• This topic has 28 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Which Dropper seatpost…?
  • mboy
    Free Member

Rather specific fit this one, I can’t just go for my default reverb as it can’t be hydraulic this time, it needs to be…

-Cable actuated
    -30.9mm
    -Externally routed
    -125mm drop preferable, 100mm at least
    -Reliable and easy to service

Am tempted by the Magura Vyron which of course removes the need for cable routing at all, but not convinced by the remote unit and the slight delay in operation when pressing the button. The Thomson Elite is the obvious choice but a bit spendy, then there’s the KS Lev but those I’ve tried previously haven’t overwhelmed me with their performance.

So suggestions please…?

vincienup
    Free Member

Lev for me every time with this set of requirements.

As an externally routed post it’s just unbeatable… unless you get a really awesome deal on a Fox Transfer maybe. Not sure what they’re like for service though. Internally routed and the competition opens up a bit – but unless you want to open up the frame a bit too, that’s not relevant.

Just so happens I might have a BNIB 30.9 Lev DX from a build that never was, if you’re interested? It’s sat in it’s box since arriving from Stif last year…

Junkyard
    Free Member

Gravity dropper
    Ugly but they work

Onzadog
    Free Member

No suggestions but curious as to why it can’t be hydraulic.

mboy
    Free Member

No suggestions but curious as to why it can’t be hydraulic.

Carbon XC frame, utilising the redundant front mech internal cable routing along the top tube, but sadly it has end stops (that I’m NOT going to drill out!) otherwise I’d be using a Reverb.

Gravity dropper
    Ugly but they work

1000x NO I’m afraid! They are a sinful hang up from the dark days when droppers first came around. Things have moved on BIG time… And my god they are ugly!

Just so happens I might have a BNIB 30.9 Lev DX from a build that never was, if you’re interested? It’s sat in it’s box since arriving from Stif last year…

I would be interested, but dependent on price.

paule
    Free Member

I’m surprisingly pleased with my rsp one, the earlier external routed 100mm travel version.

Junkyard
    Free Member

They are a sinful hang up from the dark days when droppers first came around.

Mine is 10 years old and still works and it does not require servicing either.

Drop me a mail when yours breaks and I will let you know how it is doing 😉

Pz_Steve

I’ve been really impressed by the 2 TranzX droppers I got (for my Fatbike and Mrs Pz’s Orange). Both have been really reliable so far – though possibly jinxing it now.

Come in most seatpost sizes and about 100 Euros from bike-discount.de ….. hard to argue with at that price.

davewalsh
    Free Member

I have a Fox Transfer with wolftooth remote. Really like it, prefer the action to that of the Reverb, it just feels more positive.
    Can’t comment on reliability or service costs yet as it isn’t that old, however before purchase I did check with my local suspension expert (Bounce MTB) who does all my servicing to check that he could do it and it wouldn’t be a main dealer only, as that would have been a dealbreaker for me.

qwerty
    Free Member

Brand X Ascend for me next time the Reverb plays up.

mboy
    Free Member

I’m surprisingly pleased with my rsp one, the earlier external routed 100mm travel version.

They work quite well, albeit slightly agriculturally (though not as bad as Gravity Dropper!). Were only ever available in 27.2 though. I need a 30.9, and no, I will not be shimming it. Would prefer 125mm drop too.

I’ve been really impressed by the 2 TranzX droppers I got (for my Fatbike and Mrs Pz’s Orange). Both have been really reliable so far – though possibly jinxing it now.

Doesn’t look bad for the money to be fair, but happy to pay more for something with a better (read 2 bolt) clamp, and that weighs a fair bit less. This is going on a carbon XC HT after all.

mboy
    Free Member

I have a Fox Transfer with wolftooth remote. Really like it, prefer the action to that of the Reverb, it just feels more positive.

Yeah tempted by the Fox, their own remote is stupid money though! Which end does the cable nipple go with the Fox? Remote or seatpost end?

Brand X Ascend for me next time the Reverb plays up.

Internally routed only otherwise would have been an easy choice…

jam-bo

My next post will be a bikeyoke revive.

bruneep

Slightly less than impressed with my LEV, developed the dreaded sag apparently it needs need a new oil cartridge stick.

Will investigate the bikeyoke post

<edit> yes I like that

iainc

Fox cable nipple goes at post end

martinhutch

My next post will be a bikeyoke revive.

Good choice – been impressed with mine so far. Internal only though I think.

davewalsh
    Free Member

Nipple goes at post end.
    Wolf tooth remote is a similar price to the fox but comes in ispec versions so fits much nicer with my brakes.

flyingmonkeycorps

The newer Plummet comes in 30.9 but it’s heavy (fine on my 456 but maybe not so much on a light carbon frame) and I wouldn’t like to vouch for reliability. I killed one in a few months, only one ride into the warranty replacement so far.

jam-bo

Good choice – been impressed with mine so far. Internal only though I think.

Missed the external routed bit.

I’d just drill the frame.

sirromj

They work quite well, albeit slightly agriculturally (though not as bad as Gravity Dropper!). Were only ever available in 27.2 though. I need a 30.9, and no, I will not be shimming it. Would prefer 125mm drop too.[/quote]
    I’m quite pleased with mine, especially for the price, the one I got had 120mm drop not 100 as advertised, and is 30.9 31.6 dia.
    It’s not as nice as my KS Dropzone R, but again, for the price can’t complain. Agree with wanting something more refined for a carbon frame though.

arogers
    Free Member

I don’t know if Specialized still sell an externally routed version of the Command post? I’d vote for that. Used mine for 2 years in all sorts of cack, never touched it bar lubing the stanchion occasionally and it was faultless. Cable clamps at post end too, so you can use it with your choice of gear shifter. If they made the Command post with a longer drop I’d still be using them.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

I don’t know if Specialized still sell an externally routed version of the Command post?

They do – the Blacklite. It’s what I’d go for.

chestrockwell

I’d go for the Thomson all day long. Mine was trouble free and much higher quality than the Reverb that replaced it. Only changed as I went stealth and wanted a black post.

My Specialized Command is also decent if you don’t mind the limited settings.

dahedd
    Free Member

I got an RSP 125mm external from JE James recently to use on my Fatty. Really good value (£90 ish) and does the job just fine. That said it came with a cable that was already frayed but they replaced it for me within 48hrs.

In my stupidity though I never fitted the new cable. Bloody thing snapped lastnight leaving it stuck in the down position …duh.

woody74

Are Gravity Dropper even in business any longer. No one seems to sell them and their website hasn’t been updated since 2013!! If there was ever a company that failed to capitalise on a market exploding in size.

jamesmio
    Free Member

Finally took the plunge on a Thomson Elite Dropper for the Soul and it’s hands down the best droppy post I’ve ever used. Can’t obviously comment on reliability yet (it’s been on 3 days) but it’s smooth, quick to drop/return and looks and feels every bit a premium product.

I’ve used Reverbs on everything else for years and this one feels better all round.

iainc

Fox Transfer internal and Wolftooth LA lever here, cannot fault it, though early days so far. Much better action and lever than my reverb on other bike.

z1ppy

No love for the Giant? Post suggesting it can be converted between 125mm or 150mm
    TBH if buying new my next one will be the TranzX, they come in 125mm but you have to hunt round for them (german sites)

iainc

^^^^ The original Giant one was great IMO, the newer iterations less so. My original one lasted the 18 months I had the bike with no issues at all. Got a new Anthem in January and the post was warrantied after not a lot of use – lost it’s anodising in a few rides, was crunchy to move. Sold the warranty replacement and got the Fox Transfer one.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Which Dropper seatpost…?’ is closed to new replies.