Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • which fork for the blue pig?
  • trickydisco
    Free Member

After having a blast on a blue pig at the weekend (1st time on a steel and long travel hardtail) I’ve got the hankering for 1 and thinking of swapping over the parts from my 2009 enduro

after riding a few mates bikes with coil forks i think they are the way forward.

Do you think adjustable travel would be good for the blue pig? Also fox don’t make a adjustable coil fork do they?

any pics would be good too 🙂

RealMan
    Free Member

I really like my RS revelation. Its an air fork, 110-140mm travel.

Climbing at 110mm it feels so so planted. And descending at 140mm its just fantastic.

They’re on my chameleon at the moment.

mollski
    Free Member

got a brand new pair of pike comeing for sale friday

trickydisco
    Free Member

coil or air?

mollski
    Free Member

Pike 351 – Rockshox Pike 351, 140mm travel, Solo air, Motion Control damper, disc only, alloy steerer, rebound adj. £270 posted

tazzymtb

http://www.freeborn.co.uk/rockshox-2010-pike-454-coil-u-turn-95-140mm-1

have if you want coil and travel adjust I’d go for something like these MrDisco

firestarter
    Free Member

Had fox Talas on mine was ok but never altered the travel swapped them for a set of old 130mm coil bolt thru bombers much better 😉

Lar89
    Free Member

I run some fox talas 32s on my blue pig, not coil as you say you want, but i would give my vote for having adjustable forks – at 100mm it does a good impression of a fine xc steed, and at 140 it’s great fun on the descents.

ahwiles
    Free Member

you don’t really need adjustable forks – the steep seat angle does a good job of keeping your weight forward when climbing.

i’d get some Rockshox sektors.

trickydisco
    Free Member

you don’t need adjustable forks.

Surely with something like the blue pig it’s nice to try set at different travel lengths.. 150 for nice slack downhill and say 120-130 for climbing and anything else

BadlyWiredDog

Run a Pike on mine, Air U-Turn, but I just leave them sat out at 140mm the whole time. The front end’s low anyway, the seatpost angle keeps your weight forward and I’ve really not felt the need. The day a Blue Pig ‘does a good impression of a fine XC steed’ I’ll eat my Pikes… 😉

ahwiles
    Free Member

adjustable forks are good for shifting your weight forward; keeping the front end under control on steep climbs.

the steep seat tube on Ragleys already does a good job of this, adjustable forks might help, but Pigs are good climbers without it.

(yes i’ve got one – 140mm solo air pikes – no adjustment – it climbs very well)

BadlyWiredDog

Surely with something like the blue pig it’s nice to try set at different travel lengths.. 150 for nice slack downhill and say 120-130 for climbing and anything else

It doesn’t need reduced travel for climbing, it works great at 140mm, that’s kind of the point of it. But if you want to blow cash on unnecessary travel adjust, don’t let that stop you. Seriously, it climbs well enough with 140mm that it’s never occurred to me to drop the travel. In the Peak. Where there’s a fair bit of steep climbing.

firestarter
    Free Member

Pigs climb great at 140 no need for travel adjust

Trekster

got a cheap set of Marz 600s on mine, 130 fixed and fine for me

Northwind

I drop the travel on my Mmmbop for steep climbing… But then the stem and bar setup is built for descending, if I stuck a longer stem on it I guess I wouldn’t find myself dropping the fork. Usually it’s fine, it’s only those rare, really steep pitches.

But, having “long” and “very long” would be good. Can’t afford another set of u-turn Rev Teams but if I could, I would. Perfect match for the bike IMO. Fire in a Hope +10mm reducer headset for effectively 130-160mm of travel, and more importantly works perfectly at all heights without impeding performance at all, unlike TALAS. Stunningly good forks… But it’ll have to live with its old 130mm revs for now.

Northwind

Oh hang on, spot of crap advice there from me, Pigs don’t have a 1.5 headtube do they so you can’t use a tall Hope. Ah well. Still the best fork out there for this sort of thing.

trickydisco
    Free Member

, Pigs don’t have a 1.5 headtube

The 2011 one’s will be able to take 1.5 fork.. Although i prefer the look of the current one.

firestarter
    Free Member

The 2011 one’s will be able to take 1.5 fork.. Although i prefer the look of the current one.

i love the look of the new one just cant justify it to myself to buy one to swap for my current one

trickydisco
    Free Member

What you prefer that gopping back end? 😯

firestarter
    Free Member

yup buy a new one and i’ll swap you 😉

Northwind

Ah, right you are. So it wasn’t crap advice at all, it was supernatural prescience :mrgreen:

DeMoose
    Free Member

Magura Thors on my Blue Pig. 140mm but with an easy to use 100mm travel lockdown for climbs. Really stiff & plush. Get the 2010 ones which have better progressive damping than previous versions.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘which fork for the blue pig?’ is closed to new replies.