Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Which car breakdown cover?
  • mau00149
    Free Member

Time for new car breakdown cover for me and the wife. Cars are in good condition and looked after (2006 with 50K). Currently have joint policy of Roadside and recovery with RAC.

What do people recommend at the moment? Any deals going?

Jamie
    Free Member

I’m with AutoAid. Never used them and it’s been great for my wallet.

Northwind

They’ve all had their ups and downs for me but AA have been generally excellent- I had a dude spend about an hour rewiring bits of my Focus at the roadside, because the garages were shut, he wasn’t supposed to do any of that because I only had the cheapo cover. Quick excellent service when the mondeo turbo’d itself too. Oh and it was pretty cheap, with a topcashback discount.

RAC embarassed themselves a few times for me- refusing to come out to a hill road because I didn’t have a postcode or house number (there were no houses), refusing to send a recovery truck for a motorbike that had been on fire, a van had to come and assess first- took 2 hours, he got out of the van and said “that’s been on fire, you need a recovery truck” and got back in. The actual crews were always good but the control was terrible.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Yak

AA have been fantastic when I ran old dodgy cars that often broke down. Now I’m on slightly less ropey cars I’ve taken the risk and gone cheap – Tesco.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Axa assistance, 45 quid with recovery and home start. Fixed a flat on the scoob a few years ago in 30 mins, admittedly I was on the motorway with kids.

hora
    Free Member

OP how often do you breakdown? If your car is in good condition/well maintained and you listen and inspect it regularly do you need it?

manvstarmac

We changed from regular breakdown cover to Auto Aid a number of years ago when I heard them recommended on a money programme on the radio.

It costs us about £40 to cover my wife and I in any car and includes cover from home but you do need to be aware of what it is…..

It’s essentially ‘breakdown insurance’. If you break down then you, or they can if you want them to, arrange a local mechanic or recovery truck and you pay. Afterwards you complete a form and send off your receipt(s) and they send you a cheque.

We’ve used it once in about the last seven years when I missfuelled and they repaid the bill for the guy to come and empty my tank. I think my cheque arrived within a few days.

You don’t get:

– a smart membership pack (we made our own cards the first year, but now I just have the number in my phone)

– a van and mechanic wearing a uniform; it’ll be the local garage (or you can call your own garage if you’re near enough)

I don’t think you get (but you can check):

– the chance to upgrade to cover being abroad

– cover for trailers which are too big (we had concerns about towing a horsebox)

It’s been a great money saver for us and I suspect for most people with a credit card in their pocket and a vaguely reliable car it would be a good option (particularly if you’re married as your spouse is covered free).

matt_outandabout

Autoaid here as well, and same experience as previous post.

jota180
    Free Member

You can actually join the AA from the side of the road if you break down.
    IIRC it doesn’t cost much more than doing it before the fact either, you wont get all the savings you could going through the likes of Quidco etc. but it’s even cheaper if you don’t break down.

Me, I’m with ADAC as it gives me full Euro cover regardless of what I’m driving or riding.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Which car breakdown cover?’ is closed to new replies.