Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Which cassette?
  • bish

Hi,
    I’m after a new 9 speed cassette as i’ve just got some hope hoops and don’t want to gouge the freehub with my old deore cassette, i think i’ve narrowed it down to either the sram pg990 or the shimano xt, anyone got any opinions on either of these or any other recomendations?
    Thanks.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Which ever is cheapest of those two 🙂

I’ve had both and TBH and not really noticed much diff. in performance or longevity!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

xt

prezet
    Free Member

XT. Although I run the SLX cassette on my Hope hub and it’s fine…

alfabus
    Free Member

good deals on xt cassettes at on-one a couple of weeks ago… not sure if they are still around.

Northwind

SLX or XT. SRAM are generally more expensive for comparable results. Check the german shops before buying btw!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

TDK SA90. Always my favourite compromise between price and performance.

Note: I may not have thoroughly read the entire post.

Northwind

muppetWrangler – Member

TDK SA90. Always my favourite compromise between price and performance.

79p from Richer Sounds, bargin.

foxyrider
    Free Member

79p from Richer Sounds, bargin.

Blast from the past!!! Remember recording Radio 1 Chart show to get the latest tunes 🙂

bish

Ha ha, thanks for the replies, they’re both going for around £45 at merlin so no difference in the price, xt still the best of the 2?

alfabus
    Free Member

If they are the same price, then XT every time!

zilog6128

The pg980 is also an option with hope hubs and should be cheaper than 990/xt

andyl
    Free Member

cough**check out Rose bikes**cough

scottalej
    Free Member

PG980. I’ve been using these for years with no issues. £34

bish

Thanks again, I will have a think and have a look on rose bikes too.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I have 2 bikes with Hope pro 2’s. I have an XT rear cassette on one and an SRAM ‘redwin’ on the other. I was doing a swtcheroo with the wheels in between bikes yesterday but wanted to keep the cassettes as they were as the rest on the drive trains remained as it was. I had to hammer (light one with a pin punch) them both off due to large burrs on the freehub and then dress said burrs out before refitting. Does this sound typical? Both cassettes are compatible as they both have alloy carriers I believe, and all less than 12 months old. It’s all working fine again but wondering what I’ll find when winter spits the bikes out at the other side.

Partial high jack of thread, sorry.

prezet
    Free Member

Yes it’s normal. Not all sprockets can be on the carrier, and it is these ones that cut into the freehub.
    Not much you can do about it other than converting to the steel body freehub.

chakaping
    Free Member

TDK were the shiznit!

XT for me now though.

andyl
    Free Member

How does lock right tightness affect the damage? I am wondering how many people actually torque up the lock ring, how many are wusses and how many just do it FT.

alpowell
    Free Member

I had to make the same decision last week – went for XT £42 0n CRC.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Which cassette?’ is closed to new replies.