Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • which Fatbike Frame ?
  • higgi
    Free Member

got the Fatbike itch . Which is best frame in the STW opinion ?
    was thinking aluminium . I want to use it for general trail use as well , so reasonable mud clearance would be good too . it won`t be my only bike .

thanks

chainslapp
    Free Member

Im loving my Salsa Mukluk at the moment. Very trail orientated and the Nates grip really well. Plenty of stand over with a very sloping top tube.

scotroutes

Best? They’re all a bit different. I’d probably be starting with a Mukluk unless I wanted a 135mm rear end. Bit then the 9:zero:7 is lovely too.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Love my 9:zero:7..

But, as Colin said, thery’re all different..

higgi
    Free Member

thanks guys
    was thinking Mukluk or 9zero7 . any pros and cons for 170 or 135 drop outs ?

^ that’s my ideal bike … nice

T1000
    Free Member

Hub costs and availability is lower for 135

Dishing and alignment of the rear wheel is more challenging…..

But the folks at Surly have thought through all the issues

Have a look at the build kit on the Pugsley….

How fat do you want to go? Will 4.0 be enough or will you feel the need for bfl’s or bud and Lou …..

I’d recommend getting a demo 1st from folks like CBM or Tim @ sideways are worth a visit and thoroughly nice chaps….

epicyclo

There’s no bad ones – yet.

If you are likely to want to use a hubgear, then you’ll need a 135mm offset rear frame which is Pugsley or 907.

If you’re going to use a derailleur then they all qualify.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Where abouts are you based?
    I’d go see Tim @sideways in Alsager, he has Surlys & 9:zero7 in stock..

If you’re near Tim, you’re near me, and your more than welcome to take mine out for a spin.

batman11
    Free Member

If its just an itch why not the on one fatty?? At that price for a complete what’s not to like.
    I’m enjoying mine anyway 😀

JoeG
    Free Member

All of the various fatbikes seem to have their strong points, so it depends on what your priorities are.

On-One Fatty +1 if you’re looking for a “trail bike.” Higher BB, stacker HT with more rake than the Surly/Salsa ones, and the Fatty has a 31.6 seat tube that takes a dropper! But its not set up for racks like the Surlys/Salsas.

The 135 rear on the Pug or others is the ticket for hub gears, as said above.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I still want a 907 slidy

Might strip the sand man and actually sell it this time to raise funds for the frame… Have mav 32s rohloff , nates , bb7s and raceface atlas 100mm chainset all sitting waiting. No one ( except epicyclo) needs 2 fattys…..

flashes
    Free Member

I rate my Pug, I don’t have sand or snow so use it on trails a lot but the On One’s good value..I too may have 2 fatties soon……..

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘which Fatbike Frame ?’ is closed to new replies.