Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • which five 10's?
  • al1982
    Free Member

looking at some 5.10’s
    currently CRC have the new freerider VXi for £51.99 seems a bargain but the soles have a flat section which will be crap for tranction when pushing the bike? has anyone got any real world experience of these??

or do i get the impact 2? or the old freerides

link to all 5.10 shoes on CRC

twang
    Free Member
    mikey74
    Free Member

I’d go for the Karvers over the Impacts: The laces cover really helps keep the mud and water out. What amazes me is why they haven’t added a laces cover to the Freerider Elements, or the standard Freeriders.

My last two pairs have been Karvers and I’m considering getting another as the current ones have nearly seen their day.

The stiffness of the Karvers sole is better for pedaling as well, compared to the Freeriders, so I’ve heard.

twang
    Free Member

I much prefer the soles on the impacts compared to the old freeriders, the freeriders don’t seem to absorb trail buzz like the impacts do. Hard to live with their sponge like qualities though…

chvck
    Free Member

but the soles have a flat section which will be crap for tranction when pushing the bike? has anyone got any real world experience of these??

They’re ridiculously grippy on pedals. Traction when pushing the bike, yeah there’s none of that. They’re pretty hard work for pushing up anything steep or slippery, however the toes do have a bit more grip (not a lot).

Northwind

I like the standard freerider but the toe protection is a wee bit lacking, should you decide to stop yourself with a big french rock. Ow.

waldo1
    Free Member

Recently bought some flat soled vxi and they’re really hard and not particularly grippy. What I can gather is that they’re the earlier version and the newer vxi has a much softer, grippier sole.
    Earlier ones have meshing the toe, where as the latest version has a less permeable covering.

bobmac892

+1 for the Karvers.

jaylaz73

Ive got some free rider elements, the winterised ones with the flat sole, they are superb when combined with a thin pair of goretex ankle gaiters by Trekmates which I bought from Go Outdoors. Had a full day out with this combination in the lakes week before last, with snow and lots of bike carrying up high over a number of passes. The sole was plenty grip on and off the bike and never once slipped on wet or icy rocks. Also my feet and socks were dry at the end of the ride! Tested again at Newcastleton at night which was very wet, again dry feet and socks. I wear waterproof Endura Stealth tights over the top of the ankle gaiters, keeps the wet out.

smatkins1
    Free Member

I was worried about the flat bit on the sole. Then I remembered, I don’t push my bike.

For what they lack in bike pushing grip, they more than make up for it in bike pedalling grip.

mikey74
    Free Member

But they are supposed to be less grippy than then standard, dimpled ones. They brought out the vxi version in response to complaints from riders that they can’t adjust their footing once the shoe is on the pedal, without lifting the foot off.

Therefore, if you want grip, go for the standard ones, rather than the vxi ones, and you then have the push-up grip for when you need it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘which five 10's?’ is closed to new replies.