Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Which car headlight bulbs?
  • King-ocelot
    Free Member

Last night my headlight bulb went. Are those clear/blue bulbs worth the extra money over standard bulbs? Do they actually give better visibility? Most of my night driving is on country lanes.

nealglover
    Free Member

Depends what car you have really, and what sort of voltage you are getting at the bulbs ?

Some cars have a lot of voltage drop in the loom, and upgrading the bulbs will make very little difference (a fair few VW’s for instance)

But if you get decent voltage, then Osram Nightbreaker+ are very good bulbs. (about £20 a pair on eBay)

higgo
    Free Member

Halfords ‘Extreme Brilliance’ ones worked for me and are still doing fine 10months later….

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/upgrade-car-headlight-bulbs

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Osram nightbreaker here too, made a big difference to my std bulbs.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Thanks, I have a celica with standard bulbs. I should add I will need to get the bulbs this morning as I plan in using the car tonight so need to sort it out now. Think I will see if someone local has the nightbraker bulbs.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I brought the Halfords 120% bright extreme brilliance ones for £29.99 BOGOF. They are indeed much better than the bulbs I had before, particularly noticeable as expected on unlit country lanes. Well worth the £10 over a standard pair of bulbs, thanks for the advice 🙂

john_drummer
    Free Member

are they the ones I always see really badly adjusted in my mirrors?

Aristotle
    Free Member

Some cars have a lot of voltage drop in the loom, and upgrading the bulbs will make very little difference (a fair few VW’s for instance)

Very easily resolved with cable and relays, and then the standard bulbs will be brighter.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

are they the ones I always see really badly adjusted in my mirrors?

Not since I only just fitted them, however look out for me in future with badly adjusted lights in a mirror near you.

leopardf
    Free Member

they are just not worth

z1ppy

Lidl were doing a couple of model’s, 2 for a fiver, ace for me as my g/f kills her car (dipped) headlights regularly & as Halford charge a tenner for one it’s a bargain… no idea how but she kills the light but both her previous car and the new one regularly goes through bulbs.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Cause you use cheap bulbs from aldi perhaps ?

Mrs tr has them clear/ blue hid things in her golf and they are great in dry – in the wet they are horrific

z1ppy

… stupid comment, being as this is the first time we’ve used them or even seen the sold.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

A week later and I like the Halfords ones I brought. It’s like you’ve had your eyes cleaned.

OrangeChammy
    Free Member

Osram nightbreakers are great – and about 13 quid on ebay – rrp is around £23 or so. I do notice the difference. The Lidl bulbs were good too and lasted well – not as good as osrams though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Which car headlight bulbs?’ is closed to new replies.