Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Which DH Cassette
  • Limy
    Free Member

Can anyone help? I need a new drive chain for the DH bike and looking for a 10 speed cassette that’s around the 11-28 ratio. I cant seem to find any 10 speed mtb cassettes that are below 32 teeth? Are people using road cassettes or am I just not looking in right place? Cheers.

cookeaa

CRC now let you sort by gear range…

Seems there’s plenty of 10 speed 11-28s mostly “road” cassettes, but sprockets are just sprockets.

Thought the shorter zee/saint mechs were Intended for 11-28 cassettes, could be wrong though…

BearBack
    Free Member

Shimano 105 will do.

Limy
    Free Member

Yes exactly they are all road cassettes. I thought Shimano would have had a zee/saint cassette

toys19
    Free Member

I use this sram dh cassette from CRC.

rocketman
    Free Member

Yup 11-28 road cassette on mine everything else is SRAM MTB works perfectly

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Doesn’t make a difference how they brand a cassette (‘road’, ‘mtb’, ‘martian’); it’s all about the sprocket size and number isn’t it!

njee20
    Free Member

Doesn’t make a difference how they brand a cassette (‘road’, ‘mtb’, ‘martian’); it’s all about the sprocket size and number isn’t it!

Yes and no, actually a Shimano 10 speed road cassette is 1mm narrower than an MTB cassette. Shimano claim they’re not cross compatible, but they’re talking shit, it’s fine.

Limy
    Free Member

Yes I currently use that sram dh cassette but need a 10sp one now which they don’t do. Will try a road cassette then

xiphon
    Free Member

10sp on a DH bike?

I’ve got a 9sp modded to 8sp. Tempted to take it down to 7sp..

toys19
    Free Member

although I think you need 10 speed for a clutch mech and narrow wide?

xiphon
    Free Member

Personally I’d run a full chain device, not narrow/wide kit on a DH bike.

toys19
    Free Member

I rode with some guys on some dead rough tracks DH in Portugal on 160mm Am bikes using narrow wide. Never dropped a chain. Made me wonder.

Northwind

I’m running a 9-speed sram shifter and 10-speed saint mech on mine, for the clutch. Matter of taste but I can’t see much point in close ratios on a dh bike, just means more shifting.

legend
    Free Member

I always seem to end up wanting an in-between gear on the DH bike, close ratios help me out there (if I hadn’t just sold the DH bike that is). Wide ratio cassettes don’t make much sense other than pedalling to the uplift/start line

Northwind

Suppose it depends a bit on what range of stuff you do and how much you change spec… I’m not fast so I don’t consider my race experience that useful but at the sda glencoe red race the other year, I was seriously glad for the width of gearing. At innerleithen it’s never very useful on the way down… But I don’t change the bike around so it’s good to be able to cover more ground.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Which DH Cassette’ is closed to new replies.