Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Which Canary Island would you go to for a week's self-guided MTB bimble?
  • no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Didn’t get much sense from this last night, so I thought I’d try again!

Out of the main cheapo islands, which would you go for to ride XC-ish trails, i.e. no silly freeriding or full-face stuff. I probably won’t have any transport either, so trails from the doorstep would be a plus!

Any of them?

None?

Are the Canaries all just best for lying on the beach and drinking beer?

Hmmm?

psling
    Free Member

I’d have said Tenerife because it’s bigger, has more variety, and a big mountain in the middle 8) Having said that, there are dry, stoney, dusty trails on most of the islands.

swisstony
    Free Member

I’ve ridden a fair bit in Tenerife, out on my own and guided with Lavatrax. The really good stuff is up in Teide national park but biking isn’t allowed but there is loads of other riding if you can find it. The problem is i couldn’t find any dedicated mountain bike route guides but there is loads of walking routes so buy one of those. The other big plus point is you can fit you bike in the hold of the buses so just get a bus up as high as you can ( the volcano is right in the middle) and explore the way down to the coast

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I spent two weeks in Tenerife staying with a friend who lives over there and it was stunning.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

have a look at gran canaria. loads of cheap places to stay around masapolomas (very touristy) but just a short’ish drive inland and you start to hit the mountains and its a bit more foresty than other places.

swisstony
    Free Member

nice link mogrim, i’m sure i’ve done this one

http://es.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/imgServer.do?id=399457

off again in easter so will try some of the others

ebygomm
    Free Member

We’ve got an AA map of Tenerife at 1:50,000 scale that has lots of bike routes marked on it. No idea of quality though.

I’m not sure if this online mapping site displays them

http://sigpac.mapa.es/fega/visor/ (requires Microsoft silverlight)

We’ve biked in Gran Canaria too, plenty there, but not sure how feasible for self guided. More in terms of getting to start/end points than the actual guiding

RoterStern
    Free Member

I’d miss Fuerteventura for MTBing. The only greenery on the island is around the hotels and if you come off your bike and land on the volcanic rocks your are in a whole world of hurt.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Cheers guys, some great advice there! And those map links are brilliant!

Looks like I’ll be going to Tenerife then! Sweet 🙂

Hanky

I would also vote for Tenerife.

Did a day with the guys below – the long way down route – fantastic.

Lava Trax

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

I thought that the trails in Fuerteventura were ok, The south of the island has mountains large hills and what it lacks in greenery it makes up for with goats.

lightningbolt
    Free Member

Lanzarote has some sweet trails but guiding is best as nothing is marked so finding the best stuff is difficult on your own. if you want some sweet guided riding come and see me at Evolution bikes on las cucharas beach front in costa teguise.

jwt
    Free Member

James McKnight who writes for Dirt did a recent piece on one of the Canary islands, I’ll dig it out and post up which issue, with a quick potted synopsis.

Potdog
    Free Member

Will save you the hassle on the Dirt article.

Dirt Magazine – Issue 106 – Tenerife with Lavatrax

Don’t rule out a guided ride or two to get your bearings ;o)

kaesae
    Free Member

I have friends who do MTB tours and rentals in Lanzarote, do you want me to put you in touch with them?

grantway
    Free Member

Tenerife has the highest points and i think MBR done a ride out there
    Dont think you can ride down the volcano but there is a chair lift service.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

no_eyed_deer – Member
    Didn’t get much sense from this last night, so I thought I’d try again!

Out of the main cheapo islands, which would you go for to ride XC-ish trails, i.e. no silly freeriding or full-face stuff. I probably won’t have any transport either, so trails from the doorstep would be a plus!

Any of them?

None?

Are the Canaries all just best for lying on the beach and drinking beer?

Hmmm?

Lived in Tenerife for 2.5 years, do alreet in MTB races over here, loads of top tens and top 5 in these national enduro events, even though im 40 FFS !!.

Done all the Canaries, Inc the minute ones like La Gomera (F00kin very mountainous) and would vote for Tenerife first of all.

Lots of climbing but you can climb as hard as you want in Tenerife.

One photo enclosed which was about 8 years ago of my German training partner Olaf, also quite good for altitude training as the peak you can see is 3718 meters.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I love climbing more than anything (I’m probably fairly rubbish downhill!), so this should suit me! Inspiring photo too!

Great Dirt Mag link also..

😀

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Which Canary Island would you go to for a week's self-guided MTB bimble?’ is closed to new replies.