• This topic has 20 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Which credit card for reasonably high spender (£5k/mth)… small business use..
  • DrP

The wife’s business (aesthetics – Botox/filler etc) buys about £5k worth of stock a month – at the moment it’s just on a Barclaycard with no benefits..
    All is paid off at the end of the month.

We realise we should hunt about for the best card to get ‘something’ back – airmiles etc

What would STW suggest?

Amex offers air miles, but we’d need a Curve card too as the supplier won’t take Amex!
    Any others to look out for??

Ta muchly!

DrP

pdw
    Free Member

I’ve got a 1% cash back Amex card, and just got an ad for a 0.5% Santander one.

If you’re buying a lot from the same supplier, have you discussed other payment options with a discount? They’ll be paying a fair bit in CC fees.

prawny

We spend a grand a month+ on a tesco clubcard credit card, not the most exciting of benefits, but we get the Radio Times (for some reason) and get to go to on a few family outings a year for free which is nice.

nickjb
    Free Member

We use Tesco clubcard. Use the points for channel tunnel tickets and Evans purchases. They did drop the return recently though.

scaled
    Free Member

WE use tesco clubcard as well – Evans vouches ftw

tlr

John Lewis card gives you 1% back in vouchers for Waitrose and John Lewis.

Even Amex only pays 1% now.

Air miles cards are the best return, but air miles have become a bit of a ball ache to use nor, so we take the ‘cash’ instead.

scotroutes

Tesco for everything.
    Evans vouchers…..

johndoh
    Free Member

Another Tesco card holder here too. I was with Capital One until they stopped doing the very handy cashback which was paid in January and pretty much covered Christmas 🙁

antennae
    Free Member

Lloyds Avios dual Amex/Mastercard (you get two cards on the same account). Use the Amex when you can, get more points. Fly to the mountains for free. Business class upgrade voucher when you spend £7k in a year.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

How about a card from IHG hotels? With that spend per month, you should be able to rack up some nice hotel bookings.

RichPenny
    Free Member

0% interest card with a high limit, bang it up to the limit and open some good savings accounts?

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

1% cash back on all purchases £30 per year fee??? Santander.

Jamie
    Free Member

Tesco for the club card points.

4x on dining always handy.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Another Tesco clubcarder here. Had money off holiday cottages most recently which has worked as a real good saving.

PePPeR

Tesco credit card here too, and fulling up with fuel and using it as a club card gives you double the points compared to a normal club card.

geoffj

Whatever you decide on, be careful with the rewards. Cash back would obviously go back into the business, but points/vouchers could/should be taxable benefits if used personally.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If you fly as well, a BA Amex is good.

The Avioses/Avii? can be put towards flights, upgrades and beer/wine, too!

Used to have one in a previous job. All expenses went on it, flights, hotels, meals, everything. Racked up a massive amount of Avioses/Avii. Enough for a couple of nice holidays in the Caribbean, even enough for my then 8 month old daughter to fly business! 8)

wallop

Avios ftw! I have a Lloyds Duo Amex/mastecard jobby.

bramblesummer
    Free Member

Steady shift to working from a debit account with supplier credit account. I.e. setup a £5k credit account with supplier and then run your accounts in the Black all the time. Not best practice to use a main supplier on a credit card, might as well run a totally solvent buisness

zippykona

Does the supplier take PayPal?
    Link an amex to the PayPal account and get the points that way.

DrP

Steady shift to working from a debit account with supplier credit account. I.e. setup a £5k credit account with supplier and then run your accounts in the Black all the time. Not best practice to use a main supplier on a credit card, might as well run a totally solvent buisness

It’s not that sort of industry…
    WE’re not borrowing ‘per se’ to buy stock – the funds to cover are there..anyway… was just looking for the best card..
    I think Amex and curve card is the way forward…

DrP

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Which credit card for reasonably high spender (£5k/mth)… small business use..’ is closed to new replies.