Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Which camping oven?
  • sazter

Is Cobb the best option or are there others out there worth a look? I have a twin burner coleman stove for hob cooking, the brukit for quick things, a kelly kettle for boiling water and keeping the midgies away and some rubbishy cheap bucket bbq’s.

I would like to be able to roast stuff and use it as a bbq, am semi contemplating a bit of long term vanlife (with a bigger van than I have now) in the future so it might get used on a daily basis for a while so I want a good one. I prefer the idea of coals rather than gas.

Cheers!

cakefacesmallblock

I’m a big fan of the Cobb and like its versatility.
    The ‘cobblestone ‘ re hashed coconut shell fuel blocks are brilliant and you can be cooking within a minute of lighting them.
    Pizza cooks really nicely and the wok is useful too.
    Undoubtedly , roasting is its true forte, it’s good to be able to cook a full meal in one oven.
    It’s main drawback, though for me, is that whilst roasting is all well and good, after a day riding, walking or whatever, I like to get back to the van and eat pretty soon after. It’s fine if you have the time, but a couple of hours waiting for food can be an issue and I usually resort to the stove and some pasta or rice, with a chilli or bolognese, prepped earlier, just heated through. Wash pan and plate, Job done.
    Great , if you have the time and handy to put the kettle on after cooking, to heat water on residual heat for washing up after

rene59
    Free Member

Is Cobb the best option

Yes, without a doubt.

It’s main drawback, though for me, is that whilst roasting is all well and good, after a day riding, walking or whatever, I like to get back to the van and eat pretty soon after.

So do I which is why I put a bit less coals in and put the food in to cook before I go out and it’s ready by the time I get back.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sandwicheater

An oven, for camping? As in camping with an oven, this be crazy talk, crazy I say! I’ve seen you all wrapping presents when it’s no ones birthday.

trailhound101

You need to retitle the post “which WOODBURNER for camping” … that’ll alert The Crew to your plight!

cakefacesmallblock

Rene59:

I’d tend to go with the putting it to cook whilst out. Good to allow meat to rest , yes, but a whole day out will result in cold veg if you put them to cook at the same time.

sazter

All sounding good so far, thanks for the feedback! Yes, a WOODBURNER for my VAN is more like it, eh? Well I am after something for the bigger meals and roasting, so much like at home I am willing to wait for that or put it on and have food ready on my return. I will be keeping the other cooking equipment bar the bbq buckets so will have plenty of options. I am not getting one now, but if I do move into my van in the future I think it will be a wise investment! 😉

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Which camping oven?’ is closed to new replies.