Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Which downtube protector?
  • nsbikescore1
    Free Member

Any recommendations for a decent downtube protector?

I’ve had a rockguardz before but the fit wasn’t that great. I’ve also seen the lizard skin carbon / leather version which looks ok. Anyone used the lizard skin one or have other suggestions ?

Ta

andyv
    Free Member

I use an old Kenda Smallblock 8 tyre, cut to shape and ziptied on.

BigDummy
    Free Member

A section of old tyre and some zip-ties makes your bike look hard as nails and works brilliantly.

🙂

BigDummy
    Free Member

Kenda Smallblock 8

fast-rolling, but not very aggressive in the corners. You need something bulkier for big mountain downtube protection.

😉

nsbikescore1
    Free Member

Probably should have said that I don’t want to zip tie a tyre to a spangly new frame although to be fair I’m sure it works well!

thepodge
    Free Member

As above a ratty old Continental XC tyre cut up and zip tied on.

andybrad

ive got the lizard skins one and its ok.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Old tyre +1

The only thing more manly is a pock marked downtube of a bike that’s actually been ridden properly and and owner who isn’t constantly worrying about it’s re-sale value.

dlangers
    Free Member

try these they are very good
    https://www.allmountainstyle.com/

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

I want a decent down tube protector for my rune, tried the all mountain one mentioned above but it didn’t stick, sent back for a refund and was told it was a possible batch issue.
    Any know any other non tire/cable tie ideas

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

The SKS Fatboard downtube has so far stayed in place for me with two generously long Velcro straps.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Depends on the shape of your tube 😉 but if it’s just a fat round one, shed gutter downpipe cut longitudinally does a good job with some number plate double sided tape.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Which downtube protector?’ is closed to new replies.