Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Which coffee press travel mug?
  • MaryHinge
    Free Member

Since getting an espresso machine I’ve gone right off instant coffee. Not normally snobbish but clearly my tastes have changed.

When I have to go to an office to work I’d like a decent coffee. I’ve seen those coffee press travel mug type things, but which one do I go for?

I like a sugar in my brew so need one that I can remove the plunger to add sugar.

Any experiences or recommendations?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Can you not just take a cafetiere to work ? Thats all i do.

Although i have a bodum travel press cup for on the move , great at coffee , shit at fitting in most cup holders.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I use an aeropress in the office. Much easier clean up than a cafetiere.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MaryHinge
    Free Member

I break cafetieres! I figured that a travel press type thing would be a bit tougher.

I could use one and take a mug to por it into, but would like a one hit unit.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Seriously – try Carte Noir Expresso before you bin instant altogether.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Hammyuk – will give that a try but I fear I might have become a lost cause

monkeyninja
    Free Member

Aeropress user here they are great for quick coffee… need to have a cup to use it with though.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I’m a lost cause too. Only instant I vaguely like is the Starbucks one but it’s chuffing expensive and still not as nice! Mate had one of these at the weekend which I plan to order:

http://www.hartsofstur.com/acatalog/Bodum-Stainless-Steel-Travel-Press-Set-Lime-Green-K11067565.html?gclid=CPbZqtCN98oCFasV0wodYxUBCA

trail_rat
    Free Member

You can get a stainless cafetiere.

I wouldnt bother with that carte noire pish- its a waste of good hot water imo. Bit stronger than lther instan but still tasted pish.

hammyuk
    Free Member

I have a Classic here – its barely ever switched off.
    However the Expresso one they do is totally different to normal instant – it doesn’t make a nice coffee with milk in.
    Its made to be an expresso – nice and strong, slightly bitter and black.
    2 for £5 in Asda recently.

trail_rat
    Free Member

If you like expresso i guess it might be ok.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Makes a cracking Cortado Condensada too.
    Gold Blend and the like have a lot to answer for skewing the taste of instant against proper coffee

Cougar

I like a sugar in my brew so need one that I can remove the plunger to add sugar.

Why? You know it dissolves, right?

Smart Café mug is what you want. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zyliss-Cafetiere-Hot-Mug-Red/dp/B00DB4JY72

MaryHinge
    Free Member

With those Bodum ones though, presumably you can’t add a sugar after you’ve pressed?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Coffee in , water in , sugar in , lid on , rest up and plunge.

No idea if it works , dont do sugar in my coffee.

Nothing to stop you taking the lid off and the plunger out after plunging and adding suger before putting it back and putting plunger down again .

fingerbike
    Free Member

Take an Aeropress in and use with a KeepCup, easy to use/clean and makes lovely coffee.
    Beans from Extract in Bristol: http://shop.extractcoffee.co.uk/

redben

I bought this mug a couple of years ago and think its top banana

http://shop.gamilacompany.com/impress/features/

mattyfez

Carte noir wholebean instant is pretty good to be fair.. I use that now, it’s not quite as good as fresh ground cafetiere, but it means I don’t have to faff about with a grinder and cafetiere, so it’s what I drink these days.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

How do you Aeropress users find it? Mine seem to be a bit hit and miss and often end up too bitter. Have tried various methods but never quite got it right!

somafunk

You can add sugar afterwards in the bodum, i have one and if you get the ground right (and don’t use an espresso bean) it makes pretty decent coffee (as do all cafetieres)

RichPenny
    Free Member

I use a Sowden at work. It’s basically a ceramic coffee pot with a fine mesh filter inside to stop the coffee grounds making it into the cup. The thing is pretty foolproof, for example I frequently forget that it’s brewing and an hour later the result is still fantastic. I also don’t need to worry about grinding coarser than my espresso machine needs – I use the same with no issues.

crankboy
    Free Member

I have a GSI outdoors I would not recommended it but once you get the hand of it it works . basically a plastic mug with a plastic internal sleave with a filter mesh at the bottom and a sippy cup lid . pur coffee grounds in mug add hot water wait insert and push down filter sleave . pour or add milk sugar and drink .
    The reason I don’t reccomend it is too much inappropriate pressure makes coffee escape between the sleave to mug seal and come what may it dribbles .
    I still used it daily for over a year and always take it camping though.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

This looks the business

http://stanley-pmi.com/store/stanley/en_US/pd/ThemeID.39334800/productID.324175500

Doesn’t come with a mug but it’s approx 30 quid on Amazon.

jamj1974

A couple of brilliant ideas that I too will follow up.

budgierider67

I use the Bodum one for work. It’s excellent and keeps the coffee hot for a few hours if need be. Works fine with sugar in before pressing. Easy to clean too and very robust.

sbob
    Free Member

Any experiences or recommendations?

Have a pint you horrendous fairy.
    😀

TooTall
    Free Member

Aeropress. A very good, easy to use and clean and maintain piece of coffee kit. Even achingly cool hipster coffee places are using them now.

Disclaimer. I’ve been taken to such establishments by hip friends in the know. I’m just a coffee snob.

Bez

I’ve had a Smart Café mug for probably 15 years now; use it all the time at home and it always goes on holiday with me. It’s great.

Gotama
    Free Member

Another aeropress user. Brilliant thing although you might also need your own cup depending on how big your work ones are. But then that just adds to the coffee snob image so its all good 😀

Rubber_Buccaneer

How do you Aeropress users find it? Mine seem to be a bit hit and miss and often end up too bitter. Have tried various methods but never quite got it right!

Maybe you are putting the water in too hot? There isn’t really any technique involved, no more than a cafetiere. How many variations on coffee in, water in and squish can you manage? If you are pouring the water straight from a boiling kettle you may get some bitterness

metcalt

Although i have a bodum travel press cup for on the move , great at coffee , shit at fitting in most cup holders.

They do however, fit perfectly in the bottle cages I’ve used 🙂

youngrob

+1 for aeropress and a keep cup. I’ve got a bodum plunger cup but it’s too much hassle so I never use it,I used to find that the grounds would sneak past the rubber seal no matter how gently I plunged.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

GSI press and mug. Not the cheapest, but I like it ande never had any problems with it. Have a aeropress as well but I prefer the GSI press. Different coffees don’t taste very different from Aeropress, GSI press coffees all have much more subtle flavours.
    GSI is more faff to clean out though

fingerbike
    Free Member

Maybe you are putting the water in too hot? There isn’t really any technique involved, no more than a cafetiere. How many variations on coffee in, water in and squish can you manage? If you are pouring the water straight from a boiling kettle you may get some bitterness

I too found I was getting bitterness at first, then kind of worked out a process: boil kettle, pour a bit of water through paperfilter to get it to seat, let the kettle cool for a few mins before putting in inverted Aeropress, stir for a few seconds, leave for about a minute, press into cup = good coffee everytime. 🙂

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Which coffee press travel mug?’ is closed to new replies.