Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Which cyclocross race to go and watch in Europe this winter?
  • fr0sty
    Free Member

I’m looking to make a long weekend of going out to perhaps Belgium(?) to watch a pro cyclocross race, take some photographs and perhaps even ride a local race or sportive.. I’m an amateur when it comes to racing, but this trip would be more about the experience than me actually racing, but riding a local something or other would be fun too.

Has anyone done anything similar and if so have you got any recommendations or suggestions?

Cheers!

LS
    Free Member

The Worlds are always great as a spectator, but if you want to race as well as watch it’s a good plan to do a local race on the Saturday and then watch an SP or BPost on the Sunday.
    Zonhoven would be my choice to watch at, closely followed by Gavere.

bikebouy
    Free Member

10/22/2017 Coupe du Monde Cyclo-cross UCI Telenet 2017-2018 / 2017-2018 Telenet UCI Cyclo-cross World Cup Koksijde

This is ace, plenty to choose from though.

UCI CX calendar is your friend.

Book accom early though or be prepared to drive to location, take wellies or strong walking boot, expect to get muddy, eat fries and mayo, drink blonde, take cowbells.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ferrals
    Free Member

What are hte local races like? I’m guessing a lot harder than our regional races? Massive fields?

I want to do this one year too.

davemonty
    Free Member

Did a full season in Belgium a few years ago.
    Most spectacular race would have to be the world champs due to the sizes of the crowd and level of talent on display.
    2nd to that, as mentioned above, Zonhoven is a good one for the big ‘pit’ in which you see the riders come down, through, up, down, through and up again. I think the Koppenberg cross is also fairly amazing, along with Koksidje.

Namur is a pretty cool spot but you wouldn’t see as much as a spectator, same with Gavere.

kilo

We went to the worlds this year in Luxembourg and will be going to go again next year. Isn’t there one the same time as the Ghent six so you can do the best track and cx on the same weekend

hofnar
    Free Member

Make sure you preenter for the local race its apparently compulsary from this year on. Unless you wanna do some non uci event quite some local associations organizing races aswell.

hjghg5
    Free Member

We’re doing diegem and gp Sven nys over new year (Saturday evening/Monday-NYD). Last year we attempted to combine gent and koksijde but it was cancelled 🙁 the season before that it was the worlds. Plus NYE drinking Belgian beer in Brussels.

fr0sty
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips folks. I’m looking to ride an amateur event – I’m a complete novice and will no doubt get my arse handed to me by a field of children, but it’ll be a good laugh.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Which cyclocross race to go and watch in Europe this winter?’ is closed to new replies.