Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 114 total)
  • Which cyclocross bike (or frame) for racing
  • sefton
    Free Member

…still coming in for a bike change is a disadvantage.

I’m happy with canti’s but from what I see disc frames hold less mud around the back (there is no brake cables/cantilevers for mud to cling to so all the crap simply falls off) this makes for a lighter bike.

what I need is jockey wheels that dont clog and let you keep putting the power down without risking ripping your mech off.

trickydisco
    Free Member

what I need is jockey wheels that dont clog and let you keep putting the power down without risking ripping your mech off.

yes please! i think i remember seeing crossjunkie adding some fins to his. Not sure if it worked?!

I do love the look of the pickenflick with single ring set up

I will be going single ring with whatever bike i choose

LS
    Free Member

The seatstay bridge is a total mud trap and a daft design feature on a Ti frame, no need for it at all.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Ooo just seen this over at road.cc…

Could be a contender. Bit pricey. Shame no frame only. Hydraulic version available in December, just in time for the end of the cross season!

trickydisco
    Free Member

The seatstay bridge is a total mud trap and a daft design feature on a Ti frame, no need for it at all.

Ah This one?

LS
    Free Member

Sorry – meant chainstay 😳
    But yes, that one!

dragon
    Free Member

Trek Boone looks absolute quality if you’ve got the cash.

SkatefurtherBen
    Free Member

Im just going to leave this here Gav…

SkatefurtherBen
    Free Member

And this..

trickydisco
    Free Member

Ha ha.. That’s the one. Very nice bike 🙂

thought it was 1×10? What’s the clearance like? Last weeks race (warmley) has got me paranoid about clearance now (not the fact that i’m so unfit at the moment)

eddie11
    Free Member

Don’t know about the Boone but the trek crockett does look a sorted bike. Doesn’t set the heart racing as it’s a Bit dull in the flesh, looks better in photos, but they’ve got the important things right, clearance looks very good with no bridges. Geometry is nu Skool US, whether that makes a difference in real life I have no idea 🙂

vdubber67
    Free Member

Raced an XLS all last season. Great bike for the money. I never had mud clearance issues really, and I wasn’t bike changing (no helpers!)

Just bought a second one for next season now I have helpers lined up.

crossjunkie
    Free Member

The bridge on the Pickenflick might appear to be a mudtrap but with a single ring, both myself and Dave have had no problems with clogging, including at legendary mudders Bradford and Todmorden.

I can’t think of many bikes on the market that I’ve seen that would have better clearance overall, and the huge clearance on the seat stays on the ‘flick help massively in this respect.

LS
    Free Member

But Alan, it’d be so easy to get rid of it altogether without losing any rigidity, and then you’d have absolutely monster clearances. I managed it fine on mine with a standard 68 shell and 130 dropouts so I’m sure P-X could do it with the different chainline setup and 135 dropouts! The rear ends of my Tis were absolutely rock solid, no compromises at all. And they were big old gates, remember 😀

crossjunkie
    Free Member

And they were big old gates, remember

I remember 🙂 Take your point about it not being a necessity, though it doesn’t bother me in practice.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

These Columbus Mud-X will be too big for you but could be worth ringing the shop and seeing if they have any smaller in? I race on a 56 seat tube/53.5TT. Light, shoulders really well and very stiff.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Any pics Shedbrewed? How light is it?

sefton
    Free Member

The mud-x hasn’t got the mud clearance the x-wing has at the back of the BB. in fact I remember thinking it didn’t have good clearance.

I haven’t rode one but I have had a good luck at one.

IMO CX racing is all about the details. get all the tiny gains and collectively you have a good advantage.

you looked at the focus bikes? they look good but no frame only.

2tyred

plus one – is that an eccentric hub or BB you’ve got there? Lovely bike!

I race on a SS Surly crosscheck (campag-style dropouts so easy to SS) but would love something lighter. Never considered anything carbon.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

trickydisco – Member

Any pics Shedbrewed? How light is it?

Notice the clag build up around the brakes; I was using TRP mini-vees last year and will probably go to Cantis this year, at least on the back. Sefton, I didn’t have a problem with mud around the BB, it was at the brakes and I think due to the mini-vees.

Weight, figures of ca.1500g frame and 500g fork from memory.

sefton
    Free Member

yep I ditched the mini v’s – they are terrible for collecting mud. deep brake blocks can push them out wider but still no where near as good as canti’s for clearance. the trp revox look like a halfway house.

build up behind the BB doest effect the bike as much as build up on the front (I bet it was hard to turn your wheels with all that build up)

trickydisco
    Free Member

What does everyone think of Moda? Are they still producing cross bikes?

A mate in the club lent me this to race yonks about and i loved it

I realise now it also has a 53.5 top tube (54 seat tube) similar to the ridley. I think with my crosslight I feel a little stretched (55.1 ETT) and more on top of the bike than in it

mrblobby
    Free Member

Hadn’t considered Moda. The Calore looks good. Shame there isn’t a frame only deal.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

sefton – Member
    build up behind the BB doest effect the bike as much as build up on the front (I bet it was hard to turn your wheels with all that build up)

I’ll have a look at the revox, cheers.
    To be honest with you that was my first race back after a bad car crash (3 cracked ribs and hairline crack at top of pelvis) and I just had to get a finish for league points. The course was so wet and boggy in places it was quicker to run/hobble. Most of the courses were better drained and faster. /thread drift

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

i currently have 2 specialized Crux with revox brakes. i didn’t race/ride at all last year due to an injury but i love mine. just been on it today (ok on the rollers) and was happy!

just don’t buy a norco! they are some slack angles. like riding a lowrider

mrblobby
    Free Member

Carbon crux or the alu one? What’s it like in the mud?

plus-one

2tyred

I run a beer components eccentric bb(bb30) fitment .. When I realised no one was going to make a carbon slot dropout frame for cx this was a good option 🙂

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

alu,

yeah its fine loads of room. between my mates we own 7. there no frills race frames. can’t fault them at all. i have drilled my frame and run full length cables (linear brake outers) just sorting tubs out at the moment. getting my file treads ready for summer series

trickydisco
    Free Member

Anyone ridden the van dessel Gin and trombones? Looks a great frameset. Can run disc or canti with full cable outers. Notice it’s got a 70mm BB drop!!

am i right in thinking a 1 degree steeper seat tube angle should shorten the top tube?

LS
    Free Member

No, the opposite. You have to move the saddle back to get it in the same place behind the BB. So the reach is longer on a steeper-angled STA bike versus a slacker one with the same TT.

sefton
    Free Member

I’ve read good things about the Gin and Trombone.

light, good clearance, can take discs on the rear (front will need a disc fork)

probably cheap as a new model (aloominator)has replaced the G&T

The Bearded man has some 54’s in stock too.

however the BB30 put me off as I’d have to buy x2 new chainsets.

I think the Kinesis evo 5 sounds better though. these are also cheap at the mo as they have been discontinued too.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Can somone please tell me how different the van dessel might feel to a kinesis crosslight in geometry terms.

Really i’m after something that doesn’t feel larger than a 55 top tube,

kinesis has a 55.1 ETT 54 ST 71.5 Head angle and 73 seat angle (125 head tube)

the 54 van dessel has a 72 head angle and a 74 seat angle with a 54.5 top tube (140 head tube)

sefton
    Free Member

how many spacers under your stem do you currently have (if any) as the head tube has the biggest difference.

the TT and head angle are almost identical (5mm) the seat angle will put you slightly more forward – just slide saddle back more to get same position.

van dessel could be slightly more aggressive putting you in more of forward position

The van dessel has a more compact frame the kinesis looks like its got more of a horizontal TT

fluxhutchinson
    Free Member

Plus one, That looks great how much was the frame and fork? How long did it take to come? Same questions for the BB. Have to say seriously tempted by one of those now

Just looks fun.

trickydisco
    Free Member

I’ve ridden it both slammed and now raised it further up (2 spacers)

the 54 van dessel sounds a great handling bike

plus-one

$399 frame/fork
    $99 shipping

Around 3 weeks to me .. Luckily no customs charge(pot luck)

Check contacts on speeder cycling I dealt with Tracy she was very helpful and prompt
    With any queries ..

Paid via paypal invoice(you cover fees)

Still worked out cheap as frame is really well put together ..

bb30 running beer components eccentric(works really well)

trickydisco
    Free Member

Looks good plusone. How does it ride? what’s the bb drop?

plus-one

Fast-Direct-Stiff-Light… Rides very well I have built this for speed and boy it’s quick 🙂

My position on bike feels sweet and I’ve set up contact points near as dammit to my genesis ..

I was expecting a decent frame set for the money what I never expected was the high quality finish and the
    Attention to detail with the neat cable routing guides for brakes ..

Not a clue on bb drop ? Maybe it’s on geometry chart on speeder cycling ?

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

This threads got me thinking about a new frame too, damn it!

Trek Boone @ 1750, a lot of money
    Ridley X-Night, see above
    Ridley X-Fire, hmm tempting
    Specialized, can’t get passed the colours, sorry
    Kinesis, disk only?
    Alan?

That Van Dessal looks cool, UK supplier Bearded Man, only listing 54 though and VD’s web site is down for maintenance, other options for them?

Oh missed off the Ritchey Swiss Cross, hmmm lovely looking

trickydisco
    Free Member

Ridley X-Night, see above
    Ridley X-Fire, hmm tempting

Wierd that the geometry is different between the 2

have u seen these?

Ridley X-Night Cyclocross Bikes – Ex Telenet Fidea Team

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 114 total)

The topic ‘Which cyclocross bike (or frame) for racing’ is closed to new replies.