Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Which Cannon DSLR?
  • db

Little help from the photographers on here

My daughter is doing A level photography and I’m thinking of getting her a DSLR for Christmas. I know they can borrow Cannon cameras from school so makes sense that it is Cannon so she can borrow lenses etc.
    But I’m a little confused 1100D, 600D, 100D?

Any advice welcome as I just point and click so don’t really understand the differences

many thanks
    db

coffeeking
    Free Member

Pretty much any Canon EF-S lens will fit almost any of the non-full frame cameras -i.e. if you’re looking at anything with a XXD code or a XXXD or XXXXD,the crop sensor (EF-S) lenses will fit. If you stray into the 6D, 5D world you’re into full frame world where the lenses are slightly different.

bearnecessities

If you can go s/h, a 5D Mk1 seems a good idea @ £370ish s/h for a good one, boxed. Get a 50mm prime lens (about £50 boxed again s/h).

There are many folk here, way more qualified to comment than me though!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    seavers
    Free Member
    seavers
    Free Member

5D Mk1 seems a good idea

Great cameras, had one and then 5d2 and now got a 3. They are old tech now and if you think about her keeping it for a few years it will be ancient. 50mm prime is the way to go if you don’t get a kit.

Edit. The newer cameras now have a lot more features, video, better in low light, bigger screen etc. I would get her something less limiting.

db

Ok so would make sense (if I understand) to find out if the school ones are XD or XXD/XXXD etc and then get the same range so she can borrow lenses which will fit.

I was just looking at jeesops deals just now – what is the difference between DC or IS lenses? 😕

thanks

coffeeking
    Free Member

50mm prime is a nice lens but very limited in chances to use it IMO (I have a couple), lovely images from them but they take a lot of composing for. Something like a 24-105 L is a great walkaround lens.

5D1 is old kit but still one of the best image qualities you can get. 5D3 isstill very expensive. I got a 5DII recently and I’m more than happy with it over the 20D. If looking for good deals, check out flashcamera.co.uk – bought a couple of L lenses from him happily.

seavers
    Free Member

DC is something to do with the motor in the lens, IS is image stabilisation. I don’t think Dc lenses have IS. IS is a nice feature for shooting in low light.

coffeeking
    Free Member

IS are image stabilised. DC are cheaper autofocus and not IS unless it says IS. Expensive lenses use ultrasonic motors and a few other technologies, basic lenses use a bog standard DC motor to focus – slower and less accurate. Depends on your budget and intended target. IS doesn’t mean it’s not a DC AF.

seavers
    Free Member

Something like a 24-105 L is a great walkaround lens.

Very good lens but also very expensive, good glass make all the difference but you can great kit lenses these days.

Have a look at this site. It has comprehensive reviews of all things canon!

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-Lens-Reviews.aspx

jad
    Free Member

Spend the money on lenses. Good lenses hold their value compared to camera bodies. They also make by far the biggest difference to picture quality. The difference in image quality between a 100d, 1100d, 600d will be practically unnoticeable as they all use the same cropped sensor technology (more or less). However they may have other features you want like more autofocus points or tilt-able screens.

db

Thanks all – lots to think about and read up on – appreciate input

db

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Check out here for secondhand with warranty. http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk

Conqueror
    Free Member

Yes I know my comment might anger some… BUT

Pentax K-30

You will be hard pressed to find a better value camera of any type than the K-30 at its current sell off price…

Spend enough time googling and this be apparent

That comparison site (which should be treated with care) shows this also:

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-600d-vs-Pentax-K-30

No need to worry about adverse conditions because it is weather sealed you can shoot in the rain (if you have the WR lens)

Also no need to worry about buying stabilised lenses. In body stabilisation on the K-30 means any lens you fit will be stabilised

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Used 40D would be my choice, no video, but nice solid 10mp camera with live view and sensor cleaning gizmo in line with the more modern bodies.

Had two of them and one did over 70k clicks before I sold it so no problem with reliability

Still got a 5D and although rather old now as someone else said hard to beat for pure image quality

My daughter had a 550D and that was very decent too, another one to look at secondhand

xxxD and xxD models will take all Canon fit lenses including the EF-S ones so probably the best bet

butcher

Personally, I would recommend the xxD series. For regular and experienced photographers, the controls are laid out so much more conveniently than on the cheaper xxxD and xxxxD series. These were once the semi-pro option, though they keep introducing all kinds of new models and confusing matters.

For a beginner, an xD series would seem a bit much (to me, anyway), but I guess that depends on how much money you have to spare…

If budget is a concern, there’s some great second hand cameras out there. As with any kind of electronics, the technology moves fast. Some of the newer models are great in low light, and they have the option to record video, which are two big selling points of new cameras. But generally speaking, you can go back many years, and the image quality will be more than enough. The real quality is in the lenses. For a student, something like a 40d wouldn’t be a bad buy. And it would leave you with a bit to spend on glass.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Yes I know my comment might anger some… BUT

Pentax K-30

Except the school/college will not have any pentax lenses to borrow and you can’t shoot tethered to a laptop (which is handy if you shoot anything studio based). Seems pointless to limit your lens availability.
    Personally I would get the cheapest canon aps-c with live view whatever model that is?

Conqueror
    Free Member

Except the school/college will not have any pentax lenses to borrow and you can’t shoot tethered to a laptop (which is handy if you shoot anything studio based). Seems pointless to limit your lens availability.
    Personally I would get the cheapest canon aps-c with live view whatever model that is?

Presumably whatever brand/model is bought one day this person will leave school and even whilst at school might invest in glass as suggested

Lots of decent legacy glass to be had for Pentax because even film era lenses will fit with no adaptation… on ebay you can find some real gems without spending much money

oyon
    Free Member

20D was a step-change in DSLR. The 30/40/50 didn’t really add much. If you can find a good one on ebay, that leaves you a lot of money for serious L grade glass.

Don’t get too caught up by “features” – go for image quality. An older camera with amazing lenses is the easiest route!

micos145
    Free Member

This is a real minefield. There is a dizzying array of Canon cameras and each has a different price point and feature set. I think you should consider budget, ie what you deem reasonable and buy the best camera within that. I would steer away from 2nd hand and go for legitimate store as the follow up service will be good.

Older cameras may have similar pixel/photosite count and full frame but have older sensors. The newer Digic 4 and 5 sensors from Canon allow great low light capability, still good at 2000 asa, making cheaper f4/5.6 lenses more viable. They also offer better picture quality with less noise etc.

The 60D is cheap and also gives you video capability. This is a cropped sensor APS-C which means you can use all Canon fit APS-C lenses on it. The 5D II is a great full frame workhorse and despite my advice from the above because of the number of these around you can still find a great example of this camera. As far as the APS-C vs full frame argument is concerned in terms of image size to camera type, the canon 10-22mm is sort of equivalent to the 17-40mm full frame on a 5D II. They are what I would recommend as a Canon wide angle for each of those cameras. The 24-105mm is superb, I have recently bought one for about £600 new and I really like it.

IMO go for a camera at a budget you can afford but don’t skimp on lenses, IF this is something that will stand the test of time. You will continually utilise a great lens and avoid a bad lens. Faster lenses are generally better and IS, image stabilisation really helps. Do not confuse good lenses with expensive though. Sigma have brought out an 18-30 T2.8 for about £700 which is amazing. This and a Canon 24-105 f4 would see you through most needs. You tend to keep lenses and swap bodies.

Just my opinions of course. 🙂

Good luck

MarkLG
    Free Member

600D or 100D. Nice lightweight, compact cameras with all the features she’s likely to need.
    60D is a bigger body, and the extra buttons allow you to change settings more quickly, rather than having to use the menus. Worth considering if you can get one for a good price, as it’s now been replaced by the 70D.
    Anything further up the range would be a bit OTT at this stage. Something like a 5DII would be a big outlay, especially when you factor in the price of appropriate lenses. It’s also a big, heavy camera which may put her off taking it out day to day.
    In reality I reckon she’d be delighted with a 600D with a kit lens at this stage. If your budget allows spend it on upgrading the lens. You can always trade it in for one of the more sophisticated models if she really gets into photography.

grum
    Free Member

+1

Cougar

Having just read up on it because it wasn’t a model number I recognised, I’m struggling to see any reason why “100D” isn’t the answer here. It’s a 650D in a smaller box, ~fifty quid cheaper.

May be of use:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Canon_EOS_digital_cameras

nickdavies

For a first canon, i’d struggle to look past the 600d that amazon have on for £400 with the kit lens, 40mm prime and £30 cashback. Save the bigger stuff to her to grow into.

Yes it’s two models old but perfectly good and for the money you’ll have to look second hand for something newer. First with the flip screen which is great for video use.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Which Cannon DSLR?’ is closed to new replies.