Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Which cheapish computer/hrm/gps thingy for Ironman training?
  • lister

Mrs Lister has entered Ironman Wales next year. I haven’t owned a cycle computer since 1993.
    I suspect(!) that things might have improved since then, is there a clever box of tricks that you can take running and cycling that will track all your body data and routes for sub-£150?
    She does own an iPhone and I guess there are apps, but the battery life is limiting, weather proofing and bike mounts are all expensive so a stand-alone bit of kit wold probably be better, right?

Cheers

hot_fiat

runstasic and their Bluetooth dongle thingy + Topeak ride case with stem mount ~= £70 (or less if you use fleabay). Will happily run all day on a full charge. More if you disable wifi. The cycle app allows you to download offline maps and routes so you also use it as nav. .

gwaelod
    Free Member

Get to dcrainmakers site and start reading his reviews
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/11/winter-gadget-recommendations.html

Mintman
    Free Member

I picked up a Tom Tom multisport with heart rate monitor for a little under £150 at John Lewis and it does everything I need for running, cycling and swimming.

simon_g

Garmin 310XT with HRM is about £122 at Amazon at the moment – there’s a newer high-end triathlon model so it’s discounted now. It’s a little bulky but will do all the tracking stuff absolutely fine, and is waterproof enough to swim with. The watches work OK on the bike – either Garmin will sell you a “mount” or I used to use a cut-down old grip to bulk out the handlebar to wrap it around.

Else you can get a Forerunner 15 or 210 which has a much slimmer profile but shows far less info at once and less functionality – eg. the 310XT can be used to follow a course.

Or if the goal is more bike-focussed then an Edge (probably 500 is in budget). You can get a wrist strap with the twist mount for them, but it’s a bit bulky – or just chuck it in a pocket when you’re running.

tldr: buy a Garmin Forerunner 310XT.

lister

Thanks, we’ll have a look at those.

petrieboy

310xt it the one for you. If it goes anything like my ironman training tho, you’ll be getting a Garmin swim for in the pool (because I can’t count and breath at the same time) and an 800 because I get lost on the long bike sessions.

petrieboy

Ironman wales too! Ouch!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Which cheapish computer/hrm/gps thingy for Ironman training?’ is closed to new replies.