Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Which First Aid course?
  • stick_man

After reading the Man Down thread I had a look at First Aid courses and there’s rather a lot of options. Any recommendations for a one day course for mountain biking, possibly from this list….?

St John Ambulance:
    Basic First Aid
    Essential First Aid
    Sports First Aid
    Activity First Aid

Resusitation council:
    Immediate Life Support
    Advanced Life Support

Red Cross:
    First Aid for Adult
    Emergency Life Support
    General First Aid
    Pratical First Aid
    Save a Life

CTC:
    Outdoor First Aid
    Expedition first Aid

messiah
    Free Member

B.A.S.P

A proper outdoor course.

julesf7
    Free Member

I’ll second the advice on the BASP course. I did one in June, having been pointed in that direction by members of the forum. Absolutely excellent, and I feel much more confident that I could make better decisions as a result.

meehaja
    Free Member

probably wouldn’t bother with ALS unless you are turning pro. A lot of first aid courses seem to be info over load and lots of advice of limited value. Redcross do fairly simple, sensible courses geared towards the needs of a group, but if I were paying and was interested in the subject then an outdoors specific one would be more fun thatn sitting in a church hall learning to do neat bandaging.

Ultimately knowledge is useless without confidence to use it. A course that is fun and relevent will benefit you, and others more than a stuffy course with a generic qualification.

johni
    Free Member

Another vote for the BASP course (British Association of Ski Patrollers)

Pyro

BASP or REC (Rescue & Emergency Care).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Which First Aid course?’ is closed to new replies.