Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • which Dry lube?
  • nickc

not really been a massive user but since I last used them (ages ago) they’ve surely got better? and I’m a bit fed up with the black manky chain I always end up with.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

GT85.

iainc

Squirt

creamegg
    Free Member

Squirt or muc off

core
    Suggsey
    Free Member

Muc off C3 dry, applied a few hours before you are due to ride….lasts longer in my experience than Squirt in Cannock Chase conditions…. Including damp and the odd puddle.

fudge9202
    Free Member

This one from the latest psa it’s a 16oz bottle, great value and a superb lube according to the stw faithful http://www.halfords.com/cycling/tools-maintenance/cleaning-lube/progold-prolink-extreme-spray-16oz

shredder
    Free Member

RR Extreme blue if you can find it

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Used Squirt, then White Lightning Clean Ride, next bottle was another one of Clean Ride. V similar to Squirt but get more for your money.

Said before in lube threads but MRP and E13 both recommend against Pro Gold lubes as the paraffin base wrecks their products (for those of us who are old-skool and ride with bashguards, chain guides etc)

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Squirt.

lunge

FinishLine.

nairnster
    Free Member

I love my Pedros ice Wax

lukedwr
    Free Member

Squirt

singletracksurfer

Squirt

bencooper
    Free Member

I use Profi Drylube in the workshop – not easy to find in this country, I import it specially, but it’s the best I’ve found by a long way. Sprays on thinly, evaporates quickly to leave a really slippery layer behind.

robhughes
    Free Member

Here… 😉
    link

bencooper
    Free Member

Yup, that’s the stuff – I just get it by the crate from Germany 😉

robhughes
    Free Member

Fancy selling me a can then……Please Ben 😀

bencooper
    Free Member

I’m all out! Got more arriving next week, though – bung me an email.

robhughes
    Free Member

One sent.Thanks ben. 😀

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Purple.

mashiehood
    Free Member

Squirt

bigbloke
    Free Member

Ben…where do you get it, seems pricey but does it last well? Currently a r n r extreme user but that’s all gone nearly 🙁

oxym0r0n

C3 hasn’t lasted long on a ride for me, even on the road. Started with completely clean chain and did 2 applications before ride. Very noisy after just a few miles

chakaping
    Free Member

No love for White Lightning Epic Ride?

I use it for MTB and road – seems to stay on just long enough but you never get any sticky residue or gunk.

Wish it was a bit cheaper, but seems on par with rivals.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

White Lightning Clean Ride.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Given up on dry lube, not found one that lasts more than a few hours riding, before the chain sounds dry

Inbred456
    Free Member

Finish line red for Summer and green for Winter. Never found anything better for the price. A drop on each link spin the pedals. Wipe the outside of the chain then ride. Never had a dry chain. For what its worth I never clean my chains just wipe off the excess crud then re lube. They seem to last longer in my experience.

asdfhjkl
    Free Member

I got some Squirt lube last week after another thread here where most folk recommended it. I was previously using Finish Line Dry (red cap). Very impressed with Squirt and its “self cleaning” properties – had a few manky rides around damp and muddy trails and it’s quiet and clean (unlike the rest of the bike); by comparison the Finish Line Dry would’ve been long gone, leaving me with a dirty and noisy chain.

ajt123
    Free Member

Would have said Rock ‘n’ roll blue – but that is getting discontinued.

I’m going to try ultimate bike solution this summer – but when it gets wet I might try prolink, possibly stealth.

Depends on your geology and riding.

For me I have moved away from really wet lubes like finish line green. If cycling in the muck I’m going to strip the drive-chain down after every ride anyway – if it can last a day on the hills that it good enough for me. It is the grit which really kills the drive chain, so I run the lightest lube I can get away with.

I put a quality lube on the chain after each ride and have some light oil in the back-pack in case the lot get’s washed off. To be honest I’ve never needed to.

iainc

Since going to Squirt when dryish and Progold Extreme rest of time I have a shelf of redundant other lubes ! C3 Ceramic Wet, White Lightning Epic, Fenwicks Stealth Road, all gathering dust….

nickc

Given up on dry lube, not found one that lasts more than a few hours riding, before the chain sounds dry

that was my view!! I was hoping they’d improved 😯

Bought some Fenwick’s Dry weather (what Blazin’ Saddles had!) we’ll give it a go!

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

having linked Wiggle, white ligbtning clean ride is on sale @ merlin.

Bought some Fenwick’s Dry weather (what Blazin’ Saddles had!) we’ll give it a go!

seemed to be the worst of both worlds for me – wet enough to attract grit and dirt, too thin so dried out and lost lubing ability quickly.

alex283
    Free Member

@ajt123 I’ve used UBS before as well, I’m like you, my bike tends to get so mucky after a ride (not surprising in scotland) that I have to hose it down anyway, so I just spray the stuff on afterwards (sometimes I don’t even wait until it’s dry…)

old_mtber
    Free Member

Purple Extreme works well although not strictly a dry lube. Finish Line Ceramic wet is good all year round.
    The MucOff dry and wet lubes are far too heavy and make an awful mess imo.

scotroutes

Pedros Ice Wax is clean and works well but won’t survive a loooong day out. I’ve not found a dry lube that will.

Squirt was rubbish when I last tried it.

Solo
    Free Member

Ime, purple is a good lube, but my chain did go black as purple seems to stay wet enough to collect the crud.

White lightening epic, ime, not a totally dry lube so again, chain was stickey enough to collect the dust and grime.

Currently running on white lightening dry lube. Doesn’t last that long, so a slightly increased frequency of cleaning and re-application. But the chain stays it’s original colour and doesn’t gum-up.

gee
    Free Member

I use Squirt. It’s great as long as you use it as intended – I’ve changed my lubing routine (ooh er) from just before a ride to after I’ve cleaned the bike so it has time to dry properly. As long as it’s not hat wet all the chain then needs is a wipe on a towel to remove any grime and relube.

Solo
    Free Member

Ah, good point. When I apply the white lightening, I remove the chain, using the speed link, clean, then lay it in a small tray then cover with lube and leave it to set over night.
    Next day, thread the chain into the drive train and you’re off!

scotroutes

What do you do if you are out riding for more than one day?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘which Dry lube?’ is closed to new replies.