Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Which decent restaurant / pub in Cardiff this evening?
  • Mintyjim

Hi,
    Was thinking the Maenllwyd but I’ve not been there for a year and apparently the ‘upgrade’ has made it crap! Maybe the Fwrrwm Ishta in Machen?
    Something nice, not crazy expensive, and either the countryside or possibly the bay?
    Cheers!

molgrips
    Free Member

Let me be the first to point out that neither of those pubs is in Cardiff 🙂

Mintyjim

sooooo pedantic. Thanks for your input!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    molgrips
    Free Member

Honestly, I’ve never found a ‘nice’ place to eat that I liked in Cardiff. We just go out to the chain shops nowadays. Better than trying pub after pub and being disappointed.

Either the Brewery Quarter or the food court in St David’s 2.

keppoch

For tonight I recommend Mimosa in Cardiff Bay. Not cheap, not killer expensive.

Molgrips, work your way round these and tell me you don’t find somewhere you like: Mimosa, Canteen on Clifton Street, Laguna, Lilos, Haveli, Vegetarian Food Studio, Patagonia, Conway, Tenkaichi.

Chains on the other hand… “Have you eaten here before…”

I think eating in Cardiff is excellent.

molgrips
    Free Member

Thanks for those tips Keppoch 🙂

I didn’t say there wasn’t anything good, just that I hadn’t found it. And I don’t get the animosity towards chains – what difference does it make if there are identical restaurants in other towns..? I’ve had some good meals in them, that’s what matters.

Bear in mind Mrs Grips is American and her attitude towards eating out is a bit different. We usually don’t want to spend all evening about it.

mike88
    Free Member

Zero degrees in Cardiff..excellent home brew and very nice pizza!

surf1666
    Free Member

The Chapter arts centre is good nice food and great beer!

Tinners

Keppoch has given a few good suggestions (especially Patagonia). Let me give you a few more. Bullys was recently voted Cardiff’s best restaurant and is certainly one of the best places I’ve eaten in Cardiff. Further afield, but still in Cardiff is Caesars Arms in Creigiau – you select your meat or fish from a cold counter and they cook it. Great Welsh black steaks. Only downside is a £15 taxi ride from the centre of Cardiff. Treharne arms by Culverhouse cross is another option. A very well regarded restaurant used to be Le Gallois and a friend told me last week that the chef has relocated to the Kings Arms in Pentyrch (Cardiff). I’ve not been there, but if it’s true, the food should be very good.
    If you’re after Indian, try the Cinnamon Tree in Pontcanna district or Juboraj (however, Juboraj Rhiwbina restaurant is vastly better than the city centre one – not sure why).
    For Chinese, try Summer Palace in Llandaf or the Happy Gathering..
    My favorite Italian in Cardiff is Cibos in Pontcanna. It’s a bit rough and ready and the Italian speaking staff can sometimes be a little surly but the food is very authentic and good quality. The only downside is the high markup on decidedly mediocre wines. Often frequented by Welsh media celebs and current/past rugby internationals (or at least when I go that seems to be the case).
    If you’re looking for somewhere to go with a few pubs or restaurants in the vicinity, I’d look at either Pontcanna or Llandaf. City centre is pretty much the same as other city centres in terms of places to eat (i.e. chain restaurants – nothing necessarily wrong with chain restaurants, just that your at the mercy of whoever’s operating the microwave in that particular branch as to whether the meal will be any good). You could take a water taxi from the Castle grounds to Cardiff Bay. If you do, Woods is quite good (but small portions and a bit pricey for what you get) or Garcon (ditto). Plenty of bars and a comedy club down the Bay too.

molgrips
    Free Member

If you’re after Indian

Oooh.. didn’t mention my actual fave restaurant which is Mint and Mustard on Whitchurch road opposite Companies House. They cook real home style Indian food as testified by Indian people, and they create unique dishes rather than just trotting out Jalfrezis and Tikka Massalas. Definitely worth a look.

Tinners

Something nice, not crazy expensive, and either the countryside or possibly the bay

If you’re considering travelling to the Ffwrwm Ishta, then I’d consider The Bush Inn in St Hilary (closer to city centre that the Ffwrwm Ishta but heading towards Cowbridge rather than Machen). There are loads of nice places towards the Cowbridge side of Cardiff but they tend to be a bit more pricey. I really like The Market Place in Cowbridge – a bit on the pricey side unless you go for the set price menu (which would be my choice of all the suggestions given).

creamegg
    Free Member

Maenllwyd use to do awesome food, but since new owners/managers have taken over the food is only average. still a nice place / setting out on the beer garden. Ffwrwm Ista is also ok, but still nothing special. If I was you i’d try teh Mint and Mustard, although not been there myself a lot of friends jave and havent heard anything bad yet.

benjamins11
    Free Member

Cafe Mina on whitchurch road is good for lebanese food.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Which decent restaurant / pub in Cardiff this evening?’ is closed to new replies.