Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Which clutch mech?
  • Kunstler

I’m building a new bike (456 frame) and want to put a thick/thin chainring on (one of the Works Components ones). I’ve been looking for a Shimano clutch mech – these being the ‘shadow +’ mechs, yeah? They don’t seem to do a Deore version.
    Can anyone point towards which one I should go for? Cheers.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Deore Shadow+ mechs are model number RD-M615 like this –

On CRC

Kunstler

Thanks folks. the Deore isn’t much cheaper than XT though I’m a bit put off by the reports of fragility of XT by CRC’s reviewers.

Next question is do I want a long or medium cage. I don’t know what the difference offers.

MSP

Medium cage for single chainring.

honourablegeorge

Normally, you want long for 3×10, medium for 2×10 or short for 1×10 (The Zee and Saint are the only ones coming in short)

Kunstler

It’s going to be a 1×10 setup.

honourablegeorge

Maybe think about the Zee, then. Nice and compact. Early ones (including mine) had some failures, but they seem to be all good now.

theotherjonv

disagree, medium for single chainring if you have a wide ratio 11-36 cassette

Short cage is supposedly good for 27T difference, but I reckon that’s a bit tight particularly if you might eventually go for an aftermarket bigger rear cog like a 40 or 42 that are starting to come available. And given the benefit of a short cage is better tension / reduced chain clatter which is what the clutch does anyway, i don’t really see the benefit.

Kunstler

Ah, okay. This is starting to make sense. It’s going to be 11 – 36.

So, Deore or XT? Is it weight saving vs strength/durability?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Short cage is supposedly good for 27T difference, but I reckon that’s a bit tight particularly if you might eventually go for an aftermarket bigger rear cog like a 40 or 42 that are starting to come available. And given the benefit of a short cage is better tension / reduced chain clatter which is what the clutch does anyway, i don’t really see the benefit.

Arguably saves a few grammes and adds a little extra clearance too, but it’s all a bit meh at the end of the day.

So, Deore or XT? Is it weight saving vs strength/durability?

XT might be quite a bit lighter than the Deore, if previous gen stuff is anything to go by. XT stuff also tends to be durable (often moreso than XTR) but very few mechs will survive a good clout from a rock, and Deore is cheaper to replace.

Depends how you look at it really. 😉

honourablegeorge

theotherjonv – Member
    disagree, medium for single chainring if you have a wide ratio 11-36 cassette

The Zee is specifically designed for 11-36. None of the Shimano Mechs are designed to handle those 40/42t cogs, they’ll all struggle to get far enough forward, so it’ll be a bodge either way.

gonzy
    Free Member

+1 for the medium to short cage if you’re going 1×10…but i’ve read that the Zee mech although very good needs to be used with the correct cassette ratios…they come in either a 23-28t or a 32-36t

or you could go for the SLX one…the one in the link below costs only a few quid more than the one at merlin

http://www.tweekscycles.com/components/mtb-rear-derailleurs/shimano-slx-rd-m675-slx-10-speed-shadow-design-rear-derailleur

bails

Deore is cheaper to replace.

Depends what you replace it with 😉

What about SLX? Is it right in the middle, pricewise? If it was me I’d get a good shifter (XT) and then look at what I had left in the budget. As long as it’s got a clutch I wouldn’t be too worried about the few more grams.

theotherjonv

As long as it’s got a clutch I wouldn’t be too worried about the few more grams.

This. Having had a clutch for a few weeks now, if you offered me a free choice between an XTR non-clutch vs a Deore clutch for the same price, it’d be the clutch every time.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Depends what you replace it with

😆

True dat.

Kunstler

The shifters cost almost as much as the mechs. 😯

It’s a good job CRC have 10% off this weekend.

Yetiman
    Free Member

Try BikeDiscount.de They’re usually a good bit cheaper and it’s only £5 shipping to the UK.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I’d say get the short cage Zee. The smaller the mech you can use the better. It’s not a stretch at all on 11-36.

gonzy
    Free Member

Tweeks are selling the Zee right hand shifter for £22

honourablegeorge

Kunstler – Member
    The shifters cost almost as much as the mechs.

It’s a good job CRC have 10% off this weekend.

Zee shifter about £23 on Rosebikes.com

I’s spend more money on the shifter and dave on the mech, if you can.

atlaz
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a Zee mech and an XT shifter. Reports on whether it all explodes to come

burnie
    Free Member

I’ve been a Zee mech with an 11-36 cassette for a while now and its not exploded yet. Just make sure you get the FR version rather than the DH.

philwarren11
    Free Member

Zee shifter and mech here. 11-36 and 32t up front. Been spot on for a few months.

chrisdw
    Free Member

I have a zee mech and a zee shifter. The shifter is gopping compared to XT, but the mech is great.

Get an XT shifter with the zee mech. I’m running it with 11-36 and its been fine for over a year. *Touches wood*

kimbers

poor Sram

neilforrow

in the info for the saint m820, it notes that the mech can be used with a 11-36t cassette.

Anyone use this set up?

spawnofyorkshire

poor Sram

Sod SRAM, especially the X7 crap that come with my bike.

I’m currently saving up for a Deore 2014 groupset

honourablegeorge

neilforrow – Member

in the info for the saint m820, it notes that the mech can be used with a 11-36t cassette.

Anyone use this set up?

I have the mech, use it on a smaller cassette – comes witha wee chip which you remove to use with a small cassette, or leave on for 11-36. It’s rock solid, would have one on the trail bike too if I hadn’t bought XTR already

spawnofyorkshire

Anyone use this set up?

My bro-in-law does, he likes it. Has a thick-thin chainring up front

neilforrow

Cheers. saint it is then.

Northwind

You have to be slightly careful with Shimano short cages and big cassettes, they’ve got the range to shift around the block, but the short cage gives them pretty limited chain management, so on a very “stretchy” bike it doesn’t work well. I had an 11-34 on my 224 and had to choose between either a very tight chain in the 34, or a saggy one in the 11 (due to chaingrowth from suspension travel) I’ve no idea how common this is mind.

Saint is nice kit though and the price has come well down.

neilforrow

on a solo, so the growth will be nothing like the 224, but thanks for the heads’up tho.

peterfile
    Free Member

Zee mech and Saint shifter is a great combo

fullauto
    Free Member

Zee mech with a deore shifter here. It’s great, no guides up front and nothing ever gets dropped 🙂

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

I’ve just had to warranty my XT mech after only 3 months light use. I noticed there was no difference between clutch on and clutch off, so I popped the plastic cap off (hasn’t opened it up before) and part of the mechanism had snapped off inside. Made from very thin metal and held the force of the whole clutch spring.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Which clutch mech?’ is closed to new replies.