Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • which country you like to live in?
  • jon1973
    Free Member

..assuming no language barriers, and economic issues aside, if you could choose a country, other than the one you live in, where would you like to live, and why would you like to live there?

I kind of love the idea of Mediterranean Europe. Somewhere where you spend most of your time living outdoors, and a bit of a slower lifestyle. Italy appeals to me for some reason.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

England, with second home in Scotland. Then New Zealand. Then France, followed by Canada.
    Italy would be nice if it wasn’t so corrupted (according to several of my Italian colleagues).

butcher

It’s cliche, but I’d like to live somewhere warmer. Like you say, somewhere where people spend a lot of time outdoors. Where the culture is that little bit more relaxed. Climate has a big effect on culture and lifestyle. Not sure exactly where but I could do Italy.

johndoh
    Free Member

Greece

Kryton57

Barbados. Not a Cowell-esque lifestyle but running a small rum shop and enjoying the sun, simple style.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Barrow Island

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Scotland, with holiday homes in England, Spain & Canada.

I have an affinity with Scotland, love the ruggedness & couldn’t care about the weather (it adds to the charm) I’m English so somewhere in the North would be nice for family ties. Spain for ease of access to somewhere warm (with good food) Canada…just because.

CountZero

Other than West of England, then possibly Shetland or the inner Hebrides, Oregon, or maybe Eire.

hh45
    Free Member

France pretty much has it all but whether it will fare well over the next 50 years is debatable.

If I was 20 I would be looking at Canada or Australia I think. More vibrant economies and fear that UK / Europe is wrecked for good.

SaxonRider

First choice? Germany, either very close to Aachen, or in the North East, close enough to Berlin, but more up Mecklenburg way.

If I could, I would also have a another home back in my native Canada. Somewhere around Montreal, or more specifically the Eastern Townships.

wallop

France. Great skiing, mountain biking, wine, cheese and supermarkets. Oh, and it’s close to both Spain and Italy.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

economic issues aside I would live on a moderately sized yacht mostly spending my time island hopping around the med.

Something like this

brooess
    Free Member

I like the idea of following the summer round the world. So May-Sept in UK, then off somewhere sunny – Oz/California? for Oct-Apr…

banks
    Free Member

Tbh, still Marple just me own place with land – preferably steep. But plenty of holidays

scotroutes

The one I’m in – or I’d move.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Canada or Australia. But more realisticly I’m happy in this country apart from the scrubbers that plague the town centre with 5 kids in tow, the weather’s crap and the roads are worse than roads in Eastern Europe. I’d like to have a holiday home in Rhodes tho. Relaxing way of life, beautiful summers, very friendly locals, a couple I keep in contact with year round. And some amazing roads for riding motorbikes on.

I feel so much more relaxed and safer riding/driving in Rhodes than even my small town Darwen.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Currently in Tasmania Australia and going fine.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Probably Nepal.

yunki
    Free Member

I’ve got limited experience but again, the Mediterranean is very appealing..

Greece, or maybe Portugal

piemonster

France, in part because it has everything I like. In part because I can fly back easily to visit family.

Just to compromise, somewhere very near the Italian border.

singletrackmind

Met a guy yesturday who lives on a 40ft ketch in the caribean for most of the year ,
    Rents out a house and a flat him + Gf own , mid 40’s with grown up kids.
    sounded idylic , wi-fi from cafe on beach , PVC power and a wind turbine 200AH battery pack.Buys in 5ltr bottled drinking water though.
    I could handle some of that.

Otherwise South of France , Montpellier area probably . Not too hot in summer, near enough to ski and the med . Although Santander and surrounding area if I had £ to retire on .

samuri
    Free Member

If all the English people left, England.

shermer75
    Free Member

If all the English people left, England.

😀 😀

ononeorange

Most days anywhere but the UK (except Scotland of course).

ianv
    Free Member

Winter house in the var. Summer house, ordino in Andorra.

mt
    Free Member

Yorkshire, gods country (any god you choose).

molgrips
    Free Member

Finland.

epicyclo

Only a free country.

No country is free unless it has open access to the outdoors.

So that’s Scotland and some of the Scandanavian countries – any others?

Edit: I could handle Yorkshire though – that’s a country isn’t it? 🙂

dknwhy

Either Spain or Germany for me but mountainous regions…….

Sancho
    Free Member

Im a Yorkshire man, so that’s always first, but love living in Spain, the way of life is amazing, and Madrid has surprised me with some stunning biking.

Mikkel
    Free Member

North of Norway.

Moses

Language and economics aside?
    Assuming I had enough money and plenty of friends there, then southern France, possibly the Roanne. Or the Caribbean for the warmth & water sports.
    DEfinitely not Scotland!

gordimhor

Canada for me especially the east coast

mogrim

Madrid has surprised me with some stunning biking.

Good innit?

Main thing is money and a stress-free job. I’d quite like a villa somewhere north of Barcelona, Girona area – near the Pyrenees, nice weather in summer, etc. Though where I live outside Madrid isn’t bad.

_tom_
    Free Member

Canada, New Zealand or Spain probably. Got a couple of mates with a bar out in Tenerife so it’d be very tempting to move out there if they have any work come up 🙂

Mackem

Havent been yet, but California looks like it would be a good place to live. (assuming I can get over the language problems)

Sancho
    Free Member

if youre living in California then Id recommend San Francisco, the Cow Hollow area near the Presidio, or Id like to live in Tahoe, that place is nice.

ski
    Free Member

If I could have a home with a garden and view, then Hong Kong, friendly locals, great food and some amazing trails 😉

Edukator
    Free Member

There are places I’d like to live for a year or so. Not yet though as junior is in his exam years. Germany and Quebec appeal. If they really appealed I’d already be there.

A friend looked into living in the US and realised that health care insurance costs would drive him back to Europe sooner or later.

If you move to France then Montpellier is one of the last places I’d suggest. People from Seine-Saint-Denis dream of moving there and many do. It’s also cold and windy in Winter and hot and mosquito infested in Summer.

_tom_
    Free Member

Colorado would be great as well.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘which country you like to live in?’ is closed to new replies.