Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Which cheap-but-decent over-ear headphones?
  • Northwind

I’ve got a set of Sennheiser HD201s which seem good to me but I used them on the turbo too often and now they smell funny… I’m just looking for a second set, mostly for TV use. Is there anything else in the same sort of sub-£40, over ear, insulating but not neccesarily noise-cancelling, wireless would be nice but not paying much for it, way?

Directional wireless obviously, as I am audiofool.

ninfan
    Free Member

Got my daughter some August 650 Bluetooth for about 32 quid to use with the iPad , very impressed for the money

stumpytrek
    Free Member

Maplin do some good ones for circa £20

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Slightly above budget but at got some bluetooth Sony headphones from Argos a few weeks back reduced from £100 to £50.

NOW ONLY £45

lambchop
    Free Member

Superlux HD662 are superb.

Northwind

Cheers folks

This is a genuinely ignorant question… I’ll be using them mostly with a TV rather than PC, so with a bluetooth set, does it come with a transmitter or something or is it expecting the hardware to be bluetooth compatible? I had a look at the Sony phones there and couldn’t tell.

geoffj

is it expecting the hardware to be bluetooth compatible?

Yes, but you can buy a bluetooth audio receiver for less than a tenner, for kit that doesn’t have native bluetooth.

Like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/August-MR220B-Bluetooth-Receiver-Systems-Black/dp/B00B4XCHEY/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1415114124&sr=8-6&keywords=Bluetooth+audio+adapter

cloudnine
    Free Member

Picked up some Takstar pro 80 direct from China for £40.. Very similar to beyerdynamic but you will be pushed to find a better set for £40.

MrWoppit
    Free Member
    Northwind

After a bit of googling around, decided to try the AKGs as I had some amazon credit to spend- if they’re not great, Woppit’s getting it. Cheers folks!

neilforrow

Also following on from this, I wanted to get another set of headphones for the pc at work and also went for the AKG K99. They are spot on, good overall balanced sound if a little bass heavy. Well worth the money tho. +1 from me.

Northwind

I’ve got tin ears from too much heavy metal and motorbikes so I can only tell if stuff’s outright bad, and pleased to say the AKGs are not that- possibly a bit more balanced than the Sennheisers in fact but then that might just be a bit of personal taste.

The comfort’s definitely ace though, they just fall onto my head perfectly, lovely. Very happy

eltonerino
    Free Member

A bit late to the party, but I like my Superlux HD668B,

DrJ

Absolute recommendation.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AKG-K99-Semi-Open-Circumaural-Headphones/dp/B001GF7WRW

Interested. But can other people hear your music when you’re wearing them?

neilforrow

DrJ – Member

Absolute recommendation.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AKG-K99-Semi-Open-Circumaural-Headphones/dp/B001GF7WRW

Interested. But can other people hear your music when you’re wearing them?

Yes, closed back / noise canceling they are not! Not loads of noise leakage, but others can hear what you are listening too.

DrJ

OK – thanks. Given how much other peoples leaky headphones annoy me, I’ll not be a hypocrite 🙂

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Going to recommend these RHA because I use them and like them lot, and before these I used Creative Aurvana Live which were more expensive at the time (£100 vs £50), I liked those more but not by a lot and they were heavy things.. These RHA are very nearly comparable for general use.

Review here

If I was spending another 30 I’d have the Grado SR60e

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Which cheap-but-decent over-ear headphones?’ is closed to new replies.