Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Which cassettes are OK to use with Hope Hubs?
  • CrispyCSW

I need to get a new cassette & chain, was just about to fit a spare I had knocking around but remembered that you shouldn't use some with a hope hub.

I think they need an alu carrier, but can an SLX cassette be used (has an alu carrier for 1st three cogs, vs first 6 for the XT?)

Can any SRAM ones be used? (can't see if they have an alu carrier or not) & if so which ones.

I've had a look on the hope site & can't see any advice there, and they are not answering the phone to ask directly.

I'm not too fussy about weight as it's for my play HT.

Cheers

Crispy

BeveledEdge
    Free Member

On the box for the hubs it recomends XT or XTR, if thats any help. Generally, the more cogs on the carrier, the better.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

IIRC SRAM don't have enough sprockets on the carrier to be prevent gouging the freehub body. As said, XT or XTR are the best, although you could always change to a steel freehub body which will allow you to use whatever you fancy.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    CrispyCSW

Cheers guy's, XT it is then.

timbercombe
    Free Member

PG990 (Red), XT, XTR and apparently SLX is enough or so a mate says, steel freehub's an option but at £55 a pop and 60g weight gain for centre rotantional weight, not worth it in my opinion.
    Next cassette I'm getting will be SLX.

solamanda
    Free Member

No way is it worth buying a carrier cassette to avoid the marks. I've got an alloy body on it's 4th cassette and it's still fine. Each cassette cheapo steel non carrier types. It requires a special technique to remove but it's fine.

It's all a myth to avoid numpty mtbers complaining about an irrelevant cosmetic issue.

daveb
    Free Member

I have ProII hubs and have used an SLX cassette and everything is fine. Been using it for about 7 months.

ed80
    Free Member

I agree with Solamanda. I've had a cheapo Shimano cassette on my Patriot for a couple of years and there's nothing but cosmetic damage. It came specced like that from Orange so I assume it's OK.

Andy-W
    Free Member

I have a SRAM PG980 11-34 ready to fit to my Pro 2 Hub
    I take it that there is no probs with fitting that ????

Cheers

chvck
    Free Member

I've got a PG980…it still cuts into the pro2 freehub body but hasn't caused any real damage, just a few grooves

devs
    Free Member

I use SRAM 980s nae bother. SLX are probably ok. I put a 970 on and it took me ages and a lot of swearing to get it off. I'm not sure the damage caused would be just cosmetic if left long enough but I have no intention of finding out. Just don't pay the silly prices for XT or 990, there still plenty of cheap ones to be had if you search.

Steve-P
    Free Member

I ran x2 XT cassettes on my Pro 2 gold alloy freehub – and ended up with grooves so bad I struggled to get the second XT off.

Thinking about it now, I wonder if I hadn't done the cassette up tight enough – allowing the last 3-4 rings to move. Dunno.

Anyway – I binned the cheese freehub and paid to have a steel freehub put back on and now run PG990…no problems. And its now quieter….

I like things that are robust and work – and that i can pull apart without swearing…

S

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I had a Deore cassette on mine for a while and though it did gouge the freehub it didn't really seem to be a problem.

GaryLake
    Free Member

I've used all manner of cassettes on mine and they all groove it, I find just removing it periodically as part of maintenance routine and refitting helps prevent it grooving so much and jamming.

solamanda
    Free Member

I'm not sure the damage caused would be just cosmetic if left long enough but I have no intention of finding out.

The cost of a new freehub isn't that high when you consider:

Extra cost of a carrier cassette

The alloy freehub easily outlasts 4 cassettes

A freehub that has done the mileage for 4 + cassettes will soon require new bearings/prawls

Bearings/prawls come with a new freehub

You can choose a steel freehub to replace

Do the maths, its ALOT cheaper to ignore the issue.

devs
    Free Member

The alloy freehub easily outlasts 4 cassettes

Now I'm a big chap and I put down a lot more power than most so this might not apply to many but the damage I did with a 970 cassette in just 3 weeks was enough to convince me. It took me and a pal (both engineers) ages to get it off. I was only taking it off to swap wheels between bikes. Individual rings had snapped their rivetting together and some had dug in considerably more than others. If it had been left there probably would have been shifting problems initially and I reckon that some of the rings could have mangled their way right round. I have bought a steel freehub but use 980 or XT on my other alloy ones and haven't had anything like the same damage since. There are those little cosmetic dents however on some of the rings.
    As an aside I have only ever had to replace the main hub bearings and got new springs for nowt from the nice man at the trade stall at Fort Bill. Everything else is like new. Your maths may well be correct but I would not be happy and would not have the confidence to take a mangled hub out into the hills. When you can pick up 980s for £30 I don't see the need.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Tip of the week for stuck sprockets:

Use a second chain whip to pull the stuck ones backward. Then they just fall off.

I even found small gouges in my hope xc ti freehub body. I think it's something we just have to live with. The standard will probably eventually be replaced with the one from shimano dura-ace and ultegra wheelsets and cassettes. Same shape, but much deeper splines.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Which cassettes are OK to use with Hope Hubs?’ is closed to new replies.