Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Which Ebook reader?
  • cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Not sure whether to go for a Kindle Paperwhite or a Nook Simpletouch with glowlight?

Much of a muchness? Any thoughts?

AdamW
    Free Member

Nook won’t be around for very long by the looks of things, so you may get a bargain but on the other hand Kindle will have longer support.

I have a kindle 3 which is pretty good. The paperwhite is supposed to be brilliant. I have other gadgets (nexus 7/iPad) which are good for indoor reading but they are heavier and the battery life on the Kindle is superb.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Nook won’t be around??

thetallpaul
    Free Member

At least you can root the Nook and add android apps (like the Kindle app 😯 ). Cheaper than a kindle too.

dannybgoode

For ease of use I’d take the Kindle every day. Massive range of books and just some simple to click buy on Amazon and when you next turn on your Kindle up it pops.

Loads of good stuff has come up on the Kindle Daily Deal recently (so good books for 99p) and Amazon have a surprising amount of the classics for free also.

Much as I hate being tied in to Amazon’s ecosystem (and Calibre can help you back up your investment in books) its hard to look past the Kindle.

Cheers

Danny B

bentandbroken

For ease of use I’d take the Nook every day. Massive range of books and just some simple to click buy on the device or website and when you next turn on your Nook up it pops.

Loads of good stuff has come up on the website recently (so good books for 99p) and they have a surprising amount of the classics for free also.

So I don’t need to be tied in to Amazon’s ecosystem (and Calibre can help you back up your investment in books) its hard to look past the Nook.

Cheers

Danny B

Made a few changes to that 😉

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Got a kobo – no backlight but like it a lot. Easy to use, downloading books is a doddle and not tied to Amazon. Also, apparently you can take books out of the lending library – you check it out and it deletes after a couple of weeks. Don’t know much about it, i got the reader from someone else who used the library but might be worth looking into if you’re a heavy reader.
    EDIT – library use not limited to kobo but limited to .epub

andytherocketeer

Theres a “Glo” version of the Kobo now too, with backlight.

Price is same as Kindle Paperwhite glowy reader, iirc, but handles more of the free/open formats (as well as the standard DRM formats).

Might get one – I don’t need to buy from Amazon store anyway, but just fancy the portability.

Ewan
    Free Member

Get a Nook and root it. Bargain. I’m very pleased with mine.

AdamW
    Free Member

Sorry been working. Barnes & Noble are bailing on the Nook. Microsoft owns a chunk of the shares but they aren’t known for their success at tablets.

dropping nook

finbar
    Free Member

Love my Nook without backlight.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

AdamW – Member

Sorry been working. Barnes & Noble are bailing on the Nook. Microsoft owns a chunk of the shares but they aren’t known for their success at tablets.

dropping nook

Got the impression that was their tablets they’re talking about???

DaveRambo

I can’t offer a comparison but I have a Kindle paperwhite and it’s brilliant.

It’s designed for just reading on and it’s rather good at it.

I buy books on Amazon
    They appear on it.
    I read them.

It works.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Which Ebook reader?’ is closed to new replies.