Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Which Ebay (China/Far east) seller who can make a ti frame to your measurements?
  • hora
    Free Member

Basically they have a stock long travel sort of frame but you can specify head angle/chainstay length to tailor to your tastes?

geoffj

*tick

Junkyard
    Free Member

He keeps it less than 3 months after a huge post about how it is the bestest thing ever

Any other bets?

hora
    Free Member

Another example of negative forum use, leave it out and don’t spoil the thread ta.

There was a STWer selling a custom/ebay ti mtb frame a while back but I can’t remember his name/details to find out where he sourced it from.

damitamit
    Free Member

xacd?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Negative use 😯
    What are you claiming now you dont serially swap bikes or you cannot laugh at yourself? 🙄

Dont worry I am going enjoy the bike

hora
    Free Member

XACD? I’ve heard the name mentioned before- will google/ebay etc.

Found the STW’er: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/custom-titanium-mtb-frame

Massmoor PA for massmoor!

binners

Brilliant! You’ve about to take pointless money-spanking to dizzying new heights

You’re going to get a titanium frame custom made, wait months for delivery, then by the time it arrives you’re goldfish-like attention span will have wandered onto ….well…. its anyone’s guess… carbon unicycles? Then you’ll be looking for someone of your freakish baboon-esque bodily proportions to buy your handmade titanium folly. One who’s angles have been specced to your legendary bike-design skills?

You really couldn’t make it up. 😆

scholarsgate
    Free Member

There are lots.

Have a look at http://www.spanner.org.uk/ for ideas.

For the record I had a frame from XACD and I love it. Started off with a stock 29er frame and tweaked the angles/sizes based on a frame I already had experience of.

Gotama
    Free Member

Have a look at Triton. There’s a big thread on mtbr about them. Russian firm but seem to be decent quality from what i’ve read.

messiah
    Free Member

From my understanding all of the Kingdom Bike Project options are pretty much custom so anything they do can be tweaked.

Very tempted after the untimely demise of my Ragley Troof.

thepodge
    Free Member

I know a guy with a triton & he has nothing but praise for them

See if ade at award bikes can suggest anyone, he’s had a few done

soobalias
    Free Member

wha’appen to the troof?
    werent they supposed to be super-hardcore?

messiah
    Free Member

wha’appen to the troof?

The sorry Troof

d45yth
    Free Member

If you fancy a Triton and you’re wanting something out of the ordinary or complicated. Get in quick…his prices don’t change much between the options and I think he’s only going to start doing basic frames due to time/money ratio.

hora
    Free Member

XACD seems to be the way to go. There looks like a 4-5month wait from start to finish on Tritons (3month then shipping of 12 weeks ontop due to popularity!).

binners

Get it ordered! It’ll be a nice surprise when it arrives as you’ll have completely forgotten about it by then, and bought another Blur 4X 😆

bonesetter
    Free Member

XACD are super fast and super cheap (I mean super – sub $1K)

Thing is you need to be sure on EXACTLY what you want, down to every angle and every placing of every cable tie

The Ti they source wont be the best, tolerance and wall thickness consistency wise, but should be OK

Coyote
    Free Member

You’re going to get a titanium frame custom made, wait months for delivery, then by the time it arrives you’re goldfish-like attention span will have wandered onto ….well…. its anyone’s guess… carbon unicycles? Then you’ll be looking for someone of your freakish baboon-esque bodily proportions to buy your handmade titanium folly. One who’s angles have been specced to your legendary bike-design skills?

Binners you ****, you owe me a new keyboard!

Aidy
    Free Member

Bah, I looked before, but hadn’t pegged that those xacd frames worked out so cheaply.

Too tempting.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I looked at getting something similar about a year ago

XACD get back to you overnight no matter bollocks questions you ask or weird requests you make – I’ve never dealt with a company so responsive. I specced an AM hardtail with tapered head tube etc and including shipping and sandblasted finish with polished logos and engraved headtube badge it came to about £1200

Triton I never heard back from…

Justin Burls was really good to deal with and as he’s now offering a 44mm head tube option I’ve started thinking I might get something from him. This would have the benefit of a UK based warranty etc for roughly the same cost. All his frames are the same price no matter what you do as far as I remember. With no fancy finish the frame would have been £1065 delivered so very comparable to xacd but a bit more reassurance.

At the time I wanted the reassurance of a UK presence but a tapered head tube which Burls couldn’t then do so I ended up ordering from Enigma. I subsequently cancelled that order and bought a SC Butcher instead because Enigma were extremely hard work to deal with considering I’d put a none refundable deposit down on a nearly £2k ti frame.

bonesetter
    Free Member

I found the same with Enigma – just not helpful, too forthright and impatient

I don’t know how accommodating Burls will be with unusual requests… eg super short CS’s on a 29er – that sort of thing

bonesetter
    Free Member

BTW – I never heard back from Triton after 2 emails

IvanDobski
    Free Member

He was really flexible tbh – I wanted dropped toptubes, braces, and ebb all of which he could do, it was just the headtube which was the only problem and that now seems to have been resolved. He gets back to you quickly and is happy to chat so worth checking I’d say.

Personally I’d have appreciated a bit of impatience and forthright-ness from Enigma, instead they took the cash and fobbed me off for months. It still winds me up how poor they were because I was really looking forward to that frame.

hora
    Free Member

Enigma? No offence to them but I wouldn’t hand over a large bit of cash up front.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

This seems like an almost pointless exercise. What do you want specifically that you cant find in an off the shelf frame?

A long travel hardtail – I guess it’ll be getting some abuse then. Everyone knows ti is a shite material for frame cos it breaks. Easily. And those are frames from reputable(maybe) manufacturers.

The quality of construction on a cheaper frame will make it even more likely to fail. And I doubt you’ll have a warranty (or at least not one thats worth anything).

Then cos its ti you’ll struggle to get it repaired anywhere.

Get a custom steel frame from a uk builder if you really want something custom. Cant see the point though..

I_Ache
    Free Member

Hora make sure you spec thicker/larger diameter tubes so it isnt as flexy as your old 456Ti.

I have thought about a XACD frame for a while but my BFe really is just what I want in a HT so there is just no point now.

br
    Free Member

the last post from you was how you had no cash to spend after dismissing a steel 456 you’d just bought/built…

A long travel hardtail – I guess it’ll be getting some abuse then. Everyone knows ti is a shite material for frame cos it breaks. Easily. And those are frames from reputable(maybe) manufacturers.

Of course, +3 years of abuse for my 456Ti, including 3000km’s so far this year…

binners

This seems like an almost pointless exercise. What do you want specifically that you cant find in an off the shelf frame?

He’s already tried every frame in the known universe. They’re all shite!!

Thing is you need to be sure on EXACTLY what you want, down to every angle and every placing of every cable tie

What could possibly go wrong?

Please order it. Please? Do it now! Go on! Lets all hold hands, and have a moments silence, and quiet contemplation, as we all embark on this journey together.

I’m feel supremely confident that you’ll end up with the bike you’ve always searched for. The mythical perfect frame that has consistently eluded you for so many years.

Delivered, on time. Precisely on spec. To cost. And perfectly aligned to your designs, which, as we never doubted, will meet the exact description of the holy grail itself…

*drumroll please*

… the PERFECT HARDTAIL

Can’t wait. Get it ordered!!! 😀

IanMunro
    Free Member

😀 😀 😀

wwaswas

Can I recommend that hora goes on one of those ‘build your own frame in a week’ courses run by various uk frame builders?

his own design, assembled by his own hand.

what could go wrong?

hora
    Free Member

br how much do you weigh? The ti456 I owned had a crazy amount of lateral flex in the bb area. You could watch the frame sway alot when you put pressure on a pedal. I remembered thinking it was only a matter of time before a weld gave way…..maybe the failures at the rear/near the wheel was nothing to do with this flex but then again it wouldn’t have helped would it (having that much give built into a frame in the BB area). I wasn’t the only one who called it noodley.

I_ache I like the idea of the Bfe – is it ‘solid’ on the rear? I was very close to buying a secondhand one but I waited over a week and then on the day of meeting the seller still hadn’t stripped it down 😆

The perfect hardtail? Based round a medium old Chameleon – an extra 1/2inch on the TT and an extra inch on the ST with abit more ‘give in the rear stays (i.e. not box-alu stays).

Perfection.

Of course everyones view is subjective – I just didn’t get on with the Ti456. The Journo’s at Bikeradar did.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Chapeau Hora.

You’ve always had an imaginative approach to bike ownership and what constitutes the perfect steed. Taking all those inspired observations about every other bike and turning it around into your dream is ace.

But the big question – what will you call the Hora brand bike?

hora
    Free Member

Elvis Wong

Either that or

Rocky Chan

Awesome names and would do any kooky downtube justice in a sort of US 70’s block font 😆

Sodajim

Stanton Slackline?

jota180
    Free Member

Elvis Wong

Either that or

Rocky Chan

or ……… Rubbery Jubberwy

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Perhaps take the first letter of every bike you’ve ever owned and see if an anagram appears? Or would that be too long for the top tube?

hora
    Free Member

Well the majority would begin with S so you could have it sounding like a snake…

crikey
    Free Member

Call it the Hot Potato; cos you won’t hold on to it for very long.

binners

Gone By The Weekend?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Which Ebay (China/Far east) seller who can make a ti frame to your measurements?’ is closed to new replies.