Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Which chain guide, external BB
  • lee170
    Free Member

I have an on-one inbred with a 1×9 set up, I have only owned it a few weeks and have been using it for commuting. I am now planning to use it on the trails to.
    Currently running a 1×9 set up, 34t up front and a 9 speed road cassette at the back.
    I have been looking at chain guides but alot mention the ISCG, I have a external shimano BB with deore hollow tech 2 crank arms. I can’t see anywhere to mount a guide.
    Can someone please advise me as I don’t know much when it comes to chain guides!!

Thanks

mikewsmith
    Free Member

e-13 ones have an option for a mounting plate behind the BB cup. Others will do best to check before buying for the exact model.

transporter13
    Free Member

Unless you are constantly having your chain fall off due to rough trails then a bb mounted top guide from superstar or e13 would be fine. I don’t have any problems with mine.
    If you need a full guide on a budget, a bb adapter and an e13 ls1 is good value for money

Cheezpleez

A BB mounted guide sits between an external BB cup and the frame, replacing a spacer.

I have a Superstar one that I’m about to take off my bike and sell. It’s three rides old and in good nick with just a few scratches inside the cage. My email’s in my profile if you’re interested.

takisawa2

Dupestar XCR guide.
    On an Inbred.
    Works a treat.

IMAG0525 by pten2106, on Flickr

lee170
    Free Member

takisawa2,
    How does that guide mount on?

andypandy85
    Free Member

I have the E13 LG1 Trail chain guide on my 1×9 hardtail, BB mount so just replaces one of the spacers on your BB, took minutes to fit and works a treat. Fairly expensive to buy new, but fish about on eBay/classifieds and you’ll pick one up for about £45.

takisawa2

IMAG0520 by pten2106, on Flickr

Mounts behind the bottom bracket cup, then you just rotate till it’s clear of the chain at lowest chain line. Superstar supply shims to space it inwards of the cup but every time I’ve fitted one they need spacing outwards of the cup, so I’ve tried packing with a few washers. Works ok but you want to know the best method…just bend it slightly.!!!
    Sounds a faff but once in place they work really well.

They do a seat tube mounted one that’s even easier to line up.

Northwind

FWIW the MRP 1X I have now is a bit better than the Superstar I used before- easier to set up in the first place but also just controls the chain a little bit better. The SS one does the job pretty well though and is cheaper.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Which chain guide, external BB’ is closed to new replies.