Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Which (Cheap) Power Kite
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Does such a thing exist ?

Just want something to take out on the moor with Jnr FD to keep him amused etc.

Hopefully something that can be a little fun for me too if thats possible?

I got a small power kite from Aldi a couple of years ago that cost about £12 and it was frankly awful.

Cougar

Second-hand?

How old is he? If he’s only a kid, a ‘proper’ power kite will put him in low Earth orbit.

toppers3933
    Free Member

I had one of these and it was fun for about 5 minutes. very quickly got quite boring as no real pull to it. (cheap though)

(edit with correct url) We traded up to one of these which is loads more fun and he (5yrs) can fly it easily on his own. (not so cheap but miles more fun.

We also have a 2.5m flexi rage for when we want dragging down the beach is moderate winds.

2nd hand is a good idea (thats how i got my range) but smaller kites are harder to come by 2nd hand in my experience. As with most things, you get what you pay for. I didn’t mind spending a bit more because i like flying them so even if the lads loses interest ill still use it. Ive nearly come to sell mine a couple of times but know id regret it so end up keeping them.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I can’t remember the model but we picked up a virtually unused Peter Lynn 2.5m kite from Gumtree locally for £30. I’d say don’t bother with a 4 line kite as it was very easy to get to grips with the 2. As for size the Mrs is probably 50kg and I’m over double that, she could control it fine keeping it in quite a small window and I could get some really big power out of it also.

Stoner
    Free Member

Im selling my 2.5m Flexi Rage if anyone’s interested….

but it’s too big for a small boy.

toppers3933
    Free Member

My lad loves flying my rage with me. We sit down and both hold the handles. I have the kite killers on and he knows when to let go. Always a hoot.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I was looking to spend about £30 max.

My son is 5. By him using it I mean is both holding the lines

Looking at eBay and Amazon £30 gets you a company called symphony beach and a kite size of about 1.5m

toppers3933
    Free Member

See the first line of my first post. The HQ Symphony is ok but a bit dull for you. Your lad will like it well enough though. in my experience unless your lad is tiny he will cope perfectly well on his own assuming you don’t take him out in real high winds.

pealy
    Free Member

I got and Anubis one when it was £20 and was surprised how good it was.

At 2.85m it would be way too powerful for a 5 yr old so I think you’re looking at the right sort of size.

THIS

simon_g

I have the smaller HQ Symphony Beach and it’s good for really blowy days, or to let other people have a first go, because it doesn’t pull that much. Still a lot of fun, 2 lines keeps it simpler too.

Also have a Flexifoil Sting 2.4m, that’s also easy to fly but does get a handful in anything but light winds – will happily drag a 15st bloke along the beach when it gets windier.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Which (Cheap) Power Kite’ is closed to new replies.