Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Which camera detector?
  • xterramac
    Free Member

I realise this post is not bike related, but I am sure there are some of you out there can hopefully offer some advice. (other than slow down etc etc)

A brief lack of concentration combined with Dorset’s recent high number of speed camera vans has resulted in not one but two speeding tickets landing on the door mat this week.
    So I want to purchase a speed camera detector and avoid any more points and fines.

So, which is best one to go for ?

Cheers
    Mac

wwaswas

who’s first then?

Drac

You could take it as a lesson not to speed.

Klunk
    Free Member

most mobile vans use laser based systems, by the time the detectors registered it’s already too late.

psling
    Free Member

You want us to aid and abet you in the potential killing of a child? 🙄

[how’s that wwaswas? 😉 ]

legend
    Free Member

Klunk – Member
    most mobile vans use laser based systems, by the time the detectors registered it’s already too late.

have laser jammers been made illegal yet? (Not sure how effective they are anyway)

konabunny
    Free Member

grum
    Free Member

You want us to aid and abet you in the potential killing of a child?

[how’s that wwaswas? ]

Textbook.

Cougar

You need to improve your observation. (Or, y’know, slow down). Speeding with your eyes shut is a bad combination.

My experience of ‘detectors’ is unfavourable. The ones designed to pick up RF also pick up things like traffic lights and give so many false positives that you just start to ignore it. Lasers are instant so, assuming it’s possible to detect them reliably, all it’ll tell you is “you’re knicked, sunshine.”

Does your local plod publish where they’re going to be patrolling? Some do.

legend
    Free Member

Does your local plod publish where they’re going to be patrolling? Some do.

which reminds me that a lot of GPS ‘scanners’ will warn you of likely spots for mobile cameras

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Has to be a troll, surely. But he’ll I find sticking to the speed limit works a treat. It’s your fault, no one else’s.

scaled
    Free Member

You can get laser diffusers, they’re illegal though as far as i’m aware

legend
    Free Member

Well this lot reckon laser jammers are legal: http://www.radar-detectors.co.uk/laser_star_pro.asp

Cougar

You can get laser diffusers, they’re illegal though as far as i’m aware

Presumably the boys in blue would be able to detect the use of such a device if their speed camera suddenly went mad, too.

scaled
    Free Member

http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/jamlaw.htm

Suggests that although the jammers aren’t illegal using one in a vehicle can be construed as perverting the course of justice.

konabunny
    Free Member

Well this lot reckon laser jammers are legal:

that page doesn’t say using laser jammers is legal; their “the law” page doesn’t say laser jammers is legal; “the law” page isn’t written by a lawyer, let alone one with experience in this field; and they sell them for a living. It’s not the most convincing statement!

legend
    Free Member

I was going on the fact that they are openly selling them from within the UK, with big DONT BUY THESE THEY’RE ILLEGAL banners 🙄

D0NK

there’s plenty of legal items sold across this country that can be used for illegal purposes.

TooTall
    Free Member

http://www.dorsetroadsafe.org.uk/enforcement/camera-sites/mobile-camera-sites

That is a list of most of their mobile sites. Was it any of those that caught you?

konabunny
    Free Member

they are openly selling them from within the UK, with big DONT BUY THESE THEY’RE ILLEGAL banners

I don’t see any banners. Maybe they’re blocked in my browser.

McHamish
    Free Member

Don’t you know you’re supposed to set fire to speed cameras when they flash at you.

That’s what any normal law abiding citizen does when the things catch you speeding.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Which camera detector?’ is closed to new replies.