Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Which engine?
  • itsmygame
    Free Member

Looking at getting a new car but not sure what engine is best to get ( petrol or diesel )

Most of the journeys are short trips 3 -5 mile. And quite frequent. Will do the odd 30-40 miler and an even rarer 100 miler. No more than 10,000 miles a year.

So what do you guys think.

It’s got to be 7 seater and the front runner is the kia carens 1.7 crdi 134 bhp

Thanks in advance

stumpy01

Based purely on journies – petrol.

But, the Carens is quite a lump of a car and it could be that the diesel will be nicer to drive due to the torque characteristics. Depends on what petrol engines are available for it.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

A diesel will get clogged up if you only do frequent short trips.

itsmygame
    Free Member

Yeah that’s what I was thinking. They don’t do the trim pack that I want in the petrol versions so May its time to choose a different make

banks
    Free Member

Fiat multiple froggy thingy?

scuttler

Petrol.

Modern diesels with DPFs hate short journeys but the car salesmen won’t tell you that.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/car-buyers-guide/cbg_fuel.html

jon1973
    Free Member

A diesel will get clogged up if you only do frequent short trips.

OT, but what constitutes a short journey, out of interest? If we’re talking around 10 mile trips during the week, and longer journeys at the weekend is that enough for it to stay unclogged ?

Rockhopper
    Free Member

10 miles of fast motorway perhaps but around town – no.

Milkie
    Free Member

This..

Or..

theotherjonv

depends also what the longer journey is. If a motorway run, so you can open it up and blow the crap out of the filter, that’s better than another hour at the same sort of low engine speeds as you’ve been doing all week.

This is my excuse for thrashing my diesel whenever possible. Better for it.

daveh
    Free Member

I’m coming to the conclusion that a long motorway run at <2k revs is actually filling the filter more than my standard 15 mile mixed journey into/from work.

Turbo petrol is what you need.

itsmygame
    Free Member

HHHHMMM love the bikes lol but this isn’t looking promising. The fiat isn’t that a monstrosity lol? Back to the a max maybe?

daveh
    Free Member

2.5T SMax, perfect!

benji
    Free Member

Based on your usage, petrol, you can buy a lot of petrol compared to the cost of replacing dpf’s and the initial cost of outlay on said vehicle.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Ford B-Max or C-Max with ecoboost petrol engine?

orangeboy
    Free Member

I’m just saving to replace my golf tdi with a petrol
    Golf only gets 40 mpg so not that cheap and a pain to look after
    Only does about 6-7 k a year
    And with the price differnace in fuel I’m
    Thinking a nice a6 2.0t or golf gti

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Sorry disagree with the diesel only good if you do motorway journeys. On the Motorway you sit there at low revs for hours at a time which is not good. The trick is whatever driving you do is just to rev it every so often.

speed12
    Free Member

You don’t need to thrash a diesel to keep the DPF clean, and cruising along at relatively low revs (I.e. 70 in 6th) won’t be a problem. The ECU just needs steady driving at a reasonable load so it can manage the regeneration temperature. If the temp starts spiking due to big accels/decels then it will cancel the Regen (which is why town driving only will generally clog up a DPF). Running at higher engine speeds/loads (thrashing it…) will just give slightly more passive Regen – it will still need a steady period at low to medium load in order to do a full Regen.

takisawa2

Diesel Galaxy here, that gets the same sort of use.
    No DPF though, but even so next one will probably be petrol.
    Warms up quicker, less to (potentially) go wrong etc.

molgrips
    Free Member

On the Motorway you sit there at low revs for hours at a time which is not good.

You don’t need revs, you neex higher exhaust gas temperatures, which is dependent on engine load as well as revs. As speed12 says, if your engine is hot enough then the ECU will sort itself out – it needs some time to do a regen cycle – 20-30 mins maybe.

Plus booting it around probably causes more smoke to begin with. Sitting at 100mph for a while is probably good for it, but a bad idea for other reasons 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Which engine?’ is closed to new replies.