Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Which flat screen?
  • JCornford

Now that I know it will be frowned upon if I hang a flat screen above my fire place, I was wondering which flat screen I should get (to hang somewhere else obviously :wink:) I'm looking at a 40" and have about £700, give or take a bit, correct me if I am wrong, but I had ruled out plasmas and was looking at LCD's, but have also seen there are LED flat screens to, what would you recommend?

GTDave
    Free Member

Done lots of research into this myself, online & viewing in person.
    Same size & similar budget. Have narrowed it down to:

SONY BRAVIA KDL40W5500

SAMSUNG LE40B650

Both get very good reviews.

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member
    FG
    Free Member

LED = LCD.

kimbers

led is just an lcd with led backlighting if im correct??

organic leds are the future but tiny screens at the mo and very very expensive

FG
    Free Member

Yeah that's right, though for some reason they're marketed as something different.

fwb2006
    Free Member

SAMSUNG LE40B650 or whatever name depending on the retailer.

I bought one of these a few weeks ago for £700, excellent TV and picture with the added option on DLNA (steaming off your PC).

JCornford

Thanks for the suggestions, I've not started doing much research yet, just starting.

flamejob
    Free Member

GTDave – Member
    Done lots of research into this myself, online & viewing in person.
    Same size & similar budget. Have narrowed it down to:

SONY BRAVIA KDL40W5500

SAMSUNG LE40B650

Both get very good reviews.

I have that Sony and it is great. The VW Golf GTi of tellys. Solid, not bad looking and will last ages.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Hey Flamejob, how does it handle streaming movies and do you know if you can upgrade the firmware?

kimbers

fwiw i though the new bravia 3 powered sonys looked much nicer picture wise than the bravia 2s just by looking at side by side tellys in john lewis

and the SONY BRAVIA KDL40W5500 is bravia 3

also has anyone else seen this advert on the tube, made me chuckle

toby1

Is that add actually for dixons? because their dirty, out-dated, poorly staffed shops really are the last place I'd go to buy a TV.

GTDave
    Free Member

😆 very good!

kimbers

i think the point is you buy it online at dixons website

rather than bother with their muppet staffed shops

after getting john lewis well trained and informed staff to do their hard work

uplink
    Free Member

FWIW – I sit in fromt of loads of TVs & monitors most days
    For me, the Panasonic panels have been the pick of the bunch

John Lewis online will give you a free 5 year warranty too

uplink
    Free Member

Is that add actually for dixons? because their dirty, out-dated, poorly staffed shops really are the last place I'd go to buy a TV.

They don't have any shops

nonk
    Free Member

if its going to be that big for gawds sake secure it well. a wee lass of about 5 was killed by one round our way.
    honestly.

Nonsense
    Free Member

Panasonic often come up top of the pile in reviews. Especially at the cheaper end of the market (i.e £700 for a 40 inch LCD). Sony are usually good too, but can be a bit more expensive.

I recently got a Panasonic TX-L37S10B but I'm not sure if they do a 40 inch variant. It's been great so far and was a Which magazine best buy.

docrobster
    Free Member

panasonics tend to be 37 or 42 I think.
    You have the choice of LCD or plasma in that size with a panasonic. I would go for a plasma personally but it's splitting hairs tbh

goog
    Free Member

sony

fwb2006
    Free Member
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Which flat screen?’ is closed to new replies.