Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Which desktop PC?
  • deadslow

My current desktop is failing dismally to run photoshop and lightroom. Its 10 years old and the 2.40 Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 8GB memory has done me well. Its time for a replacement and I looking to run the above programmes and possibly do some video editing. I dont want to play games but like lots of monitor real estate and would like something to be able to run a 4k monitor.
    I am brand agnostic and am happy for something cosmetically imperfect – it will sit under my desk and get scratched etc anyway.
    I have seen two systems on ebay, both Dell refurbished with scratched cases and need some advice on which will give best real world performance? Budget £1-1.2k
    Option A:
    Dell Precision T3610 Workstation Desktop PC. Intel Xeon Quad Core E5-1620v2 3.70/3.90GHz, 64GB DDR3 Memory, 480GB SSD + 2TB 7200RPM HDD, Graphics Card Nvidia Quadro 6000 6GB GDDR5 GPU

Option B.
    Alienware Aurora R6, Intel i7-7700 4.2GHz Quad Core CPU, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5X Graphics, 32GB DDR4 2,400 RAM, 256GB PCIe SSD + 1TB HDD

Both are within budget. Your advice gratfully recieved

Cougar

The first is really a CAD workstation, the second a gaming rig, and the graphics cards / drivers will be optimised for those applications.

For your usage I’d hazard that the former is more appropriate. That said, I reckon the CPU in the Alienware will batter that Xeon.

Cougar
    deadslow

Thanks Cougar, thats clear then!

cp

Direct from the dell outlet will be way cheaper than the third party resellers selling on dell’s own outlet stuff.

Just check regularly as stock changes frequently.

deadkenny
    Free Member

+1 Dell Outlet. Though for that budget, a new one from Dell will get you a decent spec (though maybe not with a 4K monitor 😉 )

I’d look at XPS if looking at a decent Dell desktop for home with decent grunt and video performance for photo/video kind of stuff.

I wouldn’t be looking at ebay for £1k+ spend. Who are the retailers, do they provide warranty, will they even exist in a year’s time, is it just some bloke in his bedroom selling on outlet stuff or grey imports / etc?

p.s. get something with a decent SSD as main drive. 256 or 512GB SSD. Massive improvement in performance. Then 1TB+ second hard drive for data.

FuzzyWuzzy

Out of the 2 systems you mention I’d def opt for the second, better CPU and the 1060 is decent for the type of use you mention – sounds a bit of a bargain at under £1.2k.

fatbikeandcoffee
    Free Member

Sorry away from your original question but when I had the same dilemma I ended up getting a custom build PC from an online UK based company.

I’m not around at home as I’m on holidays but have a quick Google and compare perhaps?

Best,

James

deadslow

Thanks for all the advice especially cougar, great tool to compare real world performance of chips vs hype! Thanks. Off to talk to the wife to get agreement!

plyphon
    Free Member

and the graphics cards / drivers will be optimised for those applications.

Not really applicable if you’re only sticking to photos/stills.

GPU and driver optimisation only comes into things if you’re rendering 3D work, simulations, video, etc.

For stills any consumer/gaming GPU will be great.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Which desktop PC?’ is closed to new replies.