• This topic has 16 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Which device to transmit music from iPhone to car radio?
  • mildred

The Mrs wants one of these things but I know nowt about them. Can anyone recommend one?

Drac

iTrip use to work well, not sure I kept my old one or gave it away.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I had one of the first ones for the iPod, frankly it didn’t work very well as the radio ariel was external but I understand they work better with interenal/windscreen type ariels. If you have an aftermarket stereo you could see about switching that for one with a jackplug

mildred

Unfortunately it’s a ford integrates thingy- about the only one that doesn’t accept their proprietary plug in thingy. We’re getting rid of it in spring so don’t want to spend money on the car or radio.

kcal

Got a Kensington one for my old iPod – it doesn’t charge the iPhone but does transmit the music. Works OK.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I spent 12 quid on an auxiliary cable that plugged straight into the back of my ford integrated radio. I connect my phone with a short double ended 3.5mm cable.

mildred

I spent 12 quid on an auxiliary cable that plugged straight into the back of my ford integrated radio. I connect my phone with a short double ended 3.5mm cable.

So did I, only to find that despite Ford saying it will work – the socket/port or whatever it’s called is not there. Based on the model number etc. It should be there, yet ours doesn’t have one.

bikebouy
    Free Member

For my Van I got one of those things you plug into the cigarette lighter, through a receiver and into the phone (which also charges my iPhone) I got mine form Maplin for about £15 IIRC and it’s pretty good.

All you do is plug it into the cigarette lighter socket, plug your phone into the other end of it, press the tuner thingy thats attached and then tune in the radio to the frequency it suggests.

Works fine, sometimes it crosses signal with local radio stations so on occasion I have to retune it but that takes about 30sec’s and is no problem.

So, pretty good, could be what you are looking for.

mildred

That sounds like what she’s describing. Can you recall the name of it?

superfli
    Free Member

We have a Parrot mki9200. It’s a lot more money, harder to fit, but does a fair bit more. It’s a hands free device so can access your phone book, has its own display. You can control your music collection too, so play pause skip track and volume. It’ll also tell you what’s passing. It’s very good although the remote has battery issues which its very annoying.

metcalt

I had this in my old car for a good couple of years and it served me well, it’s one of the pricier ones but lasted.

http://www.halfords.com/sat-nav-audio/car-entertainment-technology/mp3-player-mobile-phone-accessories/belkin-tunecast-auto-live

wobbem
    Free Member

Depends where you live with those Belkin types etc, ie London has pirate radio popping up every where and I was retuning / losing signal all the time.
    Best to get another radio fitted that will take a 3.5mm Jack, bluetooth etc etc

Drac

That sounds like what she’s describing. Can you recall the name of it?

iTrip.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Hmmm… lost the box, but it looks like the iTrip but has about 400mm of cable, could be a Belkin one as it looks like this one..

PrinceJohn

Presume the car stereo hasn’t got bluetooth? Cos if it has you should be able to pair it & play wirelessly.. just asking the question before you spend you £££!

nickdavies

You need an FM modulator. If it’s for an I whatever with a 30 pin adaptor I have a connects2 one you can have for a tenner posted.

You just hard wire it behind the dash to the ciggy lighter and it has a pass through for the ariel plugged in to the radio. All the options open to you are bodges but that’s the best one. The FM transmitters are fairly crap generally.

DezB
    Free Member

Presume the car stereo hasn’t got bluetooth? Cos if it has you should be able to pair it & play wirelessly.. just asking the question before you spend you £££!

Nah, my Ford has Bluetooth, but only for calls. Can’t pair up the music player. Though it has got an aux port in the glovebox.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Which device to transmit music from iPhone to car radio?’ is closed to new replies.