Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Which Car mechanic dilemma
  • wolfenstein
    Free Member

My clutch needs replacement and i try to get a quote from mr. Clutch and received reply with reference # costing £429.88 price includes con slave cylinder vehicle fitted with a dual mass flywheel….

……Then i went to my friendly local garage.. The owner/mechanic there is really a good chap.. I always go there for all my car troubles and he is always spot on even would go extra mile to source me cheap but reliable parts before and would always fit me to his schedule that i want.. However today, he told me the cost would be around £600 🙁 …should i go to mr. Clutch instead? ….. The closest mr.clutch autocentre to my place is 34miles and that means i will have to wait there if they have waiting room (i dont mind really if they allow it)

Cheers all.

andyl
    Free Member

how much to ditch the DMF?

What make clutch are they both quoting for?

wolfenstein
    Free Member

No idea about DMF mate.. But both says replacement clutch kit+DMF+con slave cylinder.. If this makes sense.

And dont know what brand is the replacement.. Mr.clutch probably bought their stuff like wholesale probably why it comes cheap.. My local mech always put the good one..(as i believe) i remember before i want a cheap part of my car that needs replacement which he refused to fit as its made of cheese and dont want me to keep coming back because of it.

sundaywobbler

A few questions…

What car?
    Are Mr Clutch replacing the DMF or quoting on taking the chance it will be ok?

If you are keeping the car I would suggest replacing the DMF with a standard flywheel. DMFs are pretty rubbish, clever idea but rubbish. A lot of after market clutch manufacturers will supply a new flywheel hence the increase in cost.

However based on your post I would suggest going with your tried and trusted mechanic rather than taking a chance with Mr Clutch.

Just re read and if the cost is in the region of 450 you could be stuck in their waiting room for a few hours…

wolvesdug
    Free Member

My experience with Mr Clutch would say go to your local mechanic.

finishthat
    Free Member

local you trust definitely

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I would suggest steering clear of Mr Clutch, but it’s your call 😉

FWIW I would price up the parts on somewhere like eurocarparts & then take off about 5% for a normal garage discount, Mr Clutch probably get about 25% off ECP prices, so take it from there.
    Then find out how long it would take to change the clutch, times are available on-line, work on about £50ph & see what you come up with.

Cheers.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Car is ford focus 2.0 tdci mk2 “06” reg on 89k mileage. The quote means replacement of all includes dmf + con slave cylinder.

..i thought a lot of people compalin about single flywheel making vibrations and such?…

…..and i will be keeping the car, as i have changed most parts already that needs changing (car age wise) ..and i know minor repairs for this particular car already.

…i really want to tell my local mechanic that mr. Clutch quote is £171 lesser.. Would it be wise?

br
    Free Member

…i really want to tell my local mechanic that mr. Clutch quote is £171 lesser.. Would it be wise?

Mr Clutch is a 70 mile round-trip and you’ll loose a day taking/waiting etc. Surely with your local guy you can just drop it off and not loose the day?

Offroading
    Free Member

As a mechanic and garage owner myself think of it like this.

Quality costs more.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Cheers all, that settles it. My local mechanic it is.. Tbh i am more happy to spend my hard earned cash to his end.. And his garage is just a 10minute walk from my house 🙂

chewkw
    Free Member

Go to your trusted local garage for a big job like that. Never a stranger you never been to before.

He might even fix your car for free (I bet he will) next time if it’s just a very small job.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Which Car mechanic dilemma’ is closed to new replies.