Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Which Foreign Language?
  • geologist
    Free Member

I fancy learning a language. Which foreign language would you like to be able to speak?

Oh – dont say I need to learn English 😉

Mackem

Spanish.

headfirst
    Free Member

Italian, bellisimo!

leffeboy

chinese

globalti
    Free Member

No. Portuguese. Brazil is a **** amazing coutry and one which is about to come onto the world’s radar, big time. Read up on it, you’ll be gobsmacked. Half of the youth of Portugal has already gone there to find work and that massive country full of clever people is just waiting for you.

mrmo
    Free Member

Portuguese. Brazil

from a friend who is Brazilian, be aware put basically Portuguese is to Brazilian as UK English is to American English….

Almost the same, but not quite…

But yes it would be a good choice.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Portuguese. Brazil

Or P?t?nghuà (Mandarin).

sweaman2
    Free Member

Russian, Chinese (so probably mandarin) or Spanish are the most useful from a business / growth perspective.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Wherever you go on holidays or want to retire to the most is the one.

Or failing that….. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Larn-Yersel-Geordie-Scott-Dobson/dp/0946928010

trail_rat
    Free Member

Russian

I seem to work exclusively in fsu countries these days and russian may be a second language to most but it comes much further p the pecking order than english.

Spanish and french, i can read enough to get by and have basic conversations / get food and hotel rooms.

geologist
    Free Member

Cheers for the input.

I was thinking Mandarin, or Arabic. Russian is not a language I thought of, I think mainly due to the fact that Russia or the FSU, does not really captivate me.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Yeah it wouldnt all the places ive been are holes ….. People are nice though. Makes me want to speak their language as im the incomer not them.

tails
    Free Member

Spanish is the most useful, Mandarin the most spoken in one place.

As above Brazil looks cool so Portugese.

Arabic is useful in any Islamic country.

I know some Korean (Hangul) not very useful, but easy for a language that does not use a latin alphabet.

Northwind

Mandarin or Arabic for personal usefulness (tbh I’d love to be able to speak arabic if only to put the wind up all the students that use it to talk about us behind out backs). French for personal use as I always feel a right knob over there.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

You need to pick a language where you will visit the country and practice iy otherwise you will do classes but never pregress for me it would be spanish

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

American ;o) then I could tell them just how dumb public gun ownership is. ;o)

eugeo81
    Free Member

Ive just started learning Estonian (and by christ its confusing!)

I would recommend Spanish or Russian.

Ive learned a few languages, mainly when chasing skirt abroad.

ianv
    Free Member

Spanish or Catalan for personal use, some sort of chinese if it was career related .

doug_basqueMTB.com

Spanish, it covers lots of countries. Then for Italian you can just speak Spanish in an Italian accent and wave your hands more.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Spanish, it covers lots of countries. Then for Italian you can just speak Spanish in an Italian accent and wave your hands more.

To me portuguese sounds like spanish with a dutch accent, but it doesn’t really work all that well in practice! :mrgreen:

swiss01
    Free Member

respect to euge for the estonian. those finno-ugrics are beyond me!

i think spanish is a good choice. if learnt well it makes it a whole lot easier to learn the other romance languages and, if you’re lucky. will elad you eventually to romanian which altho a bit niche, is rather lovely.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Which Foreign Language?’ is closed to new replies.