Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • which coffe machine for under £200
  • sofaking
    Free Member

i know its been done before, but what are your recommendations ?
    thanks in advance

uplink
    Free Member

johnners
    Free Member

Just accept that you can't beat the great taste –

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I think most people here would recommend the Gaggia Classic and also to also buy a burr grinder.

Welcome to your new addiction.

sofaking
    Free Member

good to see the funny folk up nice and early

and i can usually spell coffee 😕

sofaking
    Free Member

😛

wwaswas

got a nespresso machine earlier in the year. marvellous thing and the coffee tastes nice too.

kiwijohn

Sunbeam

Lardy_biker
    Free Member

Rancillio. End.

Get one off ebay that hasnt been ballsed around.

montylikesbeer

coffee clicky

have a look round here, I have a gaggia classic and it just works and works.

Post back if you need for info

juan
    Free Member

It depends if you have hetics or not.
    If you dont the neslte one is good. I you do, malongo or gaggia will get my vote.
    I have a senseo, and once you know how to use it the coffe is actually quite tasty (without being to the level of a proper steam machine).

Got Gaggia Factory 105 lever machine off Ebay £145, just the same as a La Pavoni. Great coffee good steamer & no pump to go wrong.

Great bit of kit, talking of which, time for a brew

Strangelove
    Free Member

I got a Presso Espresso for £70 and a Dualitt burr grinder for £80. After a bit of experimenting i can now make an accepatable espresso with it (when i have the beans).
    It is a bit of a faff though.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I have a Gaggia of some sort that you can have FOC if you collect.

qwerty
    Free Member

got this in cream

treats

Jerome
    Free Member

I bought a Siemens TK50 nespresso.
    Very cheap and proper chuffed.
    J.

teagirl
    Free Member

Bialetti stove top, no gadgets to go wrong and really easy to clean. Use good coffee eg.Illy and it's cost of around £25 means you can buy more bike bits. It's also portable so take it camping etc….

sofaking
    Free Member

thanks for the info people

Hairychested, if only you lived closer, if your serious i would make it worth your while to post it

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Bialetti stove top

But a disappointment if you want to make espressos…

teagirl
    Free Member

Mastlies : You're not making it right, it's the best espresso! It's what it's designed for.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

You're not making it right, it's the best espresso! It's what it's designed for.

But I thought an espresso is created by pushing hot water through the grinds at high pressure? Happy to be proved wrong, but all the coffee shops I have ever seen use pressurised systems, not stove tops, for espressos.

EDIT: If I hear a good argument for one, I might just ask my brother for mine back (although I doubt it could permanently replace my Gaggia)

teagirl
    Free Member

Thats exactly how it operates, forcing water through coffee under pressure into the top pot. It's the quality of coffee too but this (cheap) method's what continentals use. You can make it more authentic by making sucking/spitting sounds if you must.

Strangelove
    Free Member

Teagirl, I used to think the same but a stove top pot makes a Mocha not an Espresso
    An Espresso machine forces very hot water through the grinds at something like 8 bar of pressure which helps to produce the 'crema' or foam which is essential in a good espresso.
    You can make a Mocha and an Espresso from the same beans and the two will taste quite different.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

forcing water through coffee under pressure

What BAR does it produce then? I think the Classic produces around 15 BAR

A traditional lever machine works at far lower pressure than 8 bar, so my understanding is that it "pushes" rather than forces the water through.

Either way, just enjoy it.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Matt, I can check the courier, no problem. If you're willing to cover the cost I'll get talking to them.

sofaking
    Free Member

Hairychested. that would be great, how old is it , i presume it works ok?
    you can mail me at

mattATsofaking.plusDOTcom
    thanks very much

Hairychested
    Free Member

It worked until I took the fuse out. How old? I've had it for a couple of years but it was 2nd hand. Worth a punt I suppose.
    Email me your address if you want it please.
    Kris

joolsburger
    Free Member

Stove top for me. Woks very well and makes Espresso not Mocha which AAFN contains chocolate.

montylikesbeer
    MrSmith
    Free Member

"An Espresso machine forces very hot water through the grinds at something like 8 bar of pressure which helps to produce the 'crema' or foam which is essential in a good espresso."

but the water is often too hot as the temp control is limited, you often get burnt tasting coffee, the coffee from a decent machine (gaggia, pavoni etc) is much more consistent and (IME) tastes better.

if you are using Illy beans/coffee then stick with a stovetop as the coffee is usually past it's best by the time it gets used. u.k based roasters (monmouth, square mile etc) coffee is fresher as it's roasted a few days before delivery. square mile coffee put the roasting dates on the packaging so you know it hasn't sat around in a warehouse/distributors for weeks.

sofaking
    Free Member

cheers Kris, i have sent you an email

mugsys_m8

Mocha has got chocolate in it.

I thought espresso is where the water moves through the beans as a steam and then recondenses as hot brown liquid: hence how the Stove Top Espresso Machine works.

Strangelove
    Free Member

Mocha has got chocolate in it.

You are quite right.
    The stove top pots make Moka.

montylikesbeer

This appears a little clearer

How a Stove-top Espresso Maker Works

The science behind espresso making is concerned with applying a greater amount of pressure, or force on the coffee grounds then normal gravity, in order to extract more of the coffee's flavour. Numerous studies have shown that to achieve that 'god shot' of espresso, coffee grounds need to be subjected to between 130-150psi (9-10 bar) of pressure.

Although stove-top espresso makers operate under a much lower pressure, typically 15psi (1 bar), they still generate enough pressure to make great-tasting espresso style coffee. Recent advancements in stove-top technology, such as that used in the Bialetti Brikka and Mukka Express have increased this amount of pressure to just under 36psi (2.5 bar) for even greater coffee extraction.

toby1

Are we this geeky even about dirty water?

tragically1969
    Free Member

Moka is a stove to coffee maker:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moka_(coffee_pot)

Mocha is a chocolate drink:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cafe_mocha

Frankers
    Free Member

Do a search on ebay for a 2nd hand Gaggia classic, if you want good espresso coffee they are great.

Personally i much prefer fresh ground coffee made in a french press.

teagirl
    Free Member

Well, I think you guys should go riding instead. I've just got back from a great ride round Malham in the murk and cow sh*t and treated myself to a splendid stove top-made espresso, Illy (fresh can) and a piece of homemade flapjack that I posted the recipe of on the forum. Very smug and I've washed my bike to. What is the max bar pressure should I set my hose to? 😉

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘which coffe machine for under £200’ is closed to new replies.