Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Which commencal meta frame?
  • arkeye
    Free Member

Ok went to bike park Wales at the weekend and it was immense! However I think I was pushing my poor little stumpjumper too hard so think its now time for an upgrade, something i can build myself over the next 6 months and customise how I want it.

I hear great things about the commencal meta with two of my friends having the meta 6 and raving about it.

Looking online I was tempted my the VIP meta AM but want advice on which would be right for me? I want something that is rideable uphill but want it more geared up to being a downhill beast!!

raisinhat
    Free Member

Isn’t there only one meta AM? Be aware, that’s the 2013 frame, and it’s being replaced by the 2014 meta SX. The other meta frames are either for 29″ wheels, or the short 120mm travel frame.

arkeye
    Free Member

Yeah I don’t want the short travel, so the 2014 frame will be the one to go for? Or is it worth buying the 2013 and take advantage of the discount?

I don’t really want to go down the 29″ route

JohnnyPanic

Isn’t there only one meta AM? Be aware, that’s the 2013 frame, and it’s being replaced by the 2014 meta SX. The other meta frames are either for 29″ wheels, or the short 120mm travel frame.

Not quite true afaik.
    The 2013 Meta AM can be had in 26″ or 29″, the 2014 Meta AM is 650b.
    Meta SX’s are 26″

The AM is (you might guess) all mountain. 150mm travel & does everything well.

The SX is 160mm, more DH orientated without being a DH bike. The full bike SX’s come with a 1 x 10 so that tells you what they’re aimed at. I believe they climb OK though.

Either will be fine for BPW though if you’re looking purely for an uplift bike maybe the SX then?

I don’t have one (have a Meta 55) but been looking to change myself.
    Some 2013 ones around at decent prices at the moment.

arkeye
    Free Member

Hmmmm the SX is sounding tempting but like you are saying either will be ok. Right ill have a think. I plan on traveling about the UK next year going to various bike parks, I do often go to swinley so maybe the AM might be better suited – decisions!! Thanks for the advice

doug_basqueMTB.com

Rode the SX in 2013, I liked it a lot but didnt get a proper test as it was specced with single ply tyres that weren’t enough trousers for the SX’s mouth. It reminded me of my GSpot in a few ways. It will pedal uphill but you need legs! My GSpot takes me anywhere I want to go but if I didn’t have the huge luxury of riding most days and needed a bike for ups and downs then I would choose the AM over the SX. Just watch out for what wheels are specced, I think decent wheels will be important, especially for a 27.5 bike. That’s based on my long term test of the Meta 29, which was an awesome bike but needed better wheels to take advantage of it.

arkeye
    Free Member

I don’t get chance to go as regular as I like, maybe 2 weekend rides a month. The AM does seem to be the one for me thinking about it now with what you’ve said doug

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Which commencal meta frame?’ is closed to new replies.