Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • which Cervelo frame?
  • turneround

Ive got the opportunity to get a cervelo at a very reasonable price and im just wondering what frame out of the many they do (excluding the TT options) is the most robust and durable as this will be a one off purchase?

snakebite
    Free Member

Ny neighbor has the R3 and R3SL, about 400 quid difference and 120 gram mes IIRC…. he’s had loads of top end frames but reckons these are superb.

iamtheresurrection

Check out the Cervelo forums if you’re thinking of running Campag 11 – there are some compatability issues which Cervelo won’t cover if it goes wrong (clearance issues around the bottom bracket which differs between each frame due to build tolerances).

I think the RS is a bit of a killer frame – I like the idea of a longer headtube but less spacers…

parisroubaix

Another consideration is that their geometry is quite unusual- make sure you sit on one first to get the correct size. Some of the models also have toe overlap because of the geometry, which can cause problems cornering at lower speeds.
    I wouldn’t worry about robustness as they won paris-roubaix in 2006-2007 with frames with their pencil thin stays at the back, that were not special builds.

Ed2001
    Free Member

The bargin of cervelo range has got be the S1 they have been making it for years , it used to be the soloist team.Its probably one of the very best aluminium frames being made today. With decent groupset it will build to a very light, stiff bike which I regularly see at races. If you have plenty of cash and you want a more relaxed ride, aimed at sportive type rider, go for R3.Cervelo make incredibly good frames, which are very highly thought of, they are up there with the best; colnago, pinarello, look,time etc.

Joxster
    Free Member

Designed in Canada, built in China. I’m not keen on the forks that’s where they’ve shaved off the weight.

oldgit
    Free Member

Ed2001 I agree, it’s a quality frame but a lot of people get blinded by the carbon factor. It’s popular around here on the amateur race scene.

MTT
    Free Member

If you want a cervelo then buy an R3, IMHO the addict is a better frame with better geometry and available for about £1200 if you go for a 2008, plenty about. £700 saved could be put into some hand-builts.

Ed2001
    Free Member

built in China

along with most manfacturers who now build some or all of their frames in the far east. IMO this, it comes from europe so it must be good, its built in the far east so it must be inferior quality, xenophobic nonesense. Having said that I do believe their was a recall on some of the forks recently.

The-Beard

I’ve got a Team Soloist, which is a cracking bike for the money. It is so stiff, it’s like a rocket ship. Always accelerating! Not uncomfortable either. Very lively bike though, took some getting used to. I’d recommend it for the money. If you have more cash though, the R3 is absolutely superb. Make sure you get the 3T fork too, they’re awesome!

schmiken

All the Cervelos are absolutely great, it really just depends what you want it for. The R3 and R3SL are the lightest bikes, the RS is the comfiest, The S1, 2, and 3 are the fastest and most aerodynamic.

Personally I’d go for the R3 every single time!

GW
    Free Member

Rachel Atherton’s – only done 5 miles, 1 careful lady owner 😉

Joxster
    Free Member

RE: The forks. They use a thin carbon steerer to get the weight down and then you glue in an alloy sleeve to give it some strength.

They always advertise the frames as Canadian. I don’t have problems where products are manufactured as long as the manufactures state that. It’s like Pinarello, Bianchi and Colnago using the misleading “finished in Italy” instead of “built in Asian sweatshop”

GW
    Free Member

you glue the forks together yourself? 😮

‘spose it’ll get them out of any liability claims? 😆

Joxster
    Free Member

you glue the forks together yourself? [:o]

‘spose it’ll get them out of any liability claims? [:lol:]

Yup, you cut the steerer to size and then araldite in the sleeve and then bang in a star fangled nut.

showerman
    Free Member

not coming from the darkside one road bike looks very much like another then today in the lbs they have one of these top draw cervelos in white under 12 pound with an £8000 price tag 😯 it has got me thinking about talking to the bank manager

turneround

not ever being destined to dope me blood or have 2 georgeous french chicks stand next to me whilst i hold up a bunch of flowers, its basically comfort and ‘do it all’ id like from the frame.

Currently running a De Rosa which is the buisness but its getting a little old in the tooth and needs an upgrade….seems like the R3 maybe a goer….

shoefiti
    Free Member

i’ve an R3 sl – which is a very very nice bike – basically the same as the R3 but a little lighter with a 27.2mm seat post instead of the 31.8 (i think?!?) on the standard R3. If i were to be buying one for say sportives or training i’d get the RS – a bit less racy.

mingsta
    Free Member

They always advertise the frames as Canadian. I don’t have problems where products are manufactured as long as the manufactures state that. It’s like Pinarello, Bianchi and Colnago using the misleading “finished in Italy” instead of “built in Asian sweatshop”

Taiwan has some of the best CF frame manufacturing facilities in the world, but don’t let that stop you from reeling out yor pig ignorant cliches about chinese sweatshops.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘which Cervelo frame?’ is closed to new replies.