about running out of the correct diameter for the race to bite on to.

vondally
    Free Member

Hey Woody how is xavier going on…………..???

Woody
    Free Member

All ready to go as soon as I get the DUC's. I thought about fitting a pair of Nixons but decided to wait and get the cabling spot-on, which is unusual for me as I tend to throw anything onto frames just to get a feel for how it rides.

Can't wait to get out on it. 😆

vondally
    Free Member

great….let me know how it all goes……..cheers

WoodyCannondale
    Free Member

Hey chillidave,

I myself ride a Maverick ML75 named "Gypsy" (though I call her "Pikey") with an SC32 Fork.

I can't recommend this frame and the overall design concept enough.

Having been fortunate enough to own a few Cannondales (such as a Gemini with a Manitou Sherman Fork & an F1000 with the Titanium Lefty) I too shared your concerns regarding the fork issues but can tell you that I have never ever felt any issues with them regards stiffness and tracking etc.

In fact I highly rate the SC32's for ease of tune-ability and maintenance – theyre an absolute breeze.

Check out some of the Q&A's on the maverick website as they make a highly valid point regards the flex issue which concerns you.

Hope this helps.

http://www.maverickbike.com/main/do/FAQs

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Which forks for a Maverick ML75 (sorry!)’ is closed to new replies.